INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Quick start guide for installing JRiver Mediacenter ARM for Raspberry Pi 1 and 2  (Read 129751 times)

miklats

• Recent member

I am new to Raspberry and Linux.
As the instructions here are very clear I managed to set up the latest MC 20 version with the MC 21 Master Key.
What I miss is to get the HiFiberry Dac+ working.
In the meantime I use a Fiio X5, which is a compatible DAC.

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient

I use the DAC+ on one of my installations.  It's been several months since I set it up, but I'm pretty sure I just followed the instructions here:

https://www.hifiberry.com/guides/configuring-linux-3-18-x/

My recollection is that the driver blacklisting step wasn't entirely necessary, but try it their way anyway.  The most important part is probably adding the relevant line to the config.txt, and then fixing your ALSA config.

miklats

• Recent member

Thank you!
Its all set up now and performs nicely!

jcalcote

When I first heard about JRiver on Pi2, I was really excited. I backed up my OSMC image and reimaged my Pi2 with the latest Raspian build. I'm pretty fluent in Linux system management, so I felt like I knew what I was doing. The instructions at the top of the thread are concise and clear, and I had no problem understanding them.

I've been searching for a good solution for a single use case - TV recording and remote playback. I only have OTA TV and I like to record a dozen or so shows each week and watch them as I have time. I use my Media Center PC to record. I used to use WMC, but recently upgraded to JRiver and am very happy with the TV features - schedule management, DNLA playback on my Sony Blu-ray player, etc. It all works great - in fact, with the exception of not having a stream position indicator during pause or FF/RW, DLNA content is more complete than WMC.

However, I have to say, I'm a bit disappointed with the JRiver/Pi experience. When I first heard that JRiver ran on Pi, I was excited because I *thought* I could forego DNLA and go right to the JRiver theater view experience - how much better would that be than simple DLNA?!

Well, after I installed JRiver on my overclocked Pi2, I noticed several show stopper issues:

1) The JRiver screen will only expand to cover 1/8 of my TV screen and it's locked into the upper left corner right below the menu button.
2) There's no theater mode, huh? So I'm supposed to watch my shows on 1/8 of my screen?
3) Doesn't matter anyway - video playback is totally busted - at least on my deployment.

Now, I'm wondering what I'm missing? Are people just using this for music playback? If so, why is everyone talking about hooking the Pi up to their TV and using HDMI sound? I'm sure I'm missing something. Any thoughts?

John

Hendrik

• Administrator

Now, I'm wondering what I'm missing? Are people just using this for music playback? If so, why is everyone talking about hooking the Pi up to their TV and using HDMI sound? I'm sure I'm missing something. Any thoughts?

You are not missing anything. Theater View is not supported on any of our Linux versions yet, and on top of that video is not supported on ARM yet.
I'm not sure the Pi2 would be fast enough to play any large variety of videos anyway, not without hooking up some sort of hardware acceleration, which is yet another topic entirely.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

jcalcote

You are not missing anything. Theater View is not supported on any of our Linux versions yet, and on top of that video is not supported on ARM yet.
I'm not sure the Pi2 would be fast enough to play any large variety of videos anyway, not without hooking up some sort of hardware acceleration, which is yet another topic entirely.

Thanks for the quick reply Hendrik - I understand the terrain now. :) I guess my plan to beautify my TV playback won't work with JRiver yet (unless I'm willing to set up a Windows PC to act as a client next to my TV... possibility, but I'm not ready to go there yet).

Regarding Pi2 hardware being fast enough to play video - well, I was running OSMC on it before I reformatted my Pi2 with Raspian. It was pulling mp4 and wmv movies from a NAS on my network and playing them just fine through the Pi2's HDMI output. I also had it front-ending next-pvr running on my media server. If Kodi can do it, surely JRiver can, right? Heck, my Pi2 wasn't even overclocked when I had OSMC doing it. No flutter, no stutter - picture was beautiful. Just FYI -

http://mymediaexperience.com/raspberry-pi-xbmc-with-raspbmc/

I supply the link not to advertise other server software, but rather to illuminate the fact that the Pi2 does have the horsepower to play both MPEG-2 and H.264 video without overclocking, though overclocking a little can help.

