INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The one thing I still use MMJB for  (Read 2478 times)

jleerigby

The one thing I still use MMJB for
« on: October 03, 2003, 05:01:17 am »

Yes - I have a confession to make.  I still use MMJB for one tagging function but it's so long that I did any serious tagging that I forgot to mention it.  I've just reinstalled my OS on a new HDD and really don't want to have to load MMJB.  So what do I use it for?

- Removing tags from newly imported files thereby completely emptying the library of any extraeneous data that exists in various tag fields.

Whilst there is a 'remove tags' function in MC it does not do the job properly as the library remembers all the tags and still displays them.  Even if I remove tags and then 'update library from tags' MC still remembers all the data that existed prior to the removal.  The only way I can get MC to forget is to delete the files from the library and then reimport them.

MMJBs remove tags function does the job nicely and gives me peace of mind that both the library and file tags are totally clean ready for me to add the tags that I want.

It would be good if the remove tags function in MC could be changed so it updates the library too.

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Farm Animal Stupid
Re: The one thing I still use MMJB for
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2003, 05:52:13 am »

You could just delete all of the information in the tags. It's not as quick as the "Remove Tags" option, but it would work. And you could get rid of that nasty MM.

jleerigby

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2003, 07:10:05 am »

Thanks Doof.  Yes it would work but like you say not as quick, in fact it would be very slow to look through all fields.

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2003, 07:15:29 am »

Just add all columns into your Recently Imported playlist. Then when you import new files, select all, right click on the first column and choose "Edit Selected Item", then just keep hitting Delete, Tab, Delete, Tab, etc. until you're at the end. It shouldn't take more than about 15-30 seconds, and they'll all be cleared.

Since you've selected all the files, you'll only have to do this for the first file in the list, and all the others will automatically be cleared as well.

ashawley

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2003, 07:32:07 am »

Or, just get a simple small tag editing program like id3-tagit (www.id3-tagit.de).  It's free and has a one-button delete id3v1 and delete id3v2 option.

Then you don't have all that other MMJB garbage.

Plus, it's free.

Adam

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2003, 07:37:10 am »

Remove tags
Remove from the library
Reimport

Should go pretty fast.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2003, 07:56:24 am »

Why doesn't Update Library from Tags work as expected, though? Bug?

jleerigby

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2003, 09:38:38 am »

Or, just get a simple small tag editing program like id3-tagit (www.id3-tagit.de).  It's free and has a one-button delete id3v1 and delete id3v2 option.

Then you don't have all that other MMJB garbage.

Plus, it's free.

Adam

Thanks Adam.  That sounds good.  Downloading it now.

I'm still holding out hope that Matt will change MC.  There seems little point in a remove all tags option if you have to delete and reimport the tracks to get it to work.

Kurt Young

• Tastes like crab, talks like people.
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2003, 11:01:53 am »

id3-tagit is a fantastic tool and what i would have suggested, had adam-sama not beaten me to it.

:D
 mjextman.exe /ipodsync

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2003, 11:43:58 am »

Some fields are never stored in tags by default (play count, etc.)  So when updating from tags, if the tag returns "i dunno", we keep the existing value for those cases.

Maybe this could be an option somehow.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

jleerigby

« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2003, 03:52:57 pm »

Some fields are never stored in tags by default (play count, etc.)  So when updating from tags, if the tag returns "i dunno", we keep the existing value for those cases.

Maybe this could be an option somehow.

Thanks for clarifying this Matt.  I can see the dilema now.  I'm not going to do a Nila and ask for an option - I think we have enough of those (nila don't get mad I love you really).   At this point I'm remembering that post by Doof a couple of months ago listing all Nila's requests for option settings  ;D.

I don't know how it's coded but maybe you could make a change so that when removing tags from the library you make reference to the list of 'fields that are never stored in tags by default' and keep those whilst deleting all the other stuff.  The alternative, and I think it would be better than what we have now, would be to ditch ALL tags in the library where the 'Update tags when file info changes' setting is turned on and user selects remove all tags.

Which ever way it goes I think it's fair to point out that currently the 'remove all tags' function does not really do the job it suggests it will do.  It's only any value if you intend to subsequently delete the files from MC's library.

Kurt Young

• Tastes like crab, talks like people.
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2003, 09:39:23 pm »

Speaking back to the subject, I have mmjb 8.1 installed on my system.  I use it for the radio.  Heck, I got a serial number for it with my iPod, I may as well use it, eh?  I don't subscribe, but so far I'm getting what I want from it for free.  Excellent stations (thus far) and great quality.  I'd love radio this good and this easy in MC.  DVD playback first, though, hehe.

Course, I had to de-option a lot of things in it.  Keep your hands offa my file associations, mmjb.  Stay outta my system tray, too.

Oh, and in case Adam or Chris or Steve sees this, I'll answer in advance.  No, I don't have their iPod plugin installed.  ;)
 mjextman.exe /ipodsync

zevele10

« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2003, 10:59:34 am »

Keep cool !!!

Look like you are in crusade with MC9 in hand instead of a Coran.

MusicMatch is a good average jukebox
With a sound not so good and a definition of 'large library" starting a +5000 songs [ and i'am nice telling 5000 ..]
Once you set it as you want it would not change the settings 'in your back' and try to rule your computer as some other programs ..[ did i say real?..]

SuperTags is the best program in his field- and ,yes, 'rename files' is very convenient ,easy and fast.
I got a free trial of they radio.It was quitte nice at a very cheap price.
If working in an office outside home i may had take the subsciption.

I do think that there is room on each computer for more than MC, if people want it.

There is no need to burn ANY OTHER program to love MC.
As it is almost always the case here.

Listening to 'We don't need digital talibans'

Pages: [1]   Go Up