INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: TV show import errors  (Read 2113 times)

rossp

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
TV show import errors
« on: April 13, 2015, 08:59:19 am »

Hi all, I have noticed for the last few builds an issue when importing TV shows.

I rip them to a temporary folder with the show name and series episode (S01E10 etc) in the filename.
I then use the get 'movie & TV info' feature to update the library with the correct info.
I then rename move and copy the files to their proper place and proper name (Series - S01E10 - episode name.mkv).

The issues are

1) During the rename the sidecar and image files go with the video but they have the old name.
2) All other files in the temporary folder move to the new folder (even if MC has not imported them). They are moved before the message box saying you are moving x files do you want to continue comes up.

This is with the latest 20.0.93 build.

Ross

rossp

• MC Beta Team
Re: TV show import errors
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2015, 06:55:14 am »

Really, Am I the only one seeing this or am I making an error?

Ross

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2015, 08:21:53 am »

1) During the rename the sidecar and image files go with the video but they have the old name.
2) All other files in the temporary folder move to the new folder (even if MC has not imported them). They are moved before the message box saying you are moving x files do you want to continue comes up.

There is a box in the "Rename, Move, Copy" dialog labelled something like "move all files in the folder even if not imported."  I'd bet you have that box checked.  Uncheck it, and both of your problems will go away.  

When the box is checked, MC moves all the non-media files in the folder as is, even sidecar files and cover art.  When the box is unchecked, MC will only move the media files, the sidecars, and the cover art, but nothing else.  When MC moves the sidecars and jpgs with the box unchecked, it also renames them correctly (because they are MC created files).

So your issue 2) is the setting working as intended.  Your issue 1) is, in my opinion, a bug.  It's counterintuitive that the "support" files would be moved and renamed when the box is not checked, but moved and not renamed when the box is checked, and I reported the renaming behavior as a bug a few builds ago.

Regardless, uncheck the box and you should get the results you want.

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2015, 08:28:41 am »

There is a box in the "Rename, Move, Copy" dialog labelled something like "move all files in the folder even if not imported."  I'd bet you have that box checked.  Uncheck it, and both of your problems will go away.  

When the box is checked, MC moves all the non-media files in the folder as is, even sidecar files and cover art.  When the box is unchecked, MC will only move the media files, the sidecars, and the cover art, but nothing else.  When MC moves the sidecars and jpgs with the box unchecked, it also renames them correctly (because they are MC created files).
Something about this has been broken ever since the option was implemented. I have a ton of stray sidecar files littered across multiple drives now, and a lot of movies/TV episodes which can no longer find their original cover art. (which only manifests itself when I mouse over them, and the thumbnail disappears)

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2015, 08:31:19 am »

Something about this has been broken ever since the option was implemented. I have a ton of stray sidecar files littered across multiple drives now, and a lot of movies/TV episodes which can no longer find their original cover art. (which only manifests itself when I mouse over them, and the thumbnail disappears)

Do you mean with the box checked, or unchecked?  When I move with the box unchecked, everything comes along and gets renamed correctly. It's only when I check the box that I get the kind of behavior you're describing.

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2015, 08:47:34 am »

Do you mean with the box checked, or unchecked?  When I move with the box unchecked, everything comes along and gets renamed correctly. It's only when I check the box that I get the kind of behavior you're describing.
The box was unchecked as I only let MC move files which are a part of the library.

Perhaps it was specific to a certain version, or when moving a certain number of files.
I've done a lot of reorganizing of my media recently in preparation for adding some more drives and have been left with hundreds of missing/stray sidecar files.

I did just test a single movie and it worked, so I don't know if that means it's working in the current version or if there's some specific thing which causes it to fail.
I suspect the latter, as I have not been able to determine a pattern for which files had their sidecars moved along with them, and which ones did not.

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2015, 10:22:23 am »

The box was unchecked as I only let MC move files which are a part of the library.

Perhaps it was specific to a certain version, or when moving a certain number of files.
I've done a lot of reorganizing of my media recently in preparation for adding some more drives and have been left with hundreds of missing/stray sidecar files.

I did just test a single movie and it worked, so I don't know if that means it's working in the current version or if there's some specific thing which causes it to fail.
I suspect the latter, as I have not been able to determine a pattern for which files had their sidecars moved along with them, and which ones did not.

I recently did a rename/move of several hundred video files and all sidecars came along (as well as other minor moves), and I've not seen any "orphans" with the box unchecked.  So it may have been a version issue, or there may be some other event which triggers the failure state.  Some thoughts:

1) I know that if MC didn't create the sidecar/cover art, they sometimes get left behind.  
2) File permissions can also potentially be an issue. I've run into this with JRiver for Linux (it may also be an issue with Macs since OSX is POSIX compliant) with the following fact pattern:  if user A rips a disc and then deposits the files on the file-share on the file server, the file will belong to user A and have the permissions specified in the mask settings for the share.  When a JRiver instance imports the file (assuming it has adequate permissions to do so), it will dutifully write the sidecar and cover art files, but it will do so as User B (the user that is running JRiver), and the file will have the permissions specified in the mask settings for the share.  If User A and User B are the same user, there's no issue, but if they're different users, this results in the peculiar outcome that the media file and the "support" files have different permissions with all the consequences that that brings.  That means that user A, for example, may be able to move the media file, but not the support files if he's running JRiver.  It's easy to fix once you figure it out, but it's confusing as all get out until you do.  It's definitely an issue in Linux, and from my reading, it may be an issue for Macs too (I haven't actually used a Mac since 1995, so I have no way of knowing personally)
3)Maximum file name/path length on windows can also be an issue (that's bit me in the past on a few files).  

There could be other contributing factors?

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2015, 10:41:29 am »

1) I know that if MC didn't create the sidecar/cover art, they sometimes get left behind.  
2) File permissions can also potentially be an issue.
3) Maximum file name/path length on windows can also be an issue
It's definitely none of these.

As I said, a lot of the file transfers went just fine, but I have more than 100 sidecars (XML files and cover art) scattered around several drives that were not moved with the RMC tool for some reason.
I suspect there is some combination of settings which results in the RMC tool not moving the sidecars for some reason, but I haven't been able to identify what that is, as I typically only notice this several days later when I'm browsing my library and as I mouse over items the cover art disappears.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2015, 11:50:54 am »

I'm about half-way through coding an "orphaned sidecar deleter utility" I've been making.  I'll try to work on it harder.  :)

I haven't seen issues with Rename, Move, and Copy Files itself losing the sidecars, but I do end up with a bunch of orphans because I auto-process files using MCAutoQueue.  One of the things that happens is that TS files get turned into MP4 or MKV files (converted and then deleted). This means that the "old" TS versions of the Sidecar files get orphaned.

So, I decided I needed a little cleanup utility.  When it is done, it'll be pretty simple.  You point it at a folder, and it'll walk the folder hierarchy and delete any Sidecar files it finds that don't have a media file on disk there with it.  But, since it deletes stuff, I'm being pretty careful, and I kinda lost steam recently.

I'll try to encourage myself to actually finish it.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2015, 12:55:13 pm »

That sounds useful.

Since sidecar files are generally quite small, it would be good if it moves them to the recycle bin rather than actually deleting the files, or even a specific output directory for "cleaned" files rather than deleting them at all.

rossp

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2015, 04:29:48 am »

You were right, I un-ticked the 'move all files' check box and normal operation resumed. To me this is wrong, with the box ticked I would expect MC to process the files in the normal way and then move any other files found in the original folder to the new one.

Ross
Pages: [1]   Go Up