INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Use an expression for renaming pictures  (Read 923 times)

pgrisham

• World Citizen
  • Change this by choosing profile
Use an expression for renaming pictures
« on: March 21, 2015, 10:35:35 am »

I just realized that my camera is resetting filenames every day, so now I have dozens of img_001, img_002, etc. I was looking for a solution online and realized MC could probably do this now!

What I need is a method that would let me rename my images with the date taken tag (including time, I guess, to make each unique) plus the camera model number. That way I could be greedy and just institute a permanent naming system that would account for different cameras as well. ;D I know I can sort by any tag within MC, but I use Windows explorer for certain things, and it would solve my problem of files with the same name.

I feel like this would not be too hard, once I thought about what MC is capable of. Any takers?

BernhardS

• World Citizen
Re: Use an expression for renaming pictures
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2015, 10:57:37 am »

A simple way is to use the Rename, Move & Copy Files Tool. Set as Filename Rule: formatdate(%Y-%d-%m-%H-%M-%S)-[Camera]. Choose the delimiters to your preferences.
I will explain that whenever I want a thing, and Mrs. McWilliams wants another thing, and we decide upon the thing that Mrs. McWilliams wants—as we always do—she calls that a compromise

THE McWILLIAMSES AND THE BURGLAR ALARM  (Mark Twain)

pgrisham

• World Citizen
  • Change this by choosing profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2015, 10:22:12 pm »

Wow. That was unbelievably easy. Kudos to you (and JRiver, of course!). In all of 5 minutes I renamed 8 years of digital camera pics and fixed my naming woes. (And I backed them up before I started, just in case I really messed things up. ;)

Arindelle

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2015, 02:53:30 am »

(And I backed them up before I started, just in case I really messed things up. ;)
good on ya' ! :) Lots of people forget to do this on major retags. Always run a manual library backup and always have a physical backup (at least one) to be sure. If ctrl+z isn't enough, the restore library command takes seconds. The automatic library backup could be every two days or so
Pages: [1]   Go Up