INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Migrating to New Media Server  (Read 1240 times)

dbalkunjr

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
Migrating to New Media Server
« on: February 02, 2015, 06:33:44 pm »

I am getting a new Media Server/HTPC to take over for my old HTPC/Drobo.  Both machines are running Windows 7.  I will be using Flexraid for storage in lieu of the Drobo I am currently running.  I will be copying all our media over to the new machine.  Can I do a library restore off of my old machine if I am using the same drive letter designations?  If not what is the best workflow to avoid losing all play stats etc.

I also run an M-Audio soundcard that will also be used in the new Server to supply audio to the 5 other audio zones in my home.  If I use the same outputs of the card to supply audio the same as the old machine then will a library restore also bring back all my settings for sound output? 

If there are any tips on doing a move like this to ensure a smooth transition I would appreciate any feedback.  I built my old machine almost six years ago and at that time I was only using MC for Video to one zone and had only a small fraction of the amount of media and configuration that I have today.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
Re: Migrating to New Media Server
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2015, 08:18:57 pm »

Library backup and restore is the best option if you can replicate the driver letters/paths exactly.  My advice is to make sure to turn off auto-import before making the back up so that when you restore it auto-import is off (turn it off int he new instance too just in case before you restore the backup).  This will give you time to make sure that the transfer went well without anything happening behind the scenes.  If the assignments are wrong somehow you can try and use the "update database" subfunction of the "rename, move, copy" function to fix the filepaths without too much mischief.

If you elect to restore all settings when you restore the backup, you should get your audio output settings too.

The best advice I can offer is: don't eliminate your old working setup and media files before you have everything working correctly in the new setup, and make sure auto-import is off until you're confident you don't have tons of broken links everywhere or you'll wind up with either a million duplicates or a trashed library (ask me how I know).

Ferdi

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2015, 12:07:15 am »

Hi,  I'll do something similar next week, but won't be able to replicate folder paths.
During the process of setting up an Id, I plan to move my PC's JRiver Library Files (and of course my media files) to my NAS.
Will 'restore' work in this scenario? Reading your answer, mwillems, makes me doubt. Is there any other way?

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2015, 07:39:30 am »

I don't have an Id, but you should be able to restore a windows library backup on linux MC.  I'll try tonight and confirm, but my recollection is that it works.  Restoring a library will get you your settings and metadata, but because the filepaths are different, everything will be broken at first.

The way to fix it is to make sure that the file path is the same beyond a certain point, and then use the "rename, copy, move" library tool.  You'll want to select "update library location" instead of move or copy, and you'll want to use the find and replace function. Then you just fix the front part of the filepath.

So for example, if your music library is now at "C:\Users\Fre\My Music\..." and you'll be placing it in a linux filesystem "/home/Fre/Music/...", you'll want to use find and replace to replace all instances of "C:\Users\Fre\My Music\..." with "/home/Fre/Music/..." 

That should fix your library.  Make backups of everything along the way, and don't delete anything until you've got it working the way you want.

Ferdi

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2015, 08:40:13 am »

Thanks mwillems! My Id arrives on Monday. Not sure when I have time next week but I can't wait trying this!
I might take screenshits of what i do and summerize everything into a how to guide.
Pages: [1]   Go Up