INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Id PI's Firefox browser misfires on Locate-On Disk(external)  (Read 3153 times)

duncan4791

• Junior Woodchuck
Id PI's Firefox browser misfires on Locate-On Disk(external)
« on: October 18, 2016, 03:21:30 pm »

On the current version of the Id Pi (20.0.104/20.0.140-46-armf) in Gui mode using an external hard disk, when pressing the Locate-On Disk(external) menu item a Firefox browser is called up and three odd things then happen.

1. The right-click pop-up menu remains on screen fixed in the front over the firefox browser for as long as the browser is open.

2. Switching from the browser back to Media Center or moving the browser does not refresh the display leaving a white block instead. Media Center appears to be frozen while the browser is actively handling the Locate operation.

3. The browser opens multiple tabs instead of one because it breaks the filename into the directory string + first word of filename and then individual elements from all the other words in the name. Then it opens tabs based on matches in the automatch history data the browser builds during use.

Other than that, since building this server with the Digiberry Digi+ card outputting over optical to a Schiit Modi Multibit Dac, the software has worked OK.

bob

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Id PI's Firefox browser misfires on Locate-On Disk(external)
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2016, 06:14:43 pm »

When MC calls a gtk dialog it is inactive until the dialog closes.

It shouldn't be pulling up firefox, it should be a gtk file browser. We'll need to check into that.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2016, 03:55:10 pm »

Fixed as part of the OTA update just uploaded.

duncan4791

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2016, 04:04:52 pm »

Thanks, have updated. Will test as soon as I can get everything plugged in to use GUI.

duncan4791

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2016, 08:46:07 am »

Have tested the new version and the problem of locate/external still executing the Firefox browser remains. Panel reports - Id: 20.0.104  MC: 20.0.140-46-armhf  Engen: 1.0.38  Id Script: 20.0.119. This is the reported correct verion of Id Script containing the fix.

On another note, I use the HifiBerry Digi+ s/pdif hat. This as mentioned earlier worked  just by adding a device tree dtoverlay=hifiberry-digi entry and removing dtparam=audio=on from the config.txt.

It is recommended that an /etc/asound.conf file be added containing:

pcm.!default  {
 type hw card 0
}
ctl.!default {
 type hw card 0
}.

The digi+ worked for me just by changing config.txt. However, the new Digi+ Pro board uses new drivers and requires an update to the kernel. This update is already in Raspian Pixel and the new card worked fine with JRiver Linux on Pi3.

These, as far as I can tell, are popular hats for the Pi and fully supporting them would be a plus. I have, since buying the Id pi sd card, gotten a lot of solid use from the pi and regular dig+ and am looking forward to an updated version in the future.

Thanks, Duncan

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2016, 10:06:43 am »

Have tested the new version and the problem of locate/external still executing the Firefox browser remains. Panel reports - Id: 20.0.104  MC: 20.0.140-46-armhf  Engen: 1.0.38  Id Script: 20.0.119. This is the reported correct verion of Id Script containing the fix.
Ok, we'll take another look.

On another note, I use the HifiBerry Digi+ s/pdif hat. This as mentioned earlier worked  just by adding a device tree dtoverlay=hifiberry-digi entry and removing dtparam=audio=on from the config.txt.
Do these 2 changes have any effect on non HifiBerry Digi+ s/pdif hat users? If not, we could just add them to the config.

It is recommended that an /etc/asound.conf file be added containing:

pcm.!default  {
 type hw card 0
}
ctl.!default {
 type hw card 0
}.

The digi+ worked for me just by changing config.txt. However, the new Digi+ Pro board uses new drivers and requires an update to the kernel. This update is already in Raspian Pixel and the new card worked fine with JRiver Linux on Pi3.

These, as far as I can tell, are popular hats for the Pi and fully supporting them would be a plus. I have, since buying the Id pi sd card, gotten a lot of solid use from the pi and regular dig+ and am looking forward to an updated version in the future.

Thanks, Duncan
Thanks for the feedback.

duncan4791

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2016, 09:52:09 am »

Thanks for looking into the locate problem.

Commenting out the dtparm=audo=on disables on card audio (hdmi and phono) so should not be removed as standard.

As to the Linux device-tree entries in the config.txt file, I'm not a Linux person so, as far as I understand the device-tree the user must manually edit the config.txt file to enter a dtoverlay entry for their respective hardware. I don't know if multiple entries for non-existent hats should be listed in the config.txt. The /boot/overlays directory contains .dtbo files for all of the currently supported Pi Hats, in Pixel this includes the new Digi+ Pro. Apparently the drivers for these cards are baked into the kernel. HiFiberry pro cards require kernel 4.4.19

By accessing the sd card under Linux I could access the full Linux directory which allowed me to add the asound file to the /etc directory. This is supposed to set the chosen hat as the default, if the dtparm=audio=on is removed. All of this config stuff is described on the HiFiberry web site so I just did what was described.

Personally, I'm having problems with the Digi+ Pro. It sounds terribly thin and hollow into my Schiit Modi Multibit dac. Currently I have reverted back to the standard Digi+ which sounds OK.

Thanks, Duncan

duncan4791

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2016, 08:13:15 am »

Thanks for the fix and all the work being done on all of your software versions. From my own experience I know it's a heavy workload.
Pages: [1]   Go Up