INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Should I delete MC 20 and start with a fresh install?  (Read 2427 times)

Popspin

• Recent member
Should I delete MC 20 and start with a fresh install?
« on: July 14, 2015, 01:56:54 pm »

Hi;
Juts a couple days left in my trial period.  I like the product and will be joining the fold.  But before I do that I need to resolve a problem that I caused.
I want MC to stream my NAS stored music.  Somehow I allowed MC to create its own library.  Most songs appear 4 times in the MC library.  I remember this problem kept me from moving forward with MC when I demoed it last year.
When I access my NAS drive through Files it works fine. 
How do I eliminate the MC libraries so MC reads default from my NAS?  Should I delete MC from my PC and start again?  And when I do that, instuct MC to not create libraries? 
Or, is there a way to delelte MC libraries so they disapear?
I appreciate your help!
Thanks,
popspin

adamt

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Should I delete MC 20 and start with a fresh install?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2015, 02:01:13 pm »

Here is some information on libraries that might help :

http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Library
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Library_Manager

You can delete and restore Libraries from the Library Manager.
Adam Thompson, JRiver

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2015, 04:00:51 pm »

The term Library is specific when talking about MC.  The Library is the collection of files and metadata about the files.  MC needs a Library to show you your music (and video and images) in different views and to allow you to search them.

When you go to Artists or Albums, is that where you see 4 copies of everything?

In the left Navigation Pane, try going to Audio > Panes.  Or Audio > Files.  From there, narrow down the file list by typing a search into the box in the far upper right.  Do you see duplicates?  If so, look at the Pane on the bottom with all of the details.  Scroll to the right and look at the file names for some of the duplicates.  You *probably* have several drives or top level folders imported with duplicate songs.  Maybe a main folder and a backup folder?  Or a folder on your local drive and a folder on your NAS?

Once you get that narrowed down, figure out which one you want to keep (which drive or folder I mean).  Then you can remove the folder(s) or drive(s) from Auto Import.  Finally, you can remove the duplicates from MC.

We can give you details on how to do the above removals.  I just want to make sure that all of my assumptions and guesses are correct or close before I start typing up more instructions.

Brian.

Popspin

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2015, 03:55:11 pm »

Hi;
I get multiple entries for songs on an album.  Maybe 2-4 files for the same song.  Some are my original AIFF, some of the duplicate4s are MP4 and AIFF.
Here is an example:

Name   Artist   Album   Rating   Genre   Track #   Duration   Bitrate   File Type   Date   Filename
I Love Being Here With You   Diana Krall   Live In Paris   ? stars   Jazz   1   5:12   1411   aif   2002   C:\Users\Bob\Music\iTunes\iTunes Music\Diana Krall\Live In Paris\01 I Love Being Here With You.aif
I Love Being Here With You   Diana Krall   Live In Paris   ? stars   Jazz   1   5:12   967   m4a   2002   C:\Users\Bob\Music\iTunes\iTunes Music\Diana Krall\Live In Paris\01 I Love Being Here With You.m4a
I Love Being Here With You   Diana Krall   Live in Paris   4   Vocal   1   5:12   1411   aif   2002   M:\Diana Krall\Live in Paris\01 Diana Krall - I Love Being Here With You.aif
Let's Fall In Love   Diana Krall   Live In Paris   ? stars   Jazz   2   4:34   1411   aif   2002   C:\Users\Bob\Music\iTunes\iTunes Music\Diana Krall\Live In Paris\02 Let's Fall In Love.aif
Let's Fall In Love   Diana Krall   Live In Paris   ? stars   Jazz   2   4:34   820   m4a   2002   C:\Users\Bob\Music\iTunes\iTunes Music\Diana Krall\Live In Paris\02 Let's Fall In Love.m4a
Let's Fall in Love   Diana Krall   Live in Paris   4   Vocal   2   4:34   1411   aif   2002   M:\Diana Krall\Live in Paris\02 Diana Krall - Let's Fall in Love.aif

If I work under Files and choose my "M" drive (NAS music drive), I get what's on the NAS, not the multiples I get in the MC library.  I just want to work from my NAS.  Can I eliminate the library and still have MC function?
Thanks!!
popspin

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2015, 05:03:23 pm »

Let's start with what you've got going on.  It seems to me that you have 2 copies of some AIF files, and one copy of an identical song as an M4A.  But what you really want is just the AIF files that are on the M: Drive.  If that's true, it's pretty easy to remove everything else and just have the library contain M: files only.

The real power of JRiver MC is in it's database.  The Library is (sorta kinda) the database.  If you ignore the Library, you're ignoring 90% of the power of MC.  I highly advise that you use it.

That being said, I am told that you can browse purely by file in MC and not use the Library at all.  I don't use the Windows version of MC and I don't have that feature, so I can't tell you how to do it or what the considerations are.  Someone else surely can.

To clean your library up so it only shows M: files, it's two major steps.

A.  Tell MC to not auto import from anywhere except the folder(s) on the M: drive you want imported.
  1.  Tools > Options > Library & Folders > Configure Auto Import
  2.  In the dialog that comes up remove all drives and folders that you don't want to use in MC.  That will keep it from looking there for any new files.

B.  Remove all of the files from MC from locations other than M: .
  1.  Go to a view where you can easily see the file names.  I like Audio > Files .
  2.  Look in the pane at the bottom, on the right side for the file name.  You may have to scroll to the right.  You should see a mixture of files from all of your drive locations.  Take note of the number of files displayed at the very bottom.
  3.  In the search box up at the top, type:  M:
  4.  Make sure you now see all of your files from M: and note the number of files.  Should be smaller than the last number you saw.
  5.  Now in search just add a minus sign.  Like this:  -M:
  6.  You should now see everything *except* for files on the M: drive.
  7.  Select all the files down below.  Just click any file then go to Edit > Select All
  8.  Press delete to remove the files.
  9.  In the dialog that comes up, take the first option:  Remove from Media Library Only.  That way it won't touch the files.  They will still be on your disk(s).  Just removed from the Library.
  10.  Erase the search term in the search box.  All of your files from M: should show up and nothing else.

That should do it.  You should probably make a Library Backup before you start.  Just in case.  File > Library > Back Up Library...

Good luck and let us know if we can help any further.

Brian.
Pages: [1]   Go Up