INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: On-the-fly playback of DSF files and VST3-based EQ filter  (Read 1859 times)

michael123

• Galactic Citizen
On-the-fly playback of DSF files and VST3-based EQ filter
« on: May 10, 2015, 07:55:32 am »

Hi

I've been converting DSF files to FLAC in offline using sacd_plugin for foobar, but last week decided to abandon this process and rather stream directly DSF relying on JRiver's built-in conversion process

What I've noticed is the substantial bass output, comparing to smooth sound coming from foobar's FLAC files.

On certain tracks it rather sounds as lack of EQ, so I am trying to figure out could it be the EQ (which is VST3 plug-in) is operated differently?

My DAC is 192/24, and the JRiver plays out the converted DSF at 176.4/24 (this is how I configured it, and this is what I had in foobar sacd_plugin), the LPF I set for 30KHz

I seems to like more the sound of JRiver, it has more of 'character', probably to more defined bass..
But I am trying to figure out why does it happen

thanks

michael123

• Galactic Citizen
Re: On-the-fly playback of DSF files and VST3-based EQ filter
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2015, 07:01:25 am »

<ping :) >

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2015, 07:05:09 am »

Try removing the VST equalizer.

michael123

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2015, 07:13:50 am »

It is the FabFilter.

It is working fine with FLAC files, I measured with REW, handle few peaks in the bass area - and the result is OK.

I am saying that I am now trying to play DSF files directly (rather than converting them in foobar as before to 176/24 FLAC), and I hear that the bass is more punchy, and at some times even annoying.

1) Could it be there is a bug in MC20?
2) Could it be there is a bug in sacd_plugin in foobar?

My DAC is configured so MC will resample rates above 192/24 to 176/24 and 192/24 (divided by 2), and I see 176/24 on its display when playing back DSF.

When all the VST plug-ins are handled?
After DSF was resampled to PCM (64-bit etc.) and then down-sampled to 176/24 (in my case)?

Bass change is not subtle, I feel it sometimes in my chest..
Pages: [1]   Go Up