INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Web Radio via DLNA client Sony BDP s570  (Read 3120 times)

nestorquay

• Recent member
Web Radio via DLNA client Sony BDP s570
« on: April 14, 2015, 12:45:22 am »

Started with the internet radio tutorial here: http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/DLNA#Connected_Media_-_Streaming_Web_Radio_via_DLNA
Followed to the end.  The notes say I should see a rendering device or player in the Playing Now window. I do not.
I have not been able to get the Sony BDP s570 to play the internet radio stream.  I created 3 streams that appear in Audio > Connected Media > My Connected Media  and in Playlists > Internet Radio.  These 3 streams also appear on the Sony under Music > Playlists > Internet Radio as expected.  However when a stream is selected for play I get a full screen graphic (I think that's what it is) with a red background and something blue on the background and 3 vertically stacked icons on the left side of the screen and a playbar at the bottom.  The stream does not play and the playbar indicator dot does not move.  I have tried the Generic DLNA and Sony BD/TV DLNA Servers with the same result

All Audio files (flac) files appear on the Sony and play as expected.  They are set for PCM L16. 

I'm almost there so how do I get the streams to actually play.  They are all dressed up with no place to go!

What settings have I missed? How should the audio be set in DLNA server audio settings?

Thanks you so much

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Web Radio via DLNA client Sony BDP s570
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2015, 12:52:55 am »

MC is currently not able to push streams via UPnP. It is only able to push specific tracks. The reason is that streams have in "infinite" (open ended) file size and the UPnP file transfer mechanisms are not really suitable for that...
Author of Whitebear Digital Media Renderer Analyser - http://www.whitebear.ch/dmra.htm
Author of Whitebear - http://www.whitebear.ch/mediaserver.htm

nestorquay

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2015, 11:19:50 am »

Thanks for your reply.  I'm wondering why I got the idea one could stream Internet Radio via DLNA. I notice JamCast is accomplishing this through the back door. They grab what ever is on the sound card and send it to the DLNA renderer as an MP3.  So play an Internet Radio station on the PC and it can be played simultaneously on the DLNA renderer (Sony BDP S570 in my case).  I assume their stream also must  be dimensionless as well? Yet it streams. It appears Jamcast is acting as the server and the DLNA device is acting as the client for a dimensionless stream.  Is that what you say DLNA is not spec'd to do?
Thanks

ferday

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2015, 11:58:44 am »

i play shoutcast and soma over DLNA all the time (pull not push).  for ease of locating i made a "playlist" for each desired stream and just play the playlist from my DLNA device (WDTV live)

nestorquay

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2015, 01:06:37 pm »

Am I "pushing" onto the DLNA client?  Seems like I've done exactly as you have.  I loaded 3 streaming urls from vtuner into a playlist called "Internet Radio".  These 3 urls play fine inside JRiver MC and in MediaMonkey as well.  They show up on the menu tree on the Sony BD, display some sort of red graphic background but they don't play and don't give an error.  I seems like I am "pulling" them from the JRiver server just as you have? Here's an example of a working stream as played in MC and MediaMonkey:  http://streaming.radionomy.com/1000ClassicalHits. How is this different from your stream?  The only difference I see is you are streaming to a WD and I'm streaming to a Sony BD?
Thanks for the reply.

ferday

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2015, 01:12:55 pm »

pulling means selecting the stream by using the DLNA device, pushing is using MC to play it to the device

your stream doesn't look any different from any of mine...the only difference i can see is that i usually use shoutcast and Soma which are "default" in MC...but they don't appear any different to me.  i'll try your stream when i have some time today and see if it works with my setup

i do know that i've had all sorts of DLNA issues with my Sony TV (which is why i switched over to a box)...it's possible that is the issue?

nestorquay

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2015, 03:04:37 pm »

So you think a WDTV would solve the problem?

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2015, 03:24:48 pm »

Following are the reasons why it is more likely to work pulling a radio stream via MC than pushing it from MC...

It looks like the renderer is actually pulling a playlist from MC (rather than a track), and that playlist itself contains one of more URLs of remote radio stream(s). So the renderer is probably dereferencing the playlist and pulling the internal radio stream direct from the remote server URL. (You might even be able to turn off MC at this point and the radio stream might even continue to play). It would depend very much on the individual renderer whether it has the capability to dereference playlists. (My DMRA tool would probably be able to tell you more about what your particular renderer can do...)

On the other hand, MC is not able to push playlists. It tries instead to dereference the playlist itself and push each track directly. And since it has no way of proxying the radio stream track, nor of handing off directly to the remote server, then it cannot push a remote URL from itself. (It would be a neat feature to consider adding though...)
Author of Whitebear Digital Media Renderer Analyser - http://www.whitebear.ch/dmra.htm
Author of Whitebear - http://www.whitebear.ch/mediaserver.htm

ferday

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2015, 03:29:19 pm »

So you think a WDTV would solve the problem?

LOL that's impossible to answer.  all i know is mine does work with the web radio stations that i use (primarily Soma and Shoutcast as mentioned)

AndrewFG is the uber-DLNA guru around here....you should try running his Whitebear tool, it will say a lot about your configuration and maybe help solve this one without spending money or time on a hardware solution...

nestorquay

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2015, 03:44:31 pm »

Thanks for the analyzer tip.  I'll give it a try.

nestorquay

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2015, 04:36:23 pm »

Im going to try this again from the top.  This tutorial provided in the wiki states without reservation that JRiver can stream web radio via DLNA: http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/DLNA#Connected_Media_-_Streaming_Web_Radio_via_DLNA. Regarding this tutorial, which way is the media flowing? Upon a second reading it seems the media is going from the Bravia TV to the player in MC?  Is that why I'm confuses as to why this won't work sending media from the MC server to the Sony BD?

Thanks
Pages: [1]   Go Up