INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help me understand why Smartlist rules isn't working  (Read 1281 times)

Lunatique

• World Citizen
Help me understand why Smartlist rules isn't working
« on: December 28, 2014, 10:00:39 pm »

It seems that when I use Smartlist, I can't have more than one rule that specifies "Filename (path)" "starts with" and then whatever folder I want to be included, otherwise nothing shows up at all. Does that mean if I have two rules specifying two different folders I want included, neither shows up because Smartlist thinks the files need to satisfy both rules in order to be accepted? If that's the case, how should I set up multiple folders I want the Smartlist to include?

I know I can set up one directory up and then set up rules excluding which folders I want to exclude, but in some situations that's way too much work, such as when I only need to include a couple of folders within a directory that has dozens of folders. It would be much easier to just include a couple of folders instead of setting up exclusions for dozens of folders.

marko

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Help me understand why Smartlist rules isn't working
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2014, 12:09:47 am »

Set up your two filename (path) rules, and then click in the dead space at each end of the two rules to "OR" them...

as outlined here --> http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=46456.0

To see what the wizard does in the background, you can click the import/export button to see the raw search string.

-marko

Lunatique

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2014, 12:22:25 am »

Thanks!

You know, for a piece of software that doesn't actually do any content creation (such as Photoshop, Premier, Maya, ProTools, etc), MC is ridiculously complex from a user's perspective (which is also it's strength too, if you are very tech savvy and have programming experience). I can't think of any other software I use that is this complex and confusing while not meant for creating content.

I guess I have a love/hate relationship with MC. I hate it when I can't figure @hit out and must come to the forums to ask for help, but once I do set up all the customization correctly, I love how it does exactly what I want (well, almost...).

FLAP

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2015, 07:04:53 am »

Hi,

New here and fairly new to MC, but I found this post when I was trying to figure out Smartlists, and wanted to +1 it. 

The "Help" button on Smartlists took me to a Wiki which contained lots of language rules for making a playlist, but on closer inspection it related to an old version - i.e. MC15 (?) and not the wizard in MC20.

There is nothing in the interface that makes anyone think that the "dead space" at the beginning of each rule is clickable or even might be, let alone what the brackets might do - so it's not very intuitive. 

Fwiw, in case anyone else is trying to do this, I was trying to create a dynamic "smartlist" that updated according to the first letters of the Album Artist (i.e. 'Artists A-K') - it was driving me nuts that as soon as I added a second letter, everything disappeared from the list - i.e. I was working on the assumption (maybe my craziness) that the rules were cumulative ("and") not exclusive ("or").

So the answer is to use these hidden brackets.  That aren't mentioned in the help section.  No idea what the square brackets might be, the curved ones did me fine!

FLAP

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2015, 08:32:35 am »

I'm not sure where the help link takes you on the Wiki.  I'd be willing to bet the documentation for the actual visual Smartlist builder tool needs overhauled.  However, if you're looking for documentation on the underlying search system, there is great documentation for that here:

http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Search_Language
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

FLAP

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2015, 12:36:53 pm »

Hi

Thanks for replaying - for reference, this is where the link takes you: http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Smartlists

Which is all well and good, except it doesn't talk about or even refer to the Wizard (which is what you are jumping from when you click "Help")!

I understand MC has powerful underlying search tools; my point was that the UI isn't intuitive or self-explanatory (and I consider myself a relatively "exploratory" sort of user, although I'm no expert). So I was reinforcing the OP's point, really.

FLAP
Pages: [1]   Go Up