INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Kitchen speakers  (Read 2110 times)

gavjs

• Recent member
Kitchen speakers
« on: February 06, 2015, 05:47:14 am »

Hi

I'm looking at installing some speakers in the ceiling of a new kitchen and am trying to figure out the best way to get music from my server in there.

I was using iTunes but have not had great experiences trying to load the central library on remote devices which has resulted in me finding JRiver.

I now have this installed on my windows server, and the macs / phones in the house are now connected and working great.

Question is what is the best way to get the sound into the kitchen.  I'd really like to be able to use the JRemote app on my iPhone to control the kitchen and am unsure whether it would work with something like this:

http://www.ceiling-speakers.co.uk/VAST-V-H500-Wireless-AirplayDNLA-Amplifier-accessories-417.asp

I tried to see if there was an HTPC device that had direct speaker outputs but that does not seem to be an option.

Any suggestions appreciated!

Thanks,
Gavin

Hilton

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Kitchen speakers
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2015, 06:22:08 am »

Great find there.. That device should do nicely, you'll be able to push music to it from the MC20 server and control it with JRemote.
It will appear as a DLNA zone on the MC20 server and you can just select the zone in JRemote and then select what you want to play from the library.

You should also be able to play AirPlay to it from MC20 for synchronised audio if you follow my TuneBlade thread in the AirPlay forum.
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=90712.msg654642#msg654642

gavjs

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2015, 06:58:53 am »

Thanks for the feedback - all makes sense.

Cheers,
Gavin

gavjs

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2015, 07:11:21 am »

And I'm going to have a play around with TuneBlade too - thanks for the link...

gavjs

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2015, 05:29:20 am »

Hi

Ive been having some issues trying to get Tuneblade working properly.

At first Tuneblade complained about a lack of a Media Features Pack (I am running Windows Server 2012).

I installed this and there are now no error messages.  Everything is configured as you suggest in JR, Tuneblade, Airfoil etc, but the sound is not working.  I've taken a screengrab where you can see that there is sound in JR and the sounds view of the control panel, but not in the volume options or Tuneblade.  I suspect that this means there's an issue somewhere in windows but not really sure where.

Appreciate any assistance here.

Thanks
Gavin

PS - if you want me to shift this into your thread or a new thread let me know

Hilton

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2015, 07:56:36 am »

Hi

Ive been having some issues trying to get Tuneblade working properly.

At first Tuneblade complained about a lack of a Media Features Pack (I am running Windows Server 2012).

I installed this and there are now no error messages.  Everything is configured as you suggest in JR, Tuneblade, Airfoil etc, but the sound is not working.  I've taken a screengrab where you can see that there is sound in JR and the sounds view of the control panel, but not in the volume options or Tuneblade.  I suspect that this means there's an issue somewhere in windows but not really sure where.

Appreciate any assistance here.

Thanks
Gavin

PS - if you want me to shift this into your thread or a new thread let me know

We can do it here for now and Jim can move it later if needed.

I need more info on how you've configured TubeBlade loopback. JRiver MC audio, and default sound card device in windows to help further.  It looks like you're close though!

gavjs

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2015, 12:35:48 pm »

Hi

Many thanks - I'll respond to this tomorrow as the machine is currently scanning my library to look at volumes/bpms of tracks, so running very slowly right now.

Got a couple of Neet wireless boxes so my lounge and kitchen (temporary with an old stereo) are now connected.  I love the JRemote app and, once this last thing is sorted, feel like I'll have very cost effective and comparable solution to Sonos.

Just for background, it's an ACER Revo R100 running Windows Server 2012 that I RD onto from my Macbook.

I'll try and screengrab the settings of each of the apps but pretty sure I've not deviated from your instructions.

Thanks
Gavin
Pages: [1]   Go Up