INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Library size mismatch  (Read 1870 times)

OfM

• Recent member
Library size mismatch
« on: February 23, 2015, 08:29:47 am »

HI there,

I'm new to the forum and I have a small issue I hope you can help me with.

the music library size shown by JRiver doesn't match the music folder size shown by windows.

windows shows 280 GB vs JRiver with 255 GB, I have tried to find any reasons for that but couldn't find any.... haven't deleted any files from library and checked via auto import.

any suggestions to why that is? (the folder scanned by auto-import contains purely music folders) it is driving me crazy and I can't compare each file, it will take half a day....

any help would be highly appreciated!

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Library size mismatch
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2015, 08:39:16 am »

Is it possible the folder size in Explorer is including extra things that aren't imported?  Logs, images, or similar?
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

OfM

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2015, 08:48:19 am »

Is it possible the folder size in Explorer is including extra things that aren't imported?  Logs, images, or similar?

yes but I doubt that 25 GB of those files....

leezer3

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2015, 08:58:23 am »

I think this is probably a case of Size versus Size on disk here.

Apologies if this is a little unclear, but still  :-\
The underlying filesystem on your disk is made up of lots of little 'bits' called allocation units. The standard size for these in FAT32 filesystems is 32kb
Now for technical reasons, a sector can only be assigned to one file. Now, your files are highly unlikely to end on an exact multiple of 32kb, and thus every file will end up taking anything up to 32kb extra.

There are also a couple of other cases that work in a similar way, all in all that means that each file's size on disk is actually bigger than it's size.

What does this mean?
The more files you have, the more of these missing kb there are :)

A rather extreme case in point is attached from my system.

-Leezer-

Arindelle

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2015, 09:07:02 am »

I think I understand what leezer is talking about, but 25gb difference is 10% of total storage if I followed the OP correctly.

I'd check to see if you have dead links or duplicate meta data ... the library might be calculating them in their total, but actually they are only one file in Windows. Also maybe check to see if you have imported a local drive letter and a networked mapped drive letter (eg. imported g:\ once but g:\ is included in network drive z:\  - I sometimes do this when  I just import one folder. 25gbs is only 40 albums or so; maybe you have a temp ripping folder that you imported manually?

OfM

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2015, 09:17:42 am »

I think this is probably a case of Size versus Size on disk here.

Apologies if this is a little unclear, but still  :-\
The underlying filesystem on your disk is made up of lots of little 'bits' called allocation units. The standard size for these in FAT32 filesystems is 32kb
Now for technical reasons, a sector can only be assigned to one file. Now, your files are highly unlikely to end on an exact multiple of 32kb, and thus every file will end up taking anything up to 32kb extra.

There are also a couple of other cases that work in a similar way, all in all that means that each file's size on disk is actually bigger than it's size.

What does this mean?
The more files you have, the more of these missing kb there are :)

A rather extreme case in point is attached from my system.

-Leezer-

Thanks for the detailed info Leezer but the size and the size on disk match in my case, I checked that first. 280 GB on both...

OfM

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2015, 09:24:50 am »

I think I understand what leezer is talking about, but 25gb difference is 10% of total storage if I followed the OP correctly.

I'd check to see if you have dead links or duplicate meta data ... the library might be calculating them in their total, but actually they are only one file in Windows. Also maybe check to see if you have imported a local drive letter and a networked mapped drive letter (eg. imported g:\ once but g:\ is included in network drive z:\  - I sometimes do this when  I just import one folder. 25gbs is only 40 albums or so; maybe you have a temp ripping folder that you imported manually?

Thanks for your suggestions!

My auto import is set for a single mother folder in an external HDD named 'Music' so It doesn't include any double folders. Don't have a temp ripping folder as I rip my CD's on a different PC.

How do I look for Dead links in JRiver? just go file after file? same goes for duplicate meta deta...

(BTW just emphasizing that JRiver has the smaller size mentioned....)

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2015, 09:39:40 am »

How do I look for Dead links in JRiver? just go file after file? same goes for duplicate meta deta...

Just set auto-import to fix broken links and run.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Arindelle

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2015, 09:44:29 am »

(BTW just emphasizing that JRiver has the smaller size mentioned....)
oops then this is probably not the answer. I mixed it up in my head sorry.

Maybe in your autoimport settings you have checked "ignore files previously removed from library". Make sure this is unchecked and also check "yes to fix broken links and protect unconnected drives .. and run auto import again? EDIT: Matt is faster than I -- and more concise !! :D

for info ... to check for dead links

you can import this into a new smartlist if you want

Code: [Select]
[Media Type]=[Audio] [=IsMissing([Filename])]=1
or simply paste this in the search box with all the library visibly in a view [=IsMissing([Filename])]=1

the results will have a red no entry sign just delete them ..

to find the other I would look in the file view and see in the location pane that another drive letter other than your main one is not showing up ... again

OfM

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2015, 10:10:37 am »

oops then this is probably not the answer. I mixed it up in my head sorry.

Maybe in your autoimport settings you have checked "ignore files previously removed from library". Make sure this is unchecked and also check "yes to fix broken links and protect unconnected drives .. and run auto import again? EDIT: Matt is faster than I -- and more concise !! :D

for info ... to check for dead links

you can import this into a new smartlist if you want

Code: [Select]
[Media Type]=[Audio] [=IsMissing([Filename])]=1
or simply paste this in the search box with all the library visibly in a view [=IsMissing([Filename])]=1

the results will have a red no entry sign just delete them ..

to find the other I would look in the file view and see in the location pane that another drive letter other than your main one is not showing up ... again

well the "ignore files previously removed from library" is unchecked and another auto import came back empty.... however I did try the code:  [=IsMissing([Filename])]=1 and it came up with 90 GB of files, all of them from what I could see are .ISO SACD and single track .FLAC +cue....

strange because all the files do play and don't show any sign of problem and even the path is good.... on top of that it is 90 GB and not the missing 25GB

Arindelle

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2015, 10:15:18 am »

ah ha! there you go ... those are considered as "data" files -- check data files as well as audio and it should sort itself out.

OfM

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2015, 10:46:07 am »

ah ha! there you go ... those are considered as "data" files -- check data files as well as audio and it should sort itself out.

I wish... The thing is the library already recognized those files.... the DATA check-box was already checked in the Auto-import.....

I also checked the logs and pictures and it sums up to about 10 GB, so still 15 GB unaccounted for... if the .ISO files were not calculated in the first place that is an extra 50GB... way more than the missing 15GB  and would leave me with 35GB more(!) than what windows shows....
Pages: [1]   Go Up