INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: theater view behavior when playing  (Read 1625 times)

hardauto

• Junior Woodchuck
theater view behavior when playing
« on: February 18, 2015, 07:41:45 pm »

I have everything i can find in the options which reference display view set to display view including startup however upon launching a movie jrm starts up in standard view.  any ideas?

thanks.

hardauto

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: theater view behavior when playing
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2015, 08:12:48 pm »

When i start a movie in theater view it initially gives me the menus at the top and i have to hit play again in order for the menus to go away and the movie maximizes.  How can i avoid the menus all together when first launching a movie and simply plays full screen in theater view?

thank you.

stewart_pk

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2015, 11:10:10 pm »

Tools --> Options --> Theater View.
Then set both Jump on play (audio) and Jump on play (video) to Display View.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2015, 11:20:05 pm »

I merged your two posts into a single thread, because they're related.

I think you're confused.  I'll try to help explain a few things.  If this doesn't help you figure it out, then please explain what you're trying to accomplish fully.

Display View:

This term refers to MC's fullscreen playback mode.  This is one of Media Center's View Modes, along with Theater View, Standard View, and the others.  It looks like this:

Click to embiggen.

The screenshot above shows both the mouse control bar that appears when there is mouse movement, and the OSD menu system which appears when you hit the Up or Down arrow keys.  (It was actually a bit challenging to get a screenshot showing both, as they're typically not used together).

Display View can also be "restored" out of fullscreen mode (though this is probably not typical) and put into Windowed mode, which makes it look like this:

You can enter this Windowed mode of Display View by clicking on the restore button in the mouse control bar at the top of the fullscreen playback.  Once in it, you can restore fullscreen playback by clicking on the regular Maximize button.

Playing Now:

Media Center also has a display called Playing Now.  There are two versions of Playing Now, one for Standard View, and one for Theater View.  The Standard View's Playing Now is accessible (one for each zone, if you have multiple zones) in the Tree under Playing Now (always at the top of the Tree).

When playback is started from within Playing Now, it always stays in Playing Now.  You can quickly switch from Playing Now to Display View by double-clicking on the display area, or by choosing View > Display View.

Theater View has its own version of the Playing Now screen, which is accessible via the Top Roller bar of any page, and from the Home menu under Gadgets.

Again, you can access Display View from here by choosing Display View from the top roller bar menu.

Startup Modes:

You can choose what "mode" of MC's user interface starts when you first launch the application.  So, if you want MC to automatically open in Theater View when you first open it up, you can choose this as MC's default "launch mode".  This is set via the option here:
Tools > Options > Startup > Startup Interface > Mode

You can choose between all of the different available View Modes of MC, including Display View.  However, I can't imagine a common reason to want to launch MC directly into Display View, unless you do all playback control via JRemote or something like that (and even then, it is a bit odd).  If you set it that way, when you launch MC, since nothing is currently playing, you'd typically just be greeted by this:

So, that would be a weird choice, but if you want it, you can do it.

Behavior When Starting Playback:

You can also customize what MC does when you start playback in a variety of ways.  These controls are separate from (and have nothing to do with) the overall "what to do when you first start MC" controls discussed above.  This is set by these options:

When playback is started from Standard View:
Tools > Options > General > Behavior > Jump on play (audio)
Tools > Options > General > Behavior > Jump on play (video)

When playback is started from an external application (such as by double clicking on a file in Windows Explorer), MC normally behaves differently and always puts the playback in the "windowed" version of Display View, described above.  This can be disabled and then external playback will follow the normal Standard View choices above:
Tools > Options > General > Behavior > Jump to windowed display mode when playback is started externally

Theater View has its own version of these settings here:
Tools > Options > Theater View > Behavior > Jump on play (audio)
Tools > Options > Theater View > Behavior > Jump on play (video)

These apply to when playback is started from within Theater View, and changes here have no impact on the other Standard View settings under General discussed above.

For all of these, you can choose to jump to Playing Now (both the Standard and Theater versions), to Display View, or to no go anywhere at all (and retain the current state).
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/
Pages: [1]   Go Up