INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New Computer. Transfer of files  (Read 1897 times)

spw24

New Computer. Transfer of files
« on: February 20, 2015, 08:00:26 am »

If I buy a new Windows Computer, How do I transfer all my MC20 Media (esp Audio & Pictures) from Old to New Computer, without having to do new re-ripping of CDs etc?
I do have access to external hard drives and Old computer and MC20 on it is  still functioning.

ferday

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: New Computer. Transfer of files
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2015, 03:04:24 pm »

Are the files on external drives?

tcman41

• Sound Surfing!
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2015, 04:23:52 pm »

I backup up my media (or file transfer in your case) from my main computer to my backup computer via a 1gb switch connected through my router.

computer #1 > 1gb switch < computer #2
                           /\
                        lan router

*make sure all drives are set up for sharing and lan router and switch are rated for 1gb transfer.

with above method I can backup my 300gb of music in about an hour.

TC

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2015, 05:35:07 pm »

"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

Al ex

Re:
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2015, 01:43:55 am »

Assuming all your tag data and images (in case of music) are stored in the files, just copy and paste the files to your new computer, then simply hit the import button in MC and that's it - your new library is ready to use...

spw24

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2015, 08:44:49 am »

Are the files on external drives?
YES Files are on BOTH Windows HDD (C:\Users\******\Music) and on a copy on External HDD

ferday

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2015, 09:56:38 pm »

YES Files are on BOTH Windows HDD (C:\Users\******\Music) and on a copy on External HDD

then you can either (as mentioned above):

plug the external drive into the new computer, copy to wherever (or leave them on the external) and use the rename,move,copy tool in JRiver to change the drive letter.  the library will simply just have a new drive letter but otherwise not change

or, delete the library (not the files LOL) and re-import the files from the new computer into a new library in MC

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2015, 10:54:51 pm »

No need to re-import, certainly!!

To make sure you are aware, it is easy to move all of your settings and your Library (Media Center's database) to the new computer:
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Library_Backup

The easiest thing would be to:

1. Make a Library Backup on the old computer.
2. Copy all of the files from the old computer to the new computer and put them in the exact same "place" (same drive letter and path) as they exist now on the old computer.
3. Install MC on the new computer and get it licensed.
4. Copy the backup zip file you made in step 1 over to the new computer and restore it to your new copy of MC.

This will make the new copy of MC match exactly, including all settings and everything, the old copy.  As long as the files are there in the same place they were originally, you're done.

If you cannot copy them all over using the exact same path (maybe they used to be on C but now won't all fit on C), do exactly the same thing, but copy them to whatever new drive you need to copy them to, and then do the exact same steps with a fifth additional step of:

5. Select all of the files in the new copy of Media Center (they'll all be "broken" because they'll point to the wrong path) and do:
Right-Click > Library Tools > Rename, Move, and Copy Files

Then use Find & Replace mode in the tool to fix the paths to point to the files where they actually live (if you're just switching drives, but the directory structure and filenames are unchanged, this should be easy).
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/
Pages: [1]   Go Up