INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Issue with "Play local if one that matches Library Server file is found" option  (Read 1278 times)

pahunt

• World Citizen

I have a Windows library server that serves 2 Windows library clients and all are currently running version 20.0.74. On both clients I have the "Play local if one that matches Library Server file is found" option ticked in the "Client Options" section however it only seems to have an effect on one of the clients. This was highlighted when I tried to play a Blu-Ray rip as it gave me a message on one of the clients telling me that "Blu-Ray playback on a library server is not supported", however the same file plays without an issue on the other client. The rips are referenced in the library using UNC paths and using Windows Explorer I can successfully browse to the path from each client.

Is there some other setting that can affect this option?

Thanks!

Arindelle

• Citizen of the Universe

Not really sure about this, but on my set up at least it seems that lettered mapped network drives are perceived as local wheras UNC paths are not ...  also I have found that on my (very slow) network, everything runs better with mapped drives. Give it a try maybe?

I don't think it should make a difference, but for some reason for me it does.

Have no clue why it would work on one client and not the other however ...

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient

Have you checked whether the client on which local playback is not working has permissions to access the files on the server?  You say you can navigate to the file, but what happens if you try to start playback from explorer?

glynor

• MC Beta Team

Not really sure about this, but on my set up at least it seems that lettered mapped network drives are perceived as local wheras UNC paths are not

Nope.  UNC paths are treated as local if the client can access them (they're on the same LAN and have permissions and whatnot).
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

pahunt

• World Citizen

Nope.  UNC paths are treated as local if the client can access them (they're on the same LAN and have permissions and whatnot).

Yeah as I say on the other client the UNC path work fine. I'll check the permissions as suggested by mwillems when I get home.

glynor

• MC Beta Team

One thing to be aware of with UNC paths...

The user account on the client computer in question must have opened the share at least once via Windows Explorer before MC can treat them as local files.  This caches connection credentials used to access the share.  If you use mapped drive letters this isn't required (because mapping the drive does the same).
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

pahunt

• World Citizen

Confirmed last night that it is indeed some kind of Windows permissions issue. Didn't have time to look into it properly, but I had similar issues outside of MC so thanks for all your help  :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up