INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: No sound but music playing, Help please..  (Read 2880 times)

Mark383

No sound but music playing, Help please..
« on: February 21, 2015, 08:49:40 am »

Hi All, I have a Cambridge Stream magic 6 network music player connected via cat 6 cables to my new PC running windows 7. When my wife installed our new desktop PC I paid the money and upgraded from MC 18 to 19 and all was working except the volume wasn't as loud as before. I started to play around with settings and I have no idea what I've done but I can not for the life of me or my wife get any audio to come out of my speakers what so ever! The frustrating thing is on the display of the Cambridge it shows the song is playing in its correct resolution but there is no audio.. All inputs are correct on my pre amp { ONKYO 5509)

I would estimate that over the past month my wife and I have spent over 40 + hours trying to rectify this and It's doing my head in... I usually call my wife for issues like this as I am in the building industry so now that she's waved the white flag I'm on my own... Mc 18 ran for over 12 months on our old PC absolutely fine and when we set it up on the new one I only thought I'd have to play around with the output format ie Realtek Direct sound or WASAPI etc to work out what sounded best through my Martin Logan Spire's..

I have read and read the WIKI and stayed up to all hours of the morning but I can't work out what I 'm missing in the settings. The stream magic shows in the player tree and is associated with my 24 bit library. The sound levels are on max on the PC and at the present I have WASAPI selected. Specified output format is checked as is 24 bit PCM. Only Output format is checked in DSP, exclusive access is checked, maximize device volume during playback is checked, stereo down mix is checked and sample is same as source.

One thing that seems strange is when if I have my stream magic selected in the playing tree and  put my mouse over the DSP icon up the top right which will then show the audio path box it says INPUT: NOT USING J RIVER AUDIO ENGINE and the same for output.. The only sound I can hear through MC 19 is on my PC speakers and that is with PLAYER selected in the playing now tree.. One other thing is tonight I used my menu in my ONKYO 5509 pre-pro controller which is also cat 6 connected to my network and streamed from J River and all worked fine but still no sound from my Cambridge..

I really want to thank anyone who takes the time to help me out, it will be GREATLY appreciated!! :) :) ;D

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: No sound but music playing, Help please..
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2015, 08:54:13 am »

Try to see if you can get sound output in Windows Control Panel > Sounds.  Set your default audio device there, as well.

Mark383

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2015, 06:34:02 am »

Hi Jim,

Thanks so much for taking the time to read my post and respond... Upfront I must firstly apologize for my lack of PC skills. I'm not totally sure if I've done correctly what you've asked so here goes..

When I opened the sounds in the control panel the default audio device selected is the one with the picture of the speaker Realtek high definition audio with a green tick. I did a test while still selected and a test tone played from my PC speakers.. Below the speaker the other option is a picture of a amplifier/piece of audio equipment again stating Realtek High definition Audio except with this one when I click on properties then click on supported formats it has accurately listed there the correct resolution my digital receiver ( my Cambridge ) can play 44,48 and 96 Khz. I have now selected this as my default device and my PC speakers are still playing fine, unfortunately It's too late to go and turn all my gear on but I'm off work tomorrow so I'll be checking in the morning.. Do you think that this was the culprit Jim? I tried to do a test on my new setting and and equalizer bar signal shows something playing but I don't hear anything and when I tried to retest the speaker device a screen popped up saying this device is being used by another application which I assume would be MC playing to my PC speakers..

Again Jim a big thanks from me mate, hopefully I'll have some good news in the morning..

Regards, Mark.

Mark383

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2015, 04:14:54 am »

Hi Jim,
Just tried the new settings and unfortunately still not working. My Cambridge is in the playing tree and when I click on it so it has the green arrow illuminated and then go to the DSP icon it still says not using J River Audio engine??? I just read somewhere that this is normal, is that correct?  I started this post at lunch time today and it's now 9 pm here in Australia and still I can't get this to play mate.. Even though I haven't touched any cables I checked them, checked firmware on the Cambridge all is sweet...

Would you have a list of settings I could check that encompasses everything from the windows side to the MC side? Would it be a library issue? I may have mucked around with it when I stuffed this up and the library side of things I'm not to sure about... Also, what should be the default audio device in the sound panel?

Thanks again..
Pages: [1]   Go Up