INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Request: Update a specific field  (Read 3711 times)

• Citizen of the Universe
Request: Update a specific field
« on: March 14, 2015, 03:11:20 am »

I was wondering if there was some way to update only one specific field in MC.
Running "Update Library (from tags)" on my library often results in undesired changes - even if I run "Update Tags (from library)" first, because MC doesn't seem to write all tags to the files, or can't in some cases.

But an example would be the "Total Tracks" field that was added in 20.0.72
This field is blank for most of my albums, since it was added to MC long after I had imported most of my music.
Is there any way to specifically update that field only?

If not, could we please get an "Update Field (from tags)" function that prompts us to pick a field (or fields) we want to update?

EDIT: On a related note, I'm not sure what calculates "Total Tracks" now, since I've just checked and I have a number of tracks that were imported in the last week which have a blank Total Tracks value as well. ?

Re: Update a specific field?
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2015, 02:28:49 pm »

Now that Media Center has native DTS-HD support and should be able to properly identify the number of channels in DTS-HD videos, this seems more relevant than ever.
I'm thinking that something like the "Paste Tags" dialog would be appropriate, where it lists all tags that have a value in the source file, and lets you select which tags to update.

At this point, the differences between tags in my library, and tags in the files are too great to ever consider running the "Update Library from Tags" option again.
And Media Center does not support writing all tags to all files, so running "Update Tags from Library" first is not a solution either.

ferday

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2015, 05:46:11 pm »

hey 62,

can't help with your problem, but wondering if you found a way to auto-calculate the total tracks field

i've been playing with a bunch of expression language but counting the files in the album is tough.

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2015, 05:11:36 pm »

hey 62,
can't help with your problem, but wondering if you found a way to auto-calculate the total tracks field
i've been playing with a bunch of expression language but counting the files in the album is tough.
Well updating the tags from the files should re-calculate this, I believe, but as I explain above, there really needs to be some way of updating fields selectively rather than all-or-nothing to prevent the loss of any changes that have been made in MC's library since the file was first imported.

ferday

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2015, 06:12:22 pm »

Updating tags did not fix it.  A variable expression did, so it's all good now

I'll definitely +1 updating a specific field(s)

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2015, 06:31:50 am »

Hm, it seems like there should be some way of getting the Total Tracks field to update without having to run import again.
Back to the original point though, there's still no way of finding which films in my library are actually 7.1 DTS now that the new DTS decoder should be able to read that, instead of misidentifying them as 5.1

This is all very frustrating.

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2015, 12:16:30 pm »

Hendrik did post an expression that would show the incorrectly tagged DTS HD-MA 7.1 files.
I'll see if I can find it.

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2015, 12:18:08 pm »

Does this help?

One thing that occured to me, I had to reanalyze a bunch of movies to get the proper channels into the analysis (since my server never bothered to have the decoder dll installed).

Just in case anyone cares, here is my "Need Re-analysis" Smartlist for that:
[Media Type]=[Video] -[Peak Level (R128)]="RL" [Channels]=8

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2015, 12:56:55 pm »

Thanks, but that doesn't help because MC thinks they only have 6 channels.

I would happily update the channels field (and preferably a selection of other fields) for all videos in the library, but absolutely cannot run a full "update library (from tags)" on my library now.

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2015, 01:28:55 pm »

Funny thing is that when I put that expression in the search field the first time, it did indeed pull up a bunch of dts-HD man that were labelled as 6-channel, but were in fact 8-channel. Don't know why that worked.

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2015, 10:05:33 am »

Funny thing is that when I put that expression in the search field the first time, it did indeed pull up a bunch of dts-HD man that were labelled as 6-channel, but were in fact 8-channel. Don't know why that worked.
Strange. I wonder if auto-import had removed and re-imported them at some point after the new decoder was installed?
I don't allow auto-import to remove files from the library any more.

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2015, 10:12:36 am »

Strange. I wonder if auto-import had removed and re-imported them at some point after the new decoder was installed?
I don't allow auto-import to remove files from the library any more.

That could be the case. There was a time when I was losing files from my library regularly.

« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2015, 11:30:56 am »

Ran into another problem that this would solve.
Was updating my Car Radio buttons, replacing their fixed playlists that contained all albums by a specific artist, to smartlists which play full albums from an artist while randomizing the order. (possible now thanks to the updated expand modifier)
This mostly works as expected, only when I'm sorting by sample rate to pick the highest quality track, all my SACDs are being put at the bottom of the list because that field is blank.
It was only more recently in v20 that SACDs would fill out the sample rate field.

Now doing a full update on SACDs is impossible.
SACD metadata is only stored in the MC library and updating from the file will replace it with stock ALL CAPS information which is completely unformatted and often missing a lot of information if not flat-out wrong.

So... once again requesting the option to update specific fields from the file, rather than it be all or nothing.

kstuart

• Upgraded to MC22 Master using preorder discount
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2015, 01:56:14 pm »

This mostly works as expected, only when I'm sorting by sample rate to pick the highest quality track, all my SACDs are being put at the bottom of the list because that field is blank.
It was only more recently in v20 that SACDs would fill out the sample rate field.
Well that's good then, because the highest quality track is almost never the one with the highest sample rate.

« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2015, 02:22:02 pm »

Well that's good then, because the highest quality track is almost never the one with the highest sample rate.
I actually did change it to sort by dynamic range first (though I wish I knew how to make that the album's dynamic range rather than track 1's dynamic range) and then sample rate, but the point remains: I can't sort most of my SACD imports by sample rate, because they were imported prior to MC filling out that field for SACDs.
Pages: [1]   Go Up