Devices > Apple iPad, iPhone, iPod, Airplay

AirPlay Whole of house in Sync with JRiver Media Center 20!

<< < (2/18) > >>

Hilton:

--- Quote from: jmone on February 21, 2015, 05:03:21 am ---The only thing I'd like to find is a "better" alternative to Airplayer for Android as while it "just works" it is missing a couple of bits:
- adjustable buffer (slightly out of sync)
- auto load on startup

Well done.
Nathan

--- End quote ---

Thanks Nathan. It was worth it.  My wife lets me pipe music through the whole house now. :)

I used the AirBubble AirPlay receiver on Android and managed to get sync locked.

RussellS:
WOW, this looks great. Over the years I've tried loads of things trying to get synchronised playback through the whole house and while I have had limited success it has always been a bit hit 'n' miss.

Does this stay in sync over an extended period of time of say 7 or 8 hours.

Hilton:
YES. It uses the proper AirPlay Sync protocol that checks sync every second.
Even changing tracks forward or back stopping and starting. All devices stay in sync as long as they are certified speakers, certified receivers, Apple Devices gen2 or later and PCs/Macs running AirFoil.

6233638:
If you are going to be using a virtual device (I recommend VB-Audio's Hi-Fi Cable) TuneBlade's line-in capture has been more reliable for me than having it intercept the audio being sent to a specific endpoint.
The end result should be the same, I have just found it to be less prone to interruption when there is high CPU usage on the PC. (I was unable to interrupt it, in fact)
This also gives you the option to have TuneBlade specify what the default playback device on your PC is, so you can ensure that it is not the Hi-Fi Cable device. (which would create a feedback loop)

For what it's worth, when you disable exclusive access, it does mean that you are no longer playing bit-perfect 16/44 which may or may not be an issue for you.
But that of course enables you to share the device between multiple applications, and if you are using the standby feature it prevents there being absolute silence which keeps the connection open as long as anything is playing - even if what's being played is "silence" between tracks.

The only thing I will say is that bspachman and I have both run into issues where the Airfoil Speakers app connects and says that it's receiving audio, but does not actually play anything.
That's not really been an issue for me, since most of my playback is to hardware receivers and those have all worked perfectly for me, but it is worth mentioning.

But yes, TuneBlade has been absolutely flawless for me when transmitting to actual AirPlay receiver hardware, and the standby feature finally means that I can just leave it running all the time without blocking anyone else from sending audio to the receivers, as Airfoil does.

bspachman:
Great write-up! Thanks to Hilton, 6233638 & jmone for all the great pictures, words and research!

I don't think I have anything to add. I'll be experimenting with the exclusivity settings a bit today to see if I can come up with a combination that works better for me. Right now, I have everything set to allow exclusive access, but that causes problems with Airfoil Speakers on the server (for local playback).

One interesting data point that I discovered last night is that the iOS version of Airfoil speakers works fine with TuneBlade when it's running on my iPhone--but doesn't connect (either automatically or manually) to the same app running on my iPad. I'd be interested to know if anyone else is able to succeed or fail getting TuneBlade to stream to an iPad....

brad

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version