INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DTS HD MA 3.0 problem  (Read 2436 times)

CraigNZ

• World Citizen
DTS HD MA 3.0 problem
« on: March 08, 2015, 06:28:44 pm »

I loaded the movie "All That Jazz" bluray which has 3.0 surround DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack but sound only comes from the center speaker.  The audio path shows 6 speakers DTS HD ma.  So I loaded a couple of other movies which also have DTS-HD MA and both played okay.  So I am thinking that DTS-HD 3.0 is a newer format.
I loaded PowerDVD and it played okay.  I also own TMT 6 and copied the dtsdecoderdll.dll (version 1.0.9) into the Windows WOW64 folder.  I am assuming that is why the other movies are playing okay.
Is there something about DTS-HD 3.0 that is not compatible .. or is there a setting I need to change?  Strange why it would only play through the center speaker.

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: DTS HD MA 3.0 problem
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2015, 08:46:01 pm »

I've tested a couple of DTS-HD 3.0 discs, and in all versions of the Arcsoft decoder, I can confirm that they're being decoded to a 6 channel output; but I am getting audio in L/R/C with LFE/SL/SR being silent.

If I mute the center channel via the Parametric EQ, I'm only hearing music/ambient noise, and if I mute the L/R channels I only get dialog. (just how those films were mixed I suppose)

It may just be that disc?

CraigNZ

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2015, 12:44:04 am »

The disc works okay with PowerDVD so I suspect the TMT decoder does not allow for the type of encoding put on this disc.  PowerDVD uses a different DTS decoder and seems to have gotten it correct.  But good to know that other 3.0 discs work okay with the TMT decoder.  My fear is that if we have no other solution for DTS-HD except the TMT decoder then as DTS evolves, we will be out of luck.

Is there another alternative to the TMT decoder?  I don't mind paying for it.  The obvious solution is to go out and spend a few thousand dollars for a receiver or preamp .. but surely there must be a cheaper solution.  Not sure if any of the new DAC's would do this.  Ideally there would be a DTS plug-in we would buy and install in JRiver.  Maybe an opportunity for some company or individual.

Ninouchka

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2015, 06:10:42 pm »

I have several blu-rays of the criterion collection and all of them have DTS-HD Master Audio 3.0, I play these blurays with my Cambridge Audio Azur blu-ray without problem.
I never tried to play these via the internal BR player/recorder on my htpc. I will try it on my htpc.
I have an old version of arcsoft tmt on the htpc.

Harroun4

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2015, 04:19:11 am »

A question related to this subject. Are you people playing a blue ray disc in a local drive and through the MC20? or have you managed to transfer the disc to the computer storage?

CraigNZ

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2015, 11:56:49 am »

I am using a blu ray disc in a local drive and MC20.  I muted the center channel (using sound card control panel) and when I turn up the volume I can faintly hear the L and R channels. So as posted earlier in this thread, it appears it was just the way the soundtrack was made.

CraigNZ

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2015, 12:14:31 pm »

What I finally did in the end was go into DSP Studio and added two entries to the PE.  One was to add the Center channel to Left channel, the other to add Center channel to Right channel.  I tried "Move center to front L/R" in Output Format but preferred the sound using the PE entries.  Just have to remember to turn it off when playing other movies.  I guess this would be a good example of where one could define DSP Studio templates and then assign them to each movie (or album/song).  A default template would be used when importing media.

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2015, 12:43:49 pm »

It would be good if you could upload a sample file with 30-60 seconds.
I can write up a quick guide if you need help doing this.
Pages: [1]   Go Up