INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Soft Clipping at Start of A Song  (Read 1523 times)

epvaldo

• Recent member
Soft Clipping at Start of A Song
« on: February 11, 2015, 08:19:16 am »

I'm not sure if this is much to be concerned about; but, when I start a song in MC20, approx 1/2 second into it (but before the music starts) I hear a little soft clip.  The sound is a little less than the click of a mouse.  It doesn't happen in between songs, only when I start a song from the beginning.  Maybe there is a setting I can adjust.

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
Re: Soft Clipping at Start of A Song
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2015, 08:24:58 am »

The first setting to try is the "play silence for hardware synchronization" setting under audio options.  Many DACs don't do a good job of masking the noise of "latching on," and the "play silence" setting can help.

epvaldo

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2015, 06:23:41 pm »

Changing the settings "play silence for hardware synchronization" didn't get rid of the soft clipping on the Loki dac.  I tried 1/4 second through 3 seconds.  My Musical Fidelity dac didn't have the soft clipping.  It appears to be a dac issue.  Is there another setting to try to adjust?

Arindelle

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2015, 03:52:56 pm »

Hi

The Loki Dac is the DSD only dac from Schitt right?

If so did you follow what they suggest on their site FAQ under the Loki? Are you converting on the fly your PCM stuff to DSD or are you passing the PCM media through your Musical Fidelity via USB? Do you have their current USB driver down loaded?

epvaldo

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2015, 04:32:05 pm »

Hi

The Loki Dac is the DSD only dac from Schitt right?

If so did you follow what they suggest on their site FAQ under the Loki? Are you converting on the fly your PCM stuff to DSD or are you passing the PCM media through your Musical Fidelity via USB? Do you have their current USB driver down loaded?

It is the Schiit Loki DAC.  I did follow Schiit's directions for the Loki the best I could.  Their website was somewhat outdated from MC20.  I do convert PCM on the fly as well as use my Musical Fidelity from time to time.  Both DACs are connected via USB and all drivers are up to date.

Arindelle

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2015, 09:56:58 am »

It is the Schiit Loki DAC.  I did follow Schiit's directions for the Loki the best I could.  Their website was somewhat outdated from MC20.  I do convert PCM on the fly as well as use my Musical Fidelity from time to time.  Both DACs are connected via USB and all drivers are up to date.

don't know what you mean about their website is outdated, but does this happen with DSD, PCM or both. I'd guess it is only when playing PCM music?

They say you can do this on the fly from JRiver, but it is still a DSD Dac only -- a module made to operate as an addon to their Bifrost and Gugnir Dacs IMO. (or any other DAC). But the way you describe it it does sound like it is PC or USB related.

I would try to two things:

- first make sure that in your windows sound config that NO system sounds is checked in the sound profile - the click could be the system over the USB. Schitt mentions this so you probably have already done this.

- try to run your PCM stuff through the Musical Fidelity DAC and then connect to the Loki; push the button on the front. Any clicks?

If you are using optical or coax, they say that using USB should remove this. If there are still clicks and you are using USB, its probably a USB issue on the PC side, and I would try to get a powered USB hub.

Or you could set up two zones to switch automatically of course, shunting the DSD to the Loki and PCM through the M.A.
Pages: [1]   Go Up