INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: AV Sync Issues  (Read 2587 times)

trowbell

• Recent member
AV Sync Issues
« on: March 13, 2015, 11:49:45 am »

I'm running JRiver 20.0.80 and am still having AV sync issues. I've searched and read much but none of the options I have tried seem to make any difference at all.

If I pick any BR video and play to the new Samsung set UN55H6350 most times the audio is out of sync. I've tried the Video Clock smoothing and display settings for the dynamic zone (the TV) to no avail. I've tried adjusting the sync correction but again, it varies per movie so it's not a consistent solution. I've compared multiple video files and there does not seem to be any difference between them format wise. Yes I read audio tracks aren't always in sync however when I can ply the same video direct via VLC on the PC or from windows share on the WDTV Live box without any audio sync issues it narrows the problem down to JRiver or the TV.

I'm getting a bit frustrated as there are many options or features of the software that I can't find anything on or not enough detail to understand what changing a setting does. I understand the software is mostly forum supported here but this is starting to drive me crazy, I just want to be able to play my videos without issues.

If I take a BR video in a mkv container and drop it on the Samsung TV in the playing now section the video plays, just the sync is not consistent. Please help, I like a lot of features of this software and I did purchase an MC20 license but if I'm unable to get things to sync I'm leaning towards dropping it and going back to a windows network share. I have other questions as well I'm unable to find answers for, such as on the wdtv box or the Samsung TV I can't get any of the descriptions for the movies to display. That was one of the main features I wanted from this software as well, I can't remember all the movies and I was tired of looking them up to see what the plot, genere, etc was.

I'd even be willing to pay for support to help solve the couple of issues so I can get on to enjoying my media and not searching and scratching my head trying to figure out what is going to try and make it work.

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
Re: AV Sync Issues
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2015, 12:25:17 pm »

I'm running JRiver 20.0.80 and am still having AV sync issues. I've searched and read much but none of the options I have tried seem to make any difference at all.

If I pick any BR video and play to the new Samsung set UN55H6350 most times the audio is out of sync. I've tried the Video Clock smoothing and display settings for the dynamic zone (the TV) to no avail. I've tried adjusting the sync correction but again, it varies per movie so it's not a consistent solution. I've compared multiple video files and there does not seem to be any difference between them format wise. Yes I read audio tracks aren't always in sync however when I can ply the same video direct via VLC on the PC or from windows share on the WDTV Live box without any audio sync issues it narrows the problem down to JRiver or the TV.

I'm getting a bit frustrated as there are many options or features of the software that I can't find anything on or not enough detail to understand what changing a setting does. I understand the software is mostly forum supported here but this is starting to drive me crazy, I just want to be able to play my videos without issues.

If I take a BR video in a mkv container and drop it on the Samsung TV in the playing now section the video plays, just the sync is not consistent. Please help, I like a lot of features of this software and I did purchase an MC20 license but if I'm unable to get things to sync I'm leaning towards dropping it and going back to a windows network share. I have other questions as well I'm unable to find answers for, such as on the wdtv box or the Samsung TV I can't get any of the descriptions for the movies to display. That was one of the main features I wanted from this software as well, I can't remember all the movies and I was tired of looking them up to see what the plot, genere, etc was.

I'd even be willing to pay for support to help solve the couple of issues so I can get on to enjoying my media and not searching and scratching my head trying to figure out what is going to try and make it work.

How is your computer connected to your television?  HDMI?  DVI?  Something else?  You should be able to adjust the sync with videoclock and sync adjustment unless your PC is not actually connected to the TV?  Are you trying to use DLNA or a wi-fi connection?  If so that's important info and changes the situation pretty significantly.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2015, 12:26:59 pm »

There have been some changes in the latest beta versions to improve AV sync.  I can tell you it helped with a few, particular files I had that were doing oddball sync issues with recent builds.

I suspect they'll be released to the public board in the next few days.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

trowbell

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2015, 01:01:37 pm »

I realized I neglected to put the setup in after I posted. Standalone machine running JRiver with above adequate performance, connected via wire to the network. TV connect to the wired network as well, so it should be using DLNA. No wireless at all in the path from server to tv. Have tried various DLNA profiles even associated directly to the TV.