Thanks again - I'll continue to wait anxiously for JRiver to add features to the linux version and happily upgrade my license when it does.
John

phleeb

• Recent member

Hello -
I followed the instructions at the beginning of this thread.  I have a couple of problems that I hope someone can help me with.  After using the "sudo apt-get install" command it looks like everything installed except for "libg11-mesa-glx" which I'm told is not found.  I went ahead with everything else and rebooted.  Upon reboot, I have no wifi connection.  I notice that now I have a new Wifi program which is good.  However I have no wifi connection - it tells me "dhcpcdui not running".  There is a tab to access "Wifi Network (dhcpcdui) Settings" but nothing shows up when I select it.  I am sure the reason I have no Wifi connection is because I need to set it up.

Any ideas what I did wrong?

Thanks!

mwillems

• MC Beta Team

Hello -
I followed the instructions at the beginning of this thread.  I have a couple of problems that I hope someone can help me with.  After using the "sudo apt-get install" command it looks like everything installed except for "libg11-mesa-glx" which I'm told is not found.  

Could you post the exact error message you received?  Did you make sure to run "sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade" first?  What happens if you try to install and run mediacenter anyway?

I went ahead with everything else and rebooted.  Upon reboot, I have no wifi connection.  I notice that now I have a new Wifi program which is good.  

Nothing in the instructions should have affected your wi-fi connection, unless you were running a much older version of NOOBS and had never upgraded it.

Did you have wi-fi working before?  What does a "new wifi program" mean?  Did you start from a fresh NOOBS Raspbian install or an existing one?

phleeb

• Recent member

Could you post the exact error message you received?  Did you make sure to run "sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade" first?  What happens if you try to install and run mediacenter anyway?
There is now an icon in the upper right hand corner that displays 2 monitors - typical icon for network connection.  When I hover the cursor over it, it displays "dhcpcd not running".
I can right click on it to get a window of choices.  One is "Wifi Network (dhcpcdui) Settings".  I assume this is where I can put in my wifi password.  But when I click on it, nothing happens.  I did run everything according to your instructions and rebooted after the nano sequence.
Nothing in the instructions should have affected your wi-fi connection, unless you were running a much older version of NOOBS and had never upgraded it.
I should have the latest version as I just purchased the raspberry pi with Noobs and Raspian 2 days ago from Canakit via Amazon.
Did you have wi-fi working before?  What does a "new wifi program" mean?  Did you start from a fresh NOOBS Raspbian install or an existing one?
Yes I did have wifi working before.  I used an existing install that I did earlier in the day.

Why did it not accept the install of libg11-mesa-glx?  I am sure I typed it in correctly.

Thanks for your help!

mwillems

• MC Beta Team

There is now an icon in the upper right hand corner that displays 2 monitors - typical icon for network connection.  When I hover the cursor over it, it displays "dhcpcd not running".
I can right click on it to get a window of choices.  One is "Wifi Network (dhcpcdui) Settings".  I assume this is where I can put in my wifi password.  But when I click on it, nothing happens.  I did run everything according to your instructions and rebooted after the nano sequence.I should have the latest version as I just purchased the raspberry pi with Noobs and Raspian 2 days ago from Canakit via Amazon.Yes I did have wifi working before.  I used an existing install that I did earlier in the day.

The way Pi's manage Wi-Fi was changed in May; it's possible the card you got was old stock.  Several folks had issues when transitioning from the old system to the new system.  The wi-fi issue is an OS issue caused by updating the OS, and not an MC issue.

I've never had the issue you're describing, but if try googling you'll see lots of folks with your exact error after doing an upgrade.  If you're not comfortable troubleshooting, you could try reinstalling with a fresh NOOBS image downloaded from their website.  That should be up to date already with the wifi properly configured.

Why did it not accept the install of libg11-mesa-glx?  I am sure I typed it in correctly.

I can't tell you the answer as it installs fine here.  It might help if you posted the exact error message you got when trying to install it (as suggested above).

Also, did you try installing and running mediacenter without it as I suggested?  It may not be necessary anymore. MC continuously evolves and requires fewer dependencies than it did when this guide was written. This is not the most current version of this guide, the new version is here: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=99370.0

phleeb

• Recent member

I did go ahead and installed mediacenter using the wired ethernet connection.  All seemed to progress nicely, except when I clicked on MC20 all I got was a white window.

