INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How does MC check to see if a Show has previously been recorded?  (Read 1482 times)

CountryBumkin

• Citizen of the Universe
How does MC check to see if a Show has previously been recorded?
« on: February 03, 2015, 12:15:16 pm »

I seem to be getting a duplicate recordings (same series, season, episode, and description).

I have some series (like Big Bang Theory) set to record all shows, on all channels, at all times, while allowing reruns - but not to "record duplicates" if possible.  This is a big task for MC.  8)  I can have up to three tuners recording at the same time on different channels.

I see that the series name, season, and episode is being captured correctly, but I'm still getting duplicates. The last couple of duplicates I noticed where recorded on the same days but different channels.

What does MC use to determine if a recorded Show already exists (does it scan my library looking at "Series, Season, episode")?
I would think it would have to.

Does it do its scan the library to see if the Show already exists just "moments" prior to recording?

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
Re: How does MC check to see if a Show has previously been recorded?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2015, 05:07:51 pm »

Are the duplicate shows aired at the same time on different channels?

We check program name, series name, and description.  All three must match.  Then we make sure that previous recording is complete (it can not be more than 5 minutes shorter than the supposed duration).

Without looking into this in more details, I see that maybe there is a problem when one recording is started before another recording has finished (like when they are aired on different channels at the same time).
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

rammingspeed

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2015, 06:16:26 pm »

Are the duplicate shows aired at the same time on different channels?

We check program name, series name, and description.  All three must match.  Then we make sure that previous recording is complete (it can not be more than 5 minutes shorter than the supposed duration).
I've seen multiple instances of the description for a rerun not matching if the recordings are scheduled from different channels.  I would think that series name and episode name would be enough to match. 

If MC were to check season and episode numbers, when provided, that would be ideal.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2015, 07:10:27 pm »

The current design reflects our mentality of "better duplicated than missed".

CountryBumkin

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2015, 07:11:46 am »

The problem in my case may be that after I collect a bunch of TV series recordings (like a weeks worth), I go back and do a "group update" using "get Movie & TV info", which then is allowed to overwrite the description. I have not noticed if this update process actually changes the description or not, but I know it adds additional information (like aired date) that is not coming from my EPG data source.

When I was using the "OTA" EPG data (a few months ago), I did not get the season and episode numbers so in that case looking at the show's description made sense.  However, now that I use xmltv (Zap2it) for my EPG data, I get consistent series, season, and episode data.

Perhaps MC could offer a choice where the User could select (via check boxes) what fields (like Series Name, Season Number, Episode Number, Episode name, date aired, and/or Episode Description) to have MC compare to determine if a show is already recorded, I think that level of customization would fit everyone's situation.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2015, 04:46:59 pm »

Updating from "get Movie & TV info" probably changed the description.  This is a very plausible explanation.

CountryBumkin

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2015, 07:43:28 am »

Perhaps MC could offer a choice where the User could select (via check boxes) what fields (like Series Name, Season Number, Episode Number, Episode Name, date aired, and/or Episode Description, etc.) to have MC compare to determine if a show is already recorded, I think that level of customization would fit everyone's situation.

Thanks for adding this !!!

rammingspeed

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2015, 06:36:03 pm »

Thanks.   ;D
Pages: [1]   Go Up