INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: sound volume problems  (Read 3170 times)

john11

• Recent member
sound volume problems
« on: June 13, 2015, 02:13:06 am »

I installed j river trial into my laptop ( hp elite book 8570p windows 64 bit ultimate ) and am fairly happy, the sound and picture quality seem to be a slightly behind powerdvd and windvd.

When i play media on my laptop j river works fine,

i plugged my amp into my laptop's usb output in order to raise the sound quality but found
i have lost all control over j rivers's volume control.

The volume slider in j river makes no difference and the windows volume control does not effect the sound volume
at all. Why is this happening, all my other media players allow me to control the volume to an external amp.

I clicked on player > audio device, and found the amp listed but there was no sound.

Then under device settings i checked allow exclusive access, and the sound came on but it was at full blast and will not budge from this.

Can you please advise.

Thank you. John.

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: sound volume problems
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2015, 10:36:07 am »

I think MC defaults to System Volume or some similar setting.  With some external DACs (your amp must contain a DAC too since it has a USB input) this type of volume control doesn't work.  Luckily you can use MC's "internal volume" setting instead.  Go to:

Tools > Options > Audio > Volume > Volume Mode

and select "Internal Volume".

That should allow you to control the volume directly from MC no matter what type of DAC or sound card you are connected to.

Brian.

john11

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2015, 02:58:20 am »

Hi. Thanks for the reply, much appreciated.

I will try that today.

Concerning the two parametric eqs, how many frequencies can be entered into each for adjustment.

Thank you

blgentry

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2015, 08:29:06 am »

I'm not sure there's a limit on the parametric eqs.  I had something like 10 or 12 entered into one of them at one time.  I think there are two so you can separate functionality.  For example, using one of them to do frequency response correction and using the other to do crossover.  I think they both cover all the same functions.  It's just two containers for convenience and separation.

Brian.

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2015, 11:44:47 am »

I'm not sure there's a limit on the parametric eqs.  I had something like 10 or 12 entered into one of them at one time.  

Correct; there is no practical limit to the number of parametric EQ filters but your CPU.  I routinely run 80+ filters. I've run more than 200 on certain occasions.  This is one of the critical advantages of using JRiver for EQ instead of a hardware processor.

I think there are two so you can separate functionality.  For example, using one of them to do frequency response correction and using the other to do crossover.  I think they both cover all the same functions.  It's just two containers for convenience and separation.

Also correct; the main advantage of having two is so you can do different processing in front of and after other modules in the signal chain.  So if you're using convolution or room correction (or an add in VST), you can have some filters "in front" and some filters afterward.  This is crucial, for example, if you're doing software crossovers and want to use Room Correction for bass management.  

You can also use the two PEQs for grouping and convenience, but the main reason for having two is so you can perform processes at two different stages in the signal chain.

john11

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2015, 07:40:18 pm »

Thanks for the replies, much appreciated.

One final point can jriver downmix dts-hd-ma and dolby truhd from blurays
and also dolby digital 5.1 from dvds

into stereo. I have a two channel set up at the moment and am very much interested in this feature

Thank you.
John.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2015, 08:15:06 pm »

Yes. Enable JRSS Mixing and set the Channels setting appropriately in the Output Format DSP.

MC can decode both TrueHD and DTS-HD MA, and JRSS will downmix it.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

john11

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2015, 02:31:05 am »

Hi. Thanks for the replies, much appreciated

1. I am downmixing the dts hd ma audio from blurays into stereo as i have a stereo set up.

I think that spdif/ coaxial does not have the bandwidth to pass dts hd ma as the bitrate is too high,

should I really be using hdmi as the bandwidth is greater, is this true for the downmixed dts hd ma i am using?

2. Also what are the optimal q settings within the parametric eq?

At default it is set to 1 but i was told this boosts everything for a few thousand hertz would increasing the q boost a narrower

bandwidth of sounds

3. Is there significant sound quality loss when downmixing dts hd ma If i dump the stereo amp and move to a multichannel amp

would this give better sound quality or just more surround options, a different kind of sound.

Thank you. John.

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2015, 08:11:53 am »

2. Also what are the optimal q settings within the parametric eq?

At default it is set to 1 but i was told this boosts everything for a few thousand hertz would increasing the q boost a narrower

bandwidth of sounds

This question can't be answered in the abstract, there is no "optimal" Q.

Increasing Q narrows the frequency band affected.  Decreasing Q increases the frequency band affected.  The effect is best expressed in octaves not in Hertz (a 1 q parametric filter at 20Hz will not extend for "a few thousand hertz" but it will affect several octaves; however a 1q parametric filter at 10KHz will affect many thousands of Hz, but the exact same number of octaves as the 20 Hz filter). 

Only you know what you're trying to achieve, so the "optimal" Q is the Q that delivers the boost you want over the range you want. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up