I will go ahead and update my Noobs and start from scratch.  Thanks for the link to the most current configuration.  I will try that.

mwillems

• MC Beta Team

I did go ahead and installed mediacenter using the wired ethernet connection.  All seemed to progress nicely, except when I clicked on MC20 all I got was a white window.

If you get the white window it probably means that you skipped (or didn't successfully complete) the step where you add the following lines to your config.txt
Code: [Select]
framebuffer_depth=32
framebuffer_ignore_alpha=1

Without those lines in your config.txt, you'll just get a white screen when MC launches.

PrinterPrinter

• World Citizen

1) The JRiver screen will only expand to cover 1/8 of my TV screen and it's locked into the upper left corner right below the menu button.

Is there a solution to this problem? I'm not trying to playback video but it'll be easier to interact with JRiver on the RPI if you could expand it to full screen.

Thank you!

mwillems

• MC Beta Team

Is there a solution to this problem? I'm not trying to playback video but it'll be easier to interact with JRiver on the RPI if you could expand it to full screen.

Thank you!

Did you try right-clicking on the MC taskbar entry and selecting "maximize"?  That works here.  You can also hold down ALT and drag at the corner of the window to resize it. 

It's only the maximize and minimize buttons on the MC window itself that don't work.

bob

• Administrator

Did you try right-clicking on the MC taskbar entry and selecting "maximize"?  That works here.  You can also hold down ALT and drag at the corner of the window to resize it. 

It's only the maximize and minimize buttons on the MC window itself that don't work.
That's interesting. When did they last work? I'm pretty certain that they did at one time.

mwillems

• MC Beta Team

That's interesting. When did they last work? I'm pretty certain that they did at one time.

They've never actually worked for me on ARM.  When I first wrote this quick start guide, I made a list of things that were working and things that weren't in the top post.  I've edited the list since to keep up with development, but the maximize and minimize buttons have been on the "not working" list since my first draft in February.

PrinterPrinter

• World Citizen

Thanks,
I tried both methods now and it doesn't work for me... right clicking the task bar entry and choosing minimise works - but not Maximise or dragging with the mouse...

Perhaps it s local setting on my system? I'm using VNC to access the Pi - mine is headless and keyboardless...

Thanks!

mwillems

• MC Beta Team

Thanks,
I tried both methods now and it doesn't work for me... right clicking the task bar entry and choosing minimise works - but not Maximise or dragging with the mouse...

Perhaps it s local setting on my system? I'm using VNC to access the Pi - mine is headless and keyboardless...

Thanks!

Those both work fine for me with a headless Pi accessed through VNC, so I'm not sure what the difference could be.  Assuming you followed my guide, our configurations should be identical.

What VNC client are you using (I'm not sure that should make a difference, but that's the only thing I can think)?

PrinterPrinter

• World Citizen

Those both work fine for me with a headless Pi accessed through VNC, so I'm not sure what the difference could be.  Assuming you followed my guide, our configurations should be identical.

What VNC client are you using (I'm not sure that should make a difference, but that's the only thing I can think)?

Thanks, I'm using VNC viewer on mac and iPhone...

mwillems

• MC Beta Team

Thanks, I'm using VNC viewer on mac and iPhone...

I don't have any idevices so I can't test/replicate.  I just tested using bvnc on android and it worked fine.  It also works at home with tigerVNC and tightVNC.  I can't imagine the VNC viewer is really the issue though if minimize works for you.

I suspect you've done something different in your configuration than I have, but it would be hard to know what.  What MC build are you on?

PrinterPrinter

• World Citizen

Thanks,
I'm on the latest MC20 RPI version.

I seem to recall that in the set up process there is a file we dill with some tex that looks like resolution? Perhaps something went wrong there?

It's not a huge problem.

skifastbadly

• Junior Woodchuck

If you get the white window it probably means that you skipped (or didn't successfully complete) the step where you add the following lines to your config.txt
framebuffer_depth=32

Without those lines in your config.txt, you'll just get a white screen when MC launches.

Hi,

I'm having difficulty getting anything but the white window, and I've checked the config.txt file, which contains the two lines above.  I am using the latest build on a Pi 2 Model B, with the pre-loaded Noob OS.  The "status bar" on the desktop indicates MC is running,

Is there anything else I can check?  I feel like I'm really close.

mwillems

• MC Beta Team

Can you please post your entire config.txt in code tags?

skifastbadly

• Junior Woodchuck

Can you please post your entire config.txt in code tags?

