INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MacPro 5.1 running Win 7 - Sound card choices...  (Read 1848 times)

photon_trap

• Recent member
MacPro 5.1 running Win 7 - Sound card choices...
« on: March 14, 2015, 10:57:12 am »

Hey all, I'm pretty new to this forum and my situation is a little bit unconventional, so searches have not really yielded what I am looking for, so here it is -

I am running Win 7 on a MacPro 5.1 and I have been unable to use my Asus Xonar Essence STX because it requires an external power source and, while this MacPro is one clean machine, it does not help this non Mac oriented user in this regard.
So, what I am looking for is a help on getting the Xonar the power it needs or advice on weather I stand to benefit from another card and if so, which one.

I am currently using the S/PDIF output on the Mac's back panel into Cambridge Audio DacMagic.

Thanks

photon_trap

• Recent member
Re: MacPro 5.1 running Win 7 - Sound card choices...
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2015, 09:36:15 pm »

No one ?

bob

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2015, 11:26:58 pm »

Got one of those cards in my hand right now.

All you need is a old style [5 gnd gnd 12] volt connector and the Mac doesn't have any? I suppose it just has the newer style SATA power connectors?
I think you'd be able to find an adapter for that somewhere. There are certainly plenty of adapters that go the other way.

photon_trap

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2015, 12:27:36 pm »

Thanks Bob.
No, the (silly) Mac does not have wire harnesses coming from the power supply as us PC users are used to. It makes for a very clean installation but it's obviously a PITA in cases like this.
The solution I just got from the Mac guys is a SATA to Molex adapter (I post this for future generations, ha) The down side is it takes one (of four) hard drive bays out of commission - I guess I can live with that.
I am pretty new to these Mac things and I gotta say the hardware is top notch and as long as I am running Windows, all is well, very well.
Pages: [1]   Go Up