INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Imported song has a rating  (Read 2057 times)

newHAPPYuser2015

• World Citizen
Imported song has a rating
« on: April 09, 2015, 02:39:56 pm »

Sometimes a newly imported song gets assigned 1 star rating

Hendrik

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2015, 03:54:44 pm »

Sometimes a newly imported song gets assigned 1 star rating

The song may have contained a rating metadata before MC gets to it, then MC will read and import that data.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

newHAPPYuser2015

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2015, 04:10:45 pm »

The song may have contained a rating metadata before MC gets to it, then MC will read and import that data.

First I downloaded the song from the cloud to iTunes library. It didn't have a rating there. Then I copied the file to JMC music folder and it got assigned 1 star rating.

I also remembered that when I first setup JMC library a bunch of songs got assigned 1 star rating as well. Anyway, iTunes stores its' ratings in XML file(or iTunes database file? doesn't matter) as far as I know and doesn't write rating data to a file.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Imported song has a rating
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2015, 04:58:50 pm »

I think Hendrik is correct on this.

newHAPPYuser2015

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2015, 05:04:16 pm »

I think Hendrik is correct on this.

Please explain. How can a song have a rating if I never rated it?

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2015, 05:08:58 pm »

I've seen them come from Amazon's MP3 store with Ratings in the ID3 tags, though usually the source is... Less than legitimate.  MC reads ratings in a variety of tagging formats, however, not just those used by iTunes (which does not use the "standard" ID3 Rating field for ratings tags -- the standard is something of a mess).

So, it is possible that file was tagged with a Rating in another application (not iTunes, in a format iTunes doesn't use) and those ratings are coming through.  iTunes wouldn't show them because it doesn't read them, but a full-fledged tagging application like MP3Tag would almost certainly.

If you don't ever want it to happen, add a Tag On Import rule to always clear the [Rating] field.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

Arindelle

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2015, 05:09:54 pm »

because someone else rated it that way ... most metadata you get from the web is from users you know (thats why its often bad or just plain wrong)

newHAPPYuser2015

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2015, 05:17:08 pm »

All the songs that got rated 1 star came from iTunes store. Well, if not all then the absolute majority for sure. And the last one came from iTunes store - there is no questioning that.

So how could a song coming straight from iTunes store have gotten tagged in another application?

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2015, 05:18:40 pm »

Dunno.  I suppose it is possible that they got uploaded to the iTunes store that way?  Like I said, I have absolutely seen this with the Amazon MP3 store.  Usually they're rated 5-stars (sneaky little buggers) and not 1-star, but you know, people are bad at their jobs sometimes.

Unless you have a tag on import rule going crazy, or are doing online metadata lookup after the fact for the files (MC doesn't do this automatically for audio files you import) then I dunno.

Post an example file.

newHAPPYuser2015

• World Citizen
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2015, 05:26:44 pm »

Post an example file.

How do I do this? Send an email somewhere or attach to a post?

Unless you have a tag on import rule going crazy, or are doing online metadata lookup after the fact for the files (MC doesn't do this automatically for audio files you import) then I dunno.

Where is this setting located?

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2015, 06:10:05 pm »

The files will be too big to attach directly to a post.  I'd use WikiSend or Dropbox or whatever to make a link to it.

Where is this setting located?

It isn't a setting, it is a tool.  Like I said, it doesn't do it automatically.  You can select files and right-click > Library Tools > Lookup Track Info from Online Database if you want, and it'll pull in additional metadata from the database of other files MC users have previously submitted (based on the file fingerprint).  I'd assume that it strips out Rating, since that's pretty inherently personal, but I don't really know for sure.

In any case, you'd have had to do it manually.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2015, 06:22:43 pm »

I just tested the Track Lookup on a bunch of files and none of them got ratings, so I suspect I was right and this is (properly) stripped out.

The Ratings are almost certainly somehow embedded in the ID3 tags.  That or you previously imported them into MC, added ratings (accidentally perhaps), removed them and then re-imported them.

dmitry2015

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2015, 07:46:42 pm »

That song is tagged with "Rating: 1".
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2015, 12:12:32 am »

As I mentioned above, if this is driving you crazy, you can easily override any existing [Rating] tag using Tag On Import rules. You actually inspired me to finally write up a wiki article for this useful feature, and I included this particular usage in the Useful Examples section at the bottom. Check it out:
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Tag_on_Import

Arindelle

« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2015, 01:33:04 am »

As I mentioned above, if this is driving you crazy, you can easily override any existing [Rating] tag using Tag On Import rules. You actually inspired me to finally write up a wiki article for this useful feature, and I included this particular usage in the Useful Examples section at the bottom. Check it out:
nice job Glynor!!

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2015, 07:42:32 am »

Thanks for doing that, glynor.

William-NM

• World Citizen
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2015, 06:19:39 pm »

Great article, Glynor. By the authority not vested in me, I award you two Gold Stars and a feature request of your choice. (hey, I didn't say they'd IMPLEMENT it...)

ABBA? Really?? I had Matt pegged as a Sinatra kind of guy. Ya' just never know, do ya??
Pages: [1]   Go Up