Here it is:

# For more options and information see

# http://www.raspberrypi.org/documentation/configuration/config-txt.md

# Some settings may impact device functionality. See link above for details

# uncomment if you get no picture on HDMI for a default "safe" mode

#hdmi_safe=1

# uncomment this if your display has a black border of unused pixels visible

# and your display can output without overscan

#disable_overscan=1

# uncomment the following to adjust overscan. Use positive numbers if console

# goes off screen, and negative if there is too much border

#overscan_left=16

#overscan_right=16

#overscan_top=16

#overscan_bottom=16

# uncomment to force a console size. By default it will be display's size minus

# overscan.

#framebuffer_width=1280

#framebuffer_height=720

# uncomment if hdmi display is not detected and composite is being output

#hdmi_force_hotplug=1

# uncomment to force a specific HDMI mode (this will force VGA)

#hdmi_group=1

#hdmi_mode=1

# uncomment to force a HDMI mode rather than DVI. This can make audio work in

# DMT (computer monitor) modes

#hdmi_drive=2

# uncomment to increase signal to HDMI, if you have interference, blanking, or

# no display

#config_hdmi_boost=4

# uncomment for composite PAL

#sdtv_mode=2

#uncomment to overclock the arm. 700 MHz is the default.

#arm_freq=800

# NOOBS Auto-generated Settings:

hdmi_force_hotplug=1

config_hdmi_boost=4

overscan_left=24

overscan_right=24

overscan_top=16

overscan_bottom=16

disable_overscan=0

framebuffer_depth=32

mwillems

• MC Beta Team

That's odd, that should work.  How do you have your Pi hooked up to a display?  What kind of display is it?

skifastbadly

• Junior Woodchuck

That's odd, that should work.  How do you have your Pi hooked up to a display?  What kind of display is it?

It's hooked up via HDMI to a Samsung TV which I've been using as a monitor.  I'm currently using a windows box on this TV for MC and other streaming stuff.  All other graphics appear to work fine on the pi, including the viewing of this forum and some youtube videos I tried out.

Long ago in a faraway land, I worked with UNIX.  I'm starting all over again.

Anyway, is there anything else that may be causing this?  I do appreciate your time.

mwillems

• MC Beta Team

The only thing I've ever seen cause that all white window on a pi is a lack of 32-bit colordepth, which those two settings should cure.  I'm not sure if trying with a different display might help (it shouldn't matter)

The only difference between our config.txt files is that I have overscan disabled, and I specify the size of my framebuffer, but neither of those should meaningfully affect how the MC window is rendered. 

If you run mediacenter from the terminal does it throw any errors?  I can tell you that if you VNC into the Pi (i.e. operate it headlessly) the window will almost certainly render properly, but that's not much help if you wanted to control it directly.

I'm sorry I'm not more help, but I can't reproduce this here (without removing those lines from my config.txt) so I'm not sure how to proceed.  I assume you rebooted after changing your config.txt, right?

Bob is the member of the JRiver staff with the most expertise in this area, but he's on vacation for the time being.

If you're impatient, you might try reinstalling using a freshly downloaded NOOBS image.  If you do so, make sure to follow the updated guide on the MC 21 forum.  I can confirm that I went back and followed the exact steps listed a few weeks ago and everything worked as expected.

skifastbadly

• Junior Woodchuck

Thanks for looking.  There are probably too many variables at play at the moment....new Pi, HDMI, versions, etc.  I've rebooted several times.  I'll futz around with it and re-post if/when I figure this out.

Pierre67

• Recent member

Thanks guys works awesome ;D

Pierre
Lover of Music

skifastbadly

• Junior Woodchuck

Still no luck, so I'm back...

In all other respects, the Pi is acting as it should.  All graphics work fine, I can access videos from YouTube etc.  Browser acts like a browser should.  I've tried all the usual stuff, including running through all the installation and configuration commands on this thread.  I've copied and pasted them, to ensure I've made no typos.  I've tried both MC20 and MC21.  And yet I continue to get the same results.  When I fire up MC, a window pops up that says "Media Center 2X".  The window size is something like a quarter of the screen size.  After a few seconds of the "busy" spinning wheel, it just sits there with a white screen.  I've resized the screen and nothing happens.  I move the cursor (the curser, that's me) around and it doesn't act as if there's a link anywhere.  I'm completely mystified.

