INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Feature suggestion for Car Radio buttons in Playing Now  (Read 945 times)

newHAPPYuser2015

• World Citizen
Feature suggestion for Car Radio buttons in Playing Now
« on: April 08, 2015, 11:06:41 am »

1) Right now there are 2 options:
- either create a static frozen in time snapshot of a smartlist
- or use a play doctor which plays 100 similar songs

I think it would be good if car radio buttons respected "last played is not in the last..."(or other variations) rule in a smartlist. In other words I think it would be nice if it was possible to create a direct link to a smartlist.

2) Make the buttons behave more like tabs in Firefox browser: if you open to much pages the tabs panel becomes scrollable and doesn't squeeze tabs like Google Chrome, for example. This way we could remove the limit on the number of buttons. It is capped at 12 now, right?

Also: add the ability to swap buttons

3) Also make them (buttons) behave more like playlists:
-one click to select button/playlist
-two clicks to start playback
-right click to access menu options: edit smartlist, for example, among others

To put it in one sentence: Merge existing car radio buttons functionality and playlists functionality and add something new like "2)"

I believe with these additions Playing Now can become primary view for people who extensively use smartlists and regular playlists and operate primarily within Playlists section of the tree.

Of course I have no idea how feasible implementation of these suggestions is or if they even sound interesting enough to give a darn about ;D Anyway I thought I would throw this in here

Scotto

Re: Feature suggestion for Car Radio buttons in Playing Now
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2015, 04:12:20 pm »

Car Radio supports smart lists. Copy a smart list to the Car Radio tree and rename it. (eg. "04. Jazz"). I too would like to see more buttons. A second row would be optimal for my usage case.

William-NM

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2015, 07:41:13 pm »

I just wanted to agree that the "car radio buttons" is a useful paradigm that allows fast access to some current favorites, and that it's worthy of development. The playlists are really powerful, but I'd like a more polished interface of something like configurable buttons or tabs, just something more sleek than digging through text filenames. (I mainly use the standard interface because I always seem to be tagging and organizing, and it just seems like whenever I go into theater mode, I have to drop back into standard mode to do something or other...)

I've taken to creating 'view' schemes like 'New Albums- This Week', 'New Albums- This Month', 'Current Rotation', 'Core: Classic Rock', etc. (in 3D wall view) & that helps a lot for albums, but it sure would be fun to have a beautiful front end for the playlists, too.

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2015, 03:49:34 am »

I do find the Car Radio buttons very useful, and there are a couple of changes I'd like to see with them as well.

Firstly, I'd like the number of them to be flexible.
Reduce the minimum from 12 to maybe something like 6, but support as many buttons as you have playlists in the "Car Radio" category.
So if I have 8 playlists, it would display 8 buttons instead of 12.
Or it could display 14 if I have more than 12 items.

Currently, with it being fixed at 12, I have a number of buttons where the label is cut off, even though I do not use all 12 of them.
And I can certainly imagine why some people might want use than 12 too.
I'm not sure I like the idea of it becoming multi-line though. Scrolling might work I suppose, though it seems an inelegant solution.

And the other change I would like to see, if possible, is to either move the Car Radio buttons inside the Now Playing list, or at least stop them from disappearing when the Now Playing list is maximized.
When I hit the maximize button (highlighted in red) I'd like to see this:

Instead of the current behavior, which hides the Car Radio buttons:
Pages: [1]   Go Up