INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tagging: Separating Hi-res and CD files (better than using album title)  (Read 2915 times)

Frans

• Recent member

I have been adding (24/96) to the Album Title field for which I have CD and hi-res duplicates (yes, I sometimes double-dip).

Is there an "approved" way to keep the lo-res and hi-res files separated rather than the kludgy way I am modifying the album title field?

Another issue I have is with DTS (DVD-A) rips. I do the same thing in the Album Title to not accidentally play these on devices that don't decode DTS. I almost should make these a separate playlist because of the hellacious noise that happens if I play it on the wrong DAC.

With the proliferation of Hi-res and surround formats we need a better way to tag these albums to denote the differences.

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient

If the sampling rate and bitrate fields are populated in the file tags (which MC usually does automatically), you can easily separate the files by adding those tag fields to your view structure.  Or if you want them in the same views, you can change how albums are sorted and displayed to incorporate sampling rate or bitrate.  If you aren't familiar with customizing views, let us know and we can provide some more detailed instructions.

I think the same goes for DTS (although I don't have any DVD-A material to verify); the encoding tag should be populated with info that should allow you to filter them in various views.

In the tag window, you may need to change it to display all tags, but then you should see tag fields with this information.  

ferday

• MC Beta Team

i have made a smartlist to append HighDef, CD Rip, multichannel, or the average bitrate (if lossy).  the append goes on to the file folder in explorer but not the actual album name.  it's pretty easy to sort through when i have multiple copies of the same album but leaves the album name proper...now i just need to work on remasters!  so in windows folders i'd have for example

Nirvana-Nevermind-1991-FLAC-HD
Nirvana-Nevermind-1991-FLAC-CD
Nirvana-Nevermind-1991-DTS-Multi
Nirvana-Nevermind-1991-mp3-320

but in MC they are all just Nirvana Nevermind, and i can sort groups for the type

Frans

• Recent member

Some good ideas here, let me absorb!

Vincent Kars

Another issue I have is with DTS (DVD-A) rips. I do the same thing in the Album Title to not accidentally play these on devices that don't decode DTS. I almost should make these a separate playlist because of the hellacious noise that happens if I play it on the wrong DAC.

In Playing Now have a look at ZoneSwitch
You can probably define a rule like use this audio device if File Type=DTS

Frans

• Recent member

That's pretty good to separate out DTS from devices that explode when I try to play it!
Pages: [1]   Go Up