INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Q: Autostacking, file names and media names  (Read 1390 times)

masterjoe

• World Citizen
Q: Autostacking, file names and media names
« on: April 16, 2015, 01:52:36 pm »

Currently I have a problem with automatically stacking files together which shall be stacked together.
I wave many multipart movies which have names that are not extracted correctly.

Autostack works on media names. But these names are extracted completely wrong for many too many of my files!

Example:
---------
The following files of a multipart video are in my library:
(1) The 2012 Enigma by David Wilcock Pt. 01.MP4
(2) The 2012 Enigma by David Wilcock Pt. 02.MP4
(3) The 2012 Enigma by David Wilcock Pt. 03.MP4
... (10 parts)

The names that are extracted from these files are:
(1) The
(2) The
(3) The

This must be a joke, right? Why does MC cut the names after "The" where the most significant part of the name is at its end?

---

So here are my questions:

1) How can the name extraction process be controlled so that the "Name" field will contain useful names without having to name everything by hand?
    Is there a way of extracting these names by scripts / functions / patterns etc. so that nothing like the example above can ever happen?

2) How does autostacking work at all?? I can't get it to build stacks that are usable. "Auto" for me should do most of the work!

Thanks.

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Q: Autostacking, file names and media names
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2015, 04:01:33 pm »

The problem with that specific example, is that MC's parsing engine is used to seeing movie titles with the format [Name] [Year], so therefore, it thinks that the 2012 is the year the movie was made. Thus the movie title must be "The"!

If all your files are named simply like you stated, you could use the Fill in Properties from filename feature. Tell MC that the format of the affected files is:

[name] Pt. [disc#]

This will automatically fill in the part under the Disc# tag.
The name of the movie parts will be The 2012 Enigma by David Wilcock. Having the proper title in the [name] field will allow MC to retrieve the movie information - description, etc. - with the Get Movie and TV info command.
If you just want to have the name of the movie be exactly the same as the filename, you can simply type
=[filename (name)]

In the [Name] column. You can select all the files like this, right click on any of the entries under [name] and type the above. It will change ALL the names to the filenames of each file. Maybe try a few before you do the whole lot.

masterjoe

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2015, 06:52:38 pm »

Okay, thanks for your reply and the suggestion. Will try it tomorrow.

Can the parsing engine be configured anywhere so that I can specify a custom parsing pattern which is used for EVERY import action?

It would be even better when you could define a regular expression with multiple formats so that ANY filename no matter how strange it might be can be detected.

Or just even better: you could define multiple (regex) patterns per metadata element so that each pattern is tested until the first one fits? And then this pattern extracts data from the file name and / or other properties which match the pattern for the meta data item for which this pattern has been defined. What do you think?

Please consider this as very useful improvement of the detection algorithm!

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2015, 07:56:57 pm »

You can automatically apply any tags in auto-import, including using expressions to extract data from other tags (ie. filenames).
If you wanted, you could shove full regular expressions in there - but the built-in expressions are not editable.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

glynor

• MC Beta Team
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/
Pages: [1]   Go Up