INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: [Playlist Remaining Time] may be buggy (and uses different format)  (Read 1507 times)

kstuart

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Upgraded to MC22 Master using preorder discount

When I try to use [Playlist Remaining Time] in Customize Display, it rounds it off to the nearest minutes.

So, when I use:

[Elapsed Time]   //   [Total Time]   //   [Remaining Time]  // [Playlist Remaining Time]  [Bit Depth]-bit//[Sample Rate] kHz   [Bitrate (labeled)]   fixcase([File type],3)   [Channels] Channel  fixcase([Zone],3) Zone  Track [PN position] of [PN tracks]

I end up with a Display of:

9:13 / 12:09 / -2:56 / 11 minutes  [ and the rest ]

Can we please get [Playlist Remaining Time] in the same accuracy and format as [Remaining Time] ?

Thanks !

Note: So I tried a really long playlist and the Playlist Remaining Time comes out as:

501 hours 29 minutes

FYI, if I use the FormatDuration function, then it comes out as:

8:21

which is 8 days, colon, 21 hours.  (But I am not using FormatDuration with any of the other three times.)

So the problem is that - for some reason - only two integers are allowed.

What would be best - to fit the Physical CD Player Display Paradigm - would be to have more than 2 integers, so it would be either

8:21:29:03

representing days:hours:minutes:seconds

or

501:29:03

if it is easier to not deal with days.

The concept is to use the same format as the existing [Remaining Time], so a negative sign for clarity (same as [Remaining Time]) would be helpful.

BTW, another problem with using text "hours" and "minutes" is that it takes up way too much of the Player Display, which is very limited in size.

Thanks for taking the time to examine this issue.

Re: [Playlist Remaining Time] uses different format than [Remaining Time]
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2015, 12:14:16 pm »

It seems that neither [Remaining Time] nor [Playlist Remaining Time] are returning the correct values.

If I use [Duration,0] on an album stored as a 44:26 minute long track, I get: 2666 (seconds)
[Playlist Remaining Time,0] returns: 44 minutes
[Remaining Time,0] returns: -44:26

So it is not possible to format either of these values.
However that led me to find another issue... is there any way to apply custom formats to a duration?
FormatDuration() seems to use a fixed format, and does not accept any of the modifiers that FormatDate() does.

And there's still no [Playlist Total Time] or [Playlist Elapsed Time] which means that [Playlist Remaining Time] is of no use to me.

kstuart

Re: [Playlist Remaining Time] uses different format than [Remaining Time]
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2015, 05:50:48 pm »

There seems to possibly be some instability in the code used for this feature.

I've been using Build 25 for a while ( because I have a number of CUE files, and have had too much other work over the past weeks to deal with fallout from the major CUE rewrite, so I put it off ).

I've had more spare time recently, and updated to 70->73->74.

I added [Playlist Remaining Time] to my player display.

Meanwhile, every morning for the past several years, I have a batch file start MediaCenter and it plays a long (random) playlist of music, suitable for starting the day.

Since I upgraded to 74, every morning the playlist stops playing - after playing a few songs - because it is hanging with white screen and hourglass pointer.

I went back to 25 and everything worked fine for hours.

I thought that maybe the fix in 78->79 might fix this, but when I tried 79, same problem.

So I suspected the new SRC high precision code, and so I tried going back to 66 (before the SRC change)... same problem.

Then on a hunch, I tried 61... and it worked fine for several hours.

Continuing my hunch, I removed [Playlist Remaining Time] from the my Player Display, and then updated to 79... and it has worked fine now ( for longer than it took for the problem to appear previously ).

So, there seems to be something in its code that can cause MC20 to hang (either computing the value, or displaying it).

If and when someone looks at that, also consider changing it to the same format as [Remaining Time] - i.e. an intenger number of seconds.

Thanks !

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: [Playlist Remaining Time] may be buggy (and uses different format)
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2015, 09:17:08 am »

Next build:
Fixed: The player evaluating "Playlist Remaining Time" could hang (only maybe fixed, testing appreciated).

I can't reproduce the hang so am not really sure if the solution will do any good or not.  That's why testing is appreciated.

Thanks.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

kstuart

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2015, 11:34:29 am »

Next build:
Fixed: The player evaluating "Playlist Remaining Time" could hang (only maybe fixed, testing appreciated).

I can't reproduce the hang so am not really sure if the solution will do any good or not.  That's why testing is appreciated.

Thanks.
Will definitely give it a try when released, thanks !

79 continued to work fine over the weekend with Playlist Remaining Time removed from the display.

kstuart

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2015, 03:11:22 pm »

Fix in build 80 seems to be working, as I have 2.5 hours playing back the same big playlist without any hang.  Thanks!

I am at least curious as to why [Playlist Remaining Time] uses a different format and data type than [Remaining Time].  Was it just an oversight ?  It makes harder for the user to customize the player display.
Pages: [1]   Go Up