INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Converting a Playlist to Album  (Read 1446 times)

Bigguy49

• World Citizen
Converting a Playlist to Album
« on: March 26, 2015, 10:29:11 am »

Wondered if there was a way to convert an existing Playlist, comprised of tracks from various Albums, to an Album without copying files from the source(s) to a new (data) folder.

Looking for an easy way to copy actual files in a Playlist to another folder for storage or burning to a data disc.

CountryBumkin

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Converting a Playlist to Album
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2015, 11:23:44 am »

I'm confused what you are asking for. In the first sentence you said "convert playlist to an album without copying files form the source to a new folder", then in the second sentence you said " looking for a way to copy actual files to another folder".

I had a playlist on my computer (multiple tracks from multiple albums/artists) that I wanted to play in my car, so I just right clicked on the playlist and selected "export" which copied everything to a USB stick. Essentially I created a "new" album from an existing playlist. Is this what you want?

Bigguy49

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2015, 11:44:52 am »

I'm confused what you are asking for. In the first sentence you said "convert playlist to an album without copying files form the source to a new folder", then in the second sentence you said " looking for a way to copy actual files to another folder".

I had a playlist on my computer (multiple tracks from multiple albums/artists) that I wanted to play in my car, so I just right clicked on the playlist and selected "export" which copied everything to a USB stick. Essentially I created a "new" album from an existing playlist. Is this what you want?

Sorry for confusion, Country!
I have a Playlist which is comprised of tracks from various Albums in my Audio library.
I know I can burn the tracks listed in the Playlist to a CD-R for playback.
Is there any way to create a new Album under Audio without copying the source files (listed in the Playlist) to another folder in my music drive and then importing that into MC?

ferday

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2015, 11:55:21 am »

not really, because if you want them to show as an "album" then you'd need to change the album tag, which would tell your PC that it's a different file

that's really kind of what playlists are for, a playlist is just an "album" of tracks right?

one way you could get around it is to create a custom tag, and then tag all the playlist files with that tag, then create an album view that sorted based on that tag.  this way it wouldn't mess with the normal views for those files and you wouldn't have to copy any files

Bigguy49

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2015, 12:08:31 pm »

not really, because if you want them to show as an "album" then you'd need to change the album tag, which would tell your PC that it's a different file

that's really kind of what playlists are for, a playlist is just an "album" of tracks right?

one way you could get around it is to create a custom tag, and then tag all the playlist files with that tag, then create an album view that sorted based on that tag.  this way it wouldn't mess with the normal views for those files and you wouldn't have to copy any files

Thanks for the suggestion, Ferday.  Have not explored custom tags personally but recognize how much of a tool they can be.
For my purposes, it may be just as easy to create a new album folder with the desired Playlist tracks in my source library.
Pages: [1]   Go Up