INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: JRiver Multichannel-convolution and output does not work  (Read 3672 times)

mrmusic96548

• Recent member
JRiver Multichannel-convolution and output does not work
« on: March 31, 2015, 03:14:50 am »

Hello everybody, first sorry for my bad english. I was very pleased to hear that JRiver work so well in Linux :) so i switched from JRiver Windows to Linux and i can happily announce that everything works quite well.

But there is one thing: i am using a RME Fireface UCX in Linux, which has 8 (or more, don't know...) channels to output and i can use alle channels. I can see these channels, when i use the jack audioserver. The jack audioserver uses the alsa device.

So if i'm using the same alsa device in JRiver, JRiver outputs only 2 channels. I configured same settings as in windows. (Output 4 Channels, no mixing, then Convolver-config-files from 2 to 4 channels because of my active speakers). Everytime when playback starts, JRiver configures back to 2 channels output with JRSS. So what should i do?

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
Re: JRiver Multichannel-convolution and output does not work
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2015, 09:43:38 am »

Hello everybody, first sorry for my bad english. I was very pleased to hear that JRiver work so well in Linux :) so i switched from JRiver Windows to Linux and i can happily announce that everything works quite well.

But there is one thing: i am using a RME Fireface UCX in Linux, which has 8 (or more, don't know...) channels to output and i can use alle channels. I can see these channels, when i use the jack audioserver. The jack audioserver uses the alsa device.

So if i'm using the same alsa device in JRiver, JRiver outputs only 2 channels. I configured same settings as in windows. (Output 4 Channels, no mixing, then Convolver-config-files from 2 to 4 channels because of my active speakers). Everytime when playback starts, JRiver configures back to 2 channels output with JRSS. So what should i do?

Some devices act a little funny when you try to open them as a 4-channel interface, especially in Linux.  Things to try:

1) Pick a different output device in JRiver, specifically, try one of the hardware devices with "surround" in the description, like "hw:surround5.1," etc.
2) Try setting channel output to 5.1 instead of 4-channel, just to test.

If you can get 5.1 working, you'll have more than enough channels for your active system.

mrmusic96548

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2015, 12:41:29 pm »

Thank you for your reply, i've tested your suggestions. The only way is works ok is to use "plughw:". With plughw i have the same performances as with jack, which uses "hw". But somebody at JRiver should look at this issue, because it would be better that one can use hw.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2015, 12:53:38 pm »

Thank you for your reply, I've tested your suggestions. The only way it works ok is to use "plughw:". With plughw i have the same performances as with jack, which uses "hw". But somebody at JRiver should look at this issue, because it would be better that one can use hw.
plughw: means that the ALSA will use plugins with the hardware device.
We always recommend using the hardware device, not plugins. Plugins for example support re-sampling and we don't want ALSA doing that.
It would be somewhat odd if your device required plugin support to do multichannel.
We don't use jack and it's possible that it's causing the trouble with opening the hardware device in multichannel mode.

mrmusic96548

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2015, 01:06:29 pm »

Hello :) Very glad to hear those words about plugins and Alsa. This is my suggestion too (don't want to use plughw)

As already said i am using a professional studio interface (RME Fireface UCX) as a dac, which has 18 output channels. It uses the USB 2.0 Audio, so it doesn't need any drivers. Jack is a Audioserver such as pulse. I've testet on a fresh Ubuntu Mate with and without Jack, same results. When jack is started, there is no option for other programs to access the device. So there is no point for co-existence! When i start the Mediacenter, no jack is running, its a clean Ubuntu Mate installation with first JRiver installed.

Hope you get the point, i said that i use jack for being sure that my device works clean with "hw" in linux. I've made a Screenshot with using "hw:" and my routing with 18 output channels. If i use hw in JRiver, then theres the problem described in first post. If you need sth else or there are any questions, ask :)

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2015, 02:10:59 pm »

What are the devices shown in MC's audio configuration? I've never actually seen hw: show up as a device.

mrmusic96548

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2015, 04:31:01 am »

Sorry for this misunderstanding. In JRiver are the same devices shown as in other programs using sound cards. So i use "plughw:UCX23654049", but the problem is with "hw:UCX23654049". As you can see this is the same device i used in jack. IMHO the problem is not in scanning audio devices, because the list of audio devices in JRiver is correct.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2015, 04:36:03 pm »

Sorry for this misunderstanding. In JRiver are the same devices shown as in other programs using sound cards. So i use "plughw:UCX23654049", but the problem is with "hw:UCX23654049". As you can see this is the same device i used in jack. IMHO the problem is not in scanning audio devices, because the list of audio devices in JRiver is correct.
\
It could be that your multichannel output only works with a particular output format.
The default output format is AUTO which starts with 32 bit float and works it's way down.
Try specifying the output format (in the Audio settings under Device).
Pages: [1]   Go Up