INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ripping to 2 hard drives  (Read 2835 times)

fredster

• Recent member
Ripping to 2 hard drives
« on: January 07, 2015, 09:29:28 am »

I have looked around the forum for posts on this subject without joy.

Is it possible to connect 2 external hard drives under different drive letters but rip all music to both, thereby creating a clone of all music without the need for periodically copying the files manually for safety backup ?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Ripping to 2 hard drives
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2015, 09:58:10 am »

Media Center can't rip to two locations at once.  You can do one at a time, or you can manually copy the files.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

fredster

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2015, 10:00:35 am »

ok many thanks Matt.    Shame ....... 

jtwrace

• Galactic Citizen
  • "Science is not a democracy"-Earl Geddes, Ph.D.
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2015, 08:46:15 pm »

ok many thanks Matt.    Shame ....... 

The other option is that you can schedule a backup using software that will update the other drive every night.  Easily done no matter what platform you use. 
W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

My podcast:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXMw_bZWBMtRWNJQfTJ38kA/videos

newsposter

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2015, 10:05:17 pm »

Or, you could rip to a Raid 1 disk set (assuming a commonly used open-format disk/filesystem), break the disk set, and pull one of the drives for safekeeping.

Doing split-mirror backups in real-time like this is widely accepted as valid technique.

DeepPurple23

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2015, 11:25:06 am »

On thing that I do and it's fairly easy.  I rip the DVD/Blu-Ray to an external drive.  Then I use a program call Allway Sync to keep the two drives current.  You have many options on how to set up the syncing, i.e. automatic, timed intervals, manual, etc.  I find it much easier than any other method.

Good luck.

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2015, 12:25:51 am »

dBpoweramp's Multi-Encoder will do this.
It also lets you encode to multiple formats at the same time, rather than requiring you to create identical copies.

I find this very useful if you wanted to rip to FLAC for home listening and MP3 for portable use at the same time for example.

Or, you could rip to a Raid 1 disk set (assuming a commonly used open-format disk/filesystem), break the disk set, and pull one of the drives for safekeeping.

Doing split-mirror backups in real-time like this is widely accepted as valid technique.
RAID should never be used as a backup system.
RAID was designed for keeping servers online when a drive fails, not creating backups.

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2015, 09:45:27 am »

RAID should never be used as a backup system.
RAID was designed for keeping servers online when a drive fails, not creating backups.

I think he's talking just using RAID-1 as a mirror method and then breaking the set by removing one of the drives.  That would probably be a functioning backup method (depending, of course, on your raid implementation), but setting up a raid pool just to break it seems way more labor intensive than just using something like rsync or winscp (much less some of the 1-click commercial backup software out there).  

RussellS

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2015, 07:02:24 am »

I use some backup software called SyncBackPro ( http://www.2brightsparks.com/ ) and just do a scheduled backup twice a week at 3am. There is also a free version that would probably suffice but I can't remember what the limitations are. You can backup across the network or just to local storage.

It really is 'set it and forget it'.
Pages: [1]   Go Up