INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Import continually runs Getting Movie & TV Info for 36 files  (Read 2233 times)

csimon

• Citizen of the Universe
Import continually runs Getting Movie & TV Info for 36 files
« on: March 08, 2015, 11:31:18 am »

I have in the last couple of weeks ripped a box set of 36 TV episodes but each import I have done since then repeats Getting Movie & TV Info for those 36 files. At least, the progress message states it's getting Movie & TV info for 36 more files than I expect it to process in that session.  What causes it to think it needs to re-do it?  The import results dialog doesn't say anything, it just lists the correct files that I want it to import, and it doesn't re-analyse the audio for those 36 files.

V20.0.80

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
Re: Import continually runs Getting Movie & TV Info for 36 files
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2015, 11:35:23 am »

Do those files show up with the correct cover art and information when you look at them in the library?  Put another way, is the get movie and TV info working?  If not, it may be a file permissions issue.  I've seen similar behavior when MC couldn't write to the files or the directory they were in, resulting in MC being unable to create sidecars, etc.

It just kept rerunning the get movie and tv info every import until I fixed the permissions.

csimon

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2015, 12:13:06 pm »

The TVDB ID is populated in the tags along with titles and the Access Rating. There is no Description though, but I can't get onto the TVDB web site to check as it's "undergoing maintenance".

I can't see anything wrong with the permissions. The directory has exactly the same permissions as all the others and, under the same account that MC runs under, I can create new files in that folder and rename etc.

However, I did think there was something not quite right withthe TVDB lookup although I accepted it at the time becuase I thought that was the best it could do. The boxed set is actually season 1 of the Banana splits (yes, I know!). When I first imported them, the lookup stored the title of the particular episode of the Three Musketeers that was included in that show. So I've now tried to Get Movie & TV Info separately on each file and there are two entries returned - one is the Three Musketeers episode in position 1, and the other is the proper one of the episode of Banana Splits. So I've selected the second one for six of the files so far and re-run auto import, and it's only now re-running Get Movie & TV info for 30 of the files. So it looks like that is the problem.

But..

a. MC's lookup in the first place isn't getting the correct TVDB entry (even the file is named correctly according to convention as "The Banana Splits.S01E01.Title.mkv".
b. MC somehow knows that it didn't get it correct first time around and tries to re-do it each time, but still gets hold of the wrong info.

CountryBumkin

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2015, 01:32:05 pm »

a. MC's lookup in the first place isn't getting the correct TVDB entry (even the file is named correctly according to convention as "The Banana Splits.S01E01.Title.mkv".
b. MC somehow knows that it didn't get it correct first time around and tries to re-do it each time, but still gets hold of the wrong info.

I took a look on TVDB and found two series for the The Banana Splits: "The Banana Splits Adventure Hour", and "The Banana Splits and Friends Show". Both have different episodes listed, so if you did not specify the full series name, perhaps TVBD is confused regarding which series to use.

csimon

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2015, 01:41:09 pm »

I think this is a combination of a poorly released DVD set and a mixup at TVDB. The actual title of the collection is ...and Friends, however that is the TVDB entry that is wrong and only contains the title of the Three musketeers episode contained within. The Adventure Hour is the one that's correct with complete descriptions of what happens in the Banana Splits bits but that's not what the set is called. But also, I've noticed that those entries don't exactly tally with the episodes on the DVDs either, and previously having looked up the reviews of the DVDs, it looks like these maybe are not the exact episodes that were aired. And MC only gets info up to episode 19 , the rest it can't find.

How have you looked up TVDB? The site has been down for some time. Have you got another way into it?

Also, why did MC think it had to re-do them, if it thought it got it first time around, why did it not just leave them?

CountryBumkin

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2015, 07:01:11 am »

How have you looked up TVDB? The site has been down for some time. Have you got another way into it?

Also, why did MC think it had to re-do them, if it thought it got it first time around, why did it not just leave them?

It was working fine yesterday, and it is working now. http://thetvdb.com/
Are you in the US?

csimon

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2015, 07:06:58 am »

It was working fine yesterday, and it is working now. http://thetvdb.com/

So it is!  It's not been working for the last few days and still wasn't yesterday when I checked. It had a notice up on the front page to the effect that the user-facing was site was down due to improvement. I'm in the UK.

csimon

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2015, 07:37:19 am »

Now I can easily browse the entries on the site, it seems that "..and Friends" should be the correct name for the DVD set I've got, and TVDB matches up with them, and "..Adventure Hour" is a doubled-up version of "...and Friends", i.e. episodes 3 & 4 of "..and Friends" is episode 2 of "...Adventure Hour".

But TVDB has no descriptive entries for the "...And Friends" series and the titles are named after the Three Musketeers episode contained within rather than the Banana Splits episode itself.

The question about MC remains though.  It looks like it did find the correct entry initially, even though the filenames weren't named "...and Friends".  But why did it keep trying to find them if it had already done so and saved the TVDB IDs?  Is this MC's way of telling the user that there was ambiguity in the name, if so then perhaps this could be made a little more user-friendly with a dialog box maybe or the import result showing a message that a 100% match couldn't be found?  Or is it a bug?  What is it that causes MC to re-do the Movie & TV info?  Has it not saved a tag properly?

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2015, 07:44:14 am »

It'll run on any files that miss info in "Description" or "Actors" iirc.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

csimon

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2015, 07:57:45 am »

That explains it then, because that information is missing in TVDB.  Is there any way to switch this off?  Probably by manually putting a dot or something into description?  Or by getting TVDB corrected I suppose, is that the fix?

csimon

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2015, 08:17:06 am »

Shouldn't the fact that it's got a TVDB ID stop it from looking it up again?

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2015, 08:28:33 am »

The TVDB ID is a relational field for the entire series, so its presence for an individual file isn't particularly meaningful.
MC automatically assigns it as soon as it figures out which series it belongs to.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

csimon

« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2015, 08:32:51 am »

So is the answer to fill in description and actors manually with something made up to stop MC looking them up every time in vain?
Pages: [1]   Go Up