Is there anything obvious I'm missing? 

Thanks

mwillems

• MC Beta Team

The only thing I can think of is that Raspbian just ported over to Jessie a few weeks ago and maybe you're running Jessie instead of Wheezy?  I haven't moved my Pi's over yet so there may be as yet undiagnosed complciations with the new debian stable? Do you know if you're on Jessie or Wheezy?  If not type
cat /etc/apt/sources.list and post the results.

skifastbadly

• Junior Woodchuck

The only thing I can think of is that Raspbian just ported over to Jessie a few weeks ago and maybe you're running Jessie instead of Wheezy?  I haven't moved my Pi's over yet so there may be as yet undiagnosed complciations with the new debian stable? Do you know if you're on Jessie or Wheezy?  If not type
cat /etc/apt/sources.list and post the results.

here's what I get:

pi@raspberrypi ~ $ cat /etc/apt/sources.list
deb http://mirrordirector.raspbian.org/raspbian/ wheezy main contrib non-free rpi
# Uncomment line below then 'apt-get update' to enable 'apt-get source'
#deb-src http://mirror.ox.ac.uk/sites/archive.raspbian.org/archive/raspbian/ wheezy main contrib non-free rpi

pi@raspberrypi ~ $

By the way, I recently changed monitors, and no difference.  I still get the white box with the Media Center label but no contents.  Weird

mwillems

• MC Beta Team

Ok you're on wheezy, so everything should be working.  I'm honestly stumped.  Could you post over in the build thread for ARM so Bob can see?  He's the JRiver "Linux Guy," and he may have some thoughts.  Point him to the back and forth here so he can see what we've already ruled out.

skifastbadly

• Junior Woodchuck

Progress!

I figured something somewhere in the install might have gotten hosed, so I started from scratch.  I bought a new SD card, downloaded NOOBs, configured everything all over again, and it worked.  The graphics look like crap, but I have a window in which I can see MC.  So thanks....Now I have to figure out the resolution or font, get the network server working etc., but it's running.

mwillems

• MC Beta Team

Progress!

I figured something somewhere in the install might have gotten hosed, so I started from scratch.  I bought a new SD card, downloaded NOOBs, configured everything all over again, and it worked.  The graphics look like crap, but I have a window in which I can see MC.  So thanks....Now I have to figure out the resolution or font, get the network server working etc., but it's running.

Aces!  Glad to hear it.

skifastbadly

• Junior Woodchuck

One final question.  For some reason when MC opens in the window, I can't resize the window.  I can't drag it, maximize it, or in any way change the size.  No other application behaves this way.  What am I missing?

Thanks a ton for your help so far.   Almost there....

mwillems

• MC Beta Team

One final question.  For some reason when MC opens in the window, I can't resize the window.  I can't drag it, maximize it, or in any way change the size.  No other application behaves this way.  What am I missing?

Thanks a ton for your help so far.   Almost there....

Do you have the latest buidl for ARM?  Bob recently fixed the maximize buttons which didn't previously work.  Resizing by dragging has always been a little flaky on Linux, but right-clicking on the menu bar entry, has always allowed me to maximize it.

skifastbadly

• Junior Woodchuck

Latest 20 or latest 21?  Thanks.

mwillems

• MC Beta Team

Latest 21.  The maximize and minimize buttons never worked in MC 20, but as I said, right clicking on the menu bar entry should allow you to maximize or minimize.

skifastbadly

• Junior Woodchuck

Working like a million bucks.  Thanks.

Auerhahn

I can’t install because when I enter »sudo get-apt update« (after the reboot) I get after some time this:

W: Duplicate sources.list entry http://dist.jriver.com/latest/mediacenter/ wheezy/main armhf Packages (/var/lib/apt/lists/dist.jriver.com_latest_mediacenter_dists_wheezy_main_binary-armhf_Packages)
W: Probieren Sie »apt-get update«, um diese Probleme zu korrigieren.

What does it mean? (I’m quote new to raspberry and don’t understand such messages...)

mwillems

• MC Beta Team

I can’t install because when I enter »sudo get-apt update« (after the reboot) I get after some time this:

W: Duplicate sources.list entry http://dist.jriver.com/latest/mediacenter/ wheezy/main armhf Packages (/var/lib/apt/lists/dist.jriver.com_latest_mediacenter_dists_wheezy_main_binary-armhf_Packages)
W: Probieren Sie »apt-get update«, um diese Probleme zu korrigieren.

