INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Artist playlists missing some songs? Song under Various Artists?  (Read 1243 times)

Kremlar

• Recent member

I've been using JRiver for quite a while, but not overly familiar with library management - so please forgive my ignorance if this is an easy one.

I notice that some of my songs, although the artist tag looks correct, are not showing under the correct artist when looking under Audio\Artists\"Artist Name".  I find that the song is listed under the artist called "Various Artists" and it seems like it's because the track is tagged under a various artist album, like "80's music" or whatever.

What is the most efficient way to fix this so that the track will be under the artist name rather than various artists?  I tried correcting by changing the album on one track to the actual artist album but the track is still not listed under the actual artist name.

Hope this makes sense!  Any advice appreciated.

Thanks

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe

Kremlar

• Recent member
Re: Artist playlists missing some songs? Song under Various Artists?
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2015, 04:27:41 pm »

Thanks for the link... unfortunately I'm still a bit lost..

Shouldn't the individual Artist field trump the Album Artist field?  Is it normal to not see the track under the individual Artist?

If I choose to play songs by Artist, I would expect to hear all tracks by that artist irregardless of whether the track is on an album containing tracks from various artists.

Or I am I missing something?

Kremlar

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2015, 06:13:44 am »

Anyone have any suggestions?  Am I misunderstanding something or when playing by Artist does it view by Album Artist and not Track Artist?  Any way to change?

newHAPPYuser2015

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2015, 06:32:38 am »

I think Audio>Artists always lists album artists. So if you want to play all songs by a particular artist you should probably create a smartlist.

Kremlar

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2015, 07:33:25 am »

Thanks for the tip, but that's a lot of smartlists for me!

Not sure where I might suggest a change/feature addition but to me viewing by artist should show by track artist, but perhaps I am in the minority.

ferday

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2015, 08:14:04 am »

Artists will show artist

The tag should read album artist (auto) = various artist, and the artist tag should read the artist name.  Sounds like you have some tagging work if that's the case

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2015, 10:29:56 am »

Thanks for the tip, but that's a lot of smartlists for me!

Not sure where I might suggest a change/feature addition but to me viewing by artist should show by track artist, but perhaps I am in the minority.

Ferday is right. You have tagging issues, but it won't be difficult to fix or you can change your views to match your existing tagging scheme.

Make sure to read the link I posted. Everything that you need to know is there but it sounds like you didn't read it at all.

Kremlar

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2015, 01:02:20 pm »

Hi -

Thanks for the replies.  I did read the link, but perhaps didn't grasp everything in there.  I think the piece I missed is that I can customize my views which I didn't realize. 

So, by default it looks like the JRiver View called "Artists" is actually showing the Category "Album Artists  (Auto)".  I edited the view to show the actual "Artist" Category instead.

I updated the tags of the tracks I had known issues with already to move them away from compilation albums so I can't tell off-hand if this resolves my issue, but I suspect it will.  I will need to test further.

Thanks
Pages: [1]   Go Up