On the server if I take movie file and drop it on the TV in the playing now section it does play, just most of the files are not synced in audio. Like I mentioned I have tried the suggestions I have found including the videoclock sync. I've tried the sync adjustment as well. The problem is before or after any of these setting changes the sync seems unaffected unless I specify the delay under advanced ( I think I'm not at the console). Yes I stopped anything playing before making the changes and would redrag and drop the video after to make sure the settings would be applied. When I adjusted the delay it breaks the few movies that are close to being in sync.

I can post the media information for a file that works fine and one that doesn't. The container, frame rate, video type and audio type all look to be the same (AVC, DTS, 23.something I can't recall right now frame rate). I compared about 10 files to try and spot any differences but nothing noticeable. I'd roughly say 80-90% of the BR files are not in sync when I try to play via this method. I am not using the TV's remote for anything other than to turn the TV on, so when I drop the file in JRiver my understanding is it's sending it to the DLNA aspect of the TV anyhow to play the file.

Also, for gizmo or web remote is there any means to have it display the description field of the movie with the title or even if you mouse over it? Like mousing over Nightcrawler would pop-up a small netflix style box saying something like "A driven man desperate for work, muscles into the world of L.A. crime journalism"

I'm sure there are a variety of people that use this software with varying levels of understanding the pieces involved to make things work, I'm not an expert by far but I'm fairly technical and think I have a good grasp on most of it. One of the biggest frustrations is not being able to find enough or enough good information to understand better or figure things out. I'm happy searching for answers and information on my own to try and solve my problems and ask for help as the last resort.

Thanks,
Joe

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2015, 01:14:59 pm »

I'm not surprised that you didn't see any effect with videclock; to my knowledge videoclock and some of the other sync settings don't work over DLNA at all.  When you use DLNA, MC (for the most part) delivers the file in question to the renderer, and the renderer (in your case the TV) does whatever it does with it.  MC has a limited ability to affect how a renderer's a/v sync works, especially when the de-sync is variable.  

I have a Samsung Smart TV myself, and I have not been very impressed with it's abilities as a DLNA renderer; assuming that the issues you're seeing aren't related to the recently fixed sync issues glynor mentioned, the "easiest" solution would be to try and find a way to wire your computer to the TV (via HDMI) to cut DLNA out of the picture entirely.  With a direct connection, MC can control sync through videoclock because MC is in control of both the video and audio; when MC is serving to a renderer MC has limited control over what the renderer does if the renderer is not well-behaved.

If that's not possible, then you'll need to tinker some more with your DLNA settings to see if you can find a winning combination; maybe some of the DLNA gurus here can offer more info on what settings might be profitable to explore (I don't personally use DLNA for video so I don't know).  I know some folks in the past have had different results pulling from the TV's interface than pushing from JRiver.  You might find some useful info in this thread: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=92745.0

I'm not sure how to accomplish what you're looking for in Gizmo, but I bet it can be done.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2015, 01:22:58 pm »

The changes I mentioned are almost certainly not related to anything DLNA at all.

kstuart

• Upgraded to MC22 Master using preorder discount
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2015, 06:25:51 pm »

The changes I mentioned are almost certainly not related to anything DLNA at all.

Do those changes improve sync in madVR playback (aka Red October HQ) ?

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2015, 06:31:45 pm »

Do those changes improve sync in madVR playback (aka Red October HQ) ?

It did for me.  But, I was having very specific issues (usually at the beginning of playback) with certain file types.  I think related to the resampler change from a few weeks back.

trowbell

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2015, 09:21:04 am »

Thanks for the response. Direct connect I don't have any issues, I was hoping to not have the server direct attached to this TV but it is possible it will just take some work to rearrange the location of a few things.

Now I either need to figure out how to get Gizmo to be able to display the description field or wait and see when the JRiver remote for android comes out if it will do what I want it to do. A similar example - like gird view in theater mode - movies on the left and the information on the right.
Pages: [1]   Go Up