What does it mean? (I’m quote new to raspberry and don’t understand such messages...)

I can't read German (I'm assuming that's German?), so I'm not sure what the second line means, but my guess would be that you might have run a command twice (or run one imprefectly) which added the repo to the sources list twice causing the error.  Can you post the contents of the following file: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/mediacenter20.list

Awesome Donkey

• Administrator
  • The color of Spring...

A quick translate through Google...

W: Duplicate sources.list entry http://dist.jriver.com/latest/mediacenter/ wheezy / main armhf Packages (/var/lib/apt/lists/dist.jriver.com_latest_mediacenter_dists_wheezy_main_binary-armhf_Packages)
W: Try 'apt-get update "to correct these problems.

But yeah, you're on the right track about the duplicate source.
I don't work for JRiver... I help keep the forums safe from Viagra and other sources of sketchy pharmaceuticals.

Windows 11 2023 Update (23H2) 64-bit + Ubuntu 24.04 LTS Noble Numbat 64-bit | Windows 11 2023 Update (23H2) 64-bit (Intel N305 Fanless NUC 16GB RAM/256GB NVMe SSD)
JRiver Media Center 32 (Windows + Linux) | Topping D50s DAC | Edifier R2000DB Bookshelf Speakers

Auerhahn

I try to follow these instruction, but without success. This command fails: sudo bash isx11.sh. I get the error message "401 Not Authorized. / Authentifizierung mit Benutzername/Passwort fehlgeschlagen." (Authentification with user name and password failed.) And that’s the end. Is there an alternative way to install this?

mwillems

• MC Beta Team

I try to follow these instruction, but without success. This command fails: sudo bash isx11.sh. I get the error message "401 Not Authorized. / Authentifizierung mit Benutzername/Passwort fehlgeschlagen." (Authentification with user name and password failed.) And that’s the end. Is there an alternative way to install this?

I'm a little perplexed as that command isn't in the instructions at all.  Why are you running the command "sudo bash isx11.sh"?  Is that from Hilton's alternate headless access instructions?  Work on getting the regular install done before meddling with that.  This is also the old thread for MC20; there are more up to date instructions in the MC21 version of this thread. 

https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=99370.0

If it's an rdp issue, you'll need to wait for Hilton to chime in as I don't use rdp.  If you're having trouble, VNC is much easier to setup (use the directions in the linked thread).

b00ter

• Recent member

Hello all.

My laptop died and I'm looking at a replacement for my JRiver server. I have a spare pi2 I could try and when I saw this thread I was immediately interested.

Just wondering for those that have done the pi2 build how it compares speed wise to running on a dedicated laptop/desktop build?

mwillems

• MC Beta Team

Hello all.

My laptop died and I'm looking at a replacement for my JRiver server. I have a spare pi2 I could try and when I saw this thread I was immediately interested.

Just wondering for those that have done the pi2 build how it compares speed wise to running on a dedicated laptop/desktop build?

It's much slower, but depending on your application it may be fine.  A good rule of thumb is that if you're planning on interacting with the GUI directly instead of with a remote it will be a bit frustrating.  For a server I would expect very poor performance as the CPU would choke on transcoding, and the Pi has no fast I/O options.  I don't think the arm builds support video yet either.  It might work for an audio only server with a modest-sized library, but the pi works best as a headless endpoint to turn speakers into "smart" speakers.

b00ter

• Recent member

It's much slower, but depending on your application it may be fine.  A good rule of thumb is that if you're planning on interacting with the GUI directly instead of with a remote it will be a bit frustrating.  For a server I would expect very poor performance as the CPU would choke on transcoding, and the Pi has no fast I/O options.  I don't think the arm builds support video yet either.  It might work for an audio only server with a modest-sized library, but the pi works best as a headless endpoint to turn speakers into "smart" speakers.

Thanks for the honest feedback. I have about 2tb of music on this server. I would only be using it as a server/playback client (one machine) and I use tablets for GUI.

mwillems

• MC Beta Team

Give it a try and see; if you plan on mostly using remotes and don't have any/many clients it may be satisfactory.   I haven't really tried using mine as servers except for testing the functionality in a basic way so I'd be curious how well that works.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up