INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Import playlist?  (Read 1731 times)

bvm

• World Citizen
Import playlist?
« on: September 29, 2003, 10:10:07 pm »

I've been evaluating MC (9.0.180) for about a week now, and I must say I'm fairly impressed**.  In particular, the tag (property) editor seems quite good.  But there are several things I'd like to be able to do in it that I don't see in the interface.  If I were able to edit the tags (exported to plain text) in an external editor and have MC import the result, that would suffice for me.  Examples:

* If I rerip a CD for which I had previously painstakingly edited the tags to be the way I want, I'd like to not have to do that editing all over again. (In this case, I'd only have to change the file names in the exported playlist.)

* Sometimes the YADB tags are in the wrong place, especially for a classical music collection, which is what I mostly have.  For example, I'd like to be able to move, say, the artist column into the composer column.  Easy to do in Excel, tedious in MC.

* Similarly, sometimes for classical CDs, the composer is mixed in with the title.  Separating it out is easy in a decent text editor (emacs), tedious in MC.

* The Library Tools "Find and Replace" command is useful (though I think it should be on the Edit menu).  However, I wish it had a mode where I had to approve each edit.  Sort of like the "Replace" vs. "Replace All" buttons in the MS Word Replace dialog.

So is there an inverse of Export Playlist?  If not in 9.0, is there in 9.1?

(If not, I'll probably end up putting together a Perl program to set tags on MP3 files from a text file, and then tell MC to Update Library from tags.  But I'd rather not have to.)

- - -
** Well, truth be told, MC does crash or get wedged more than it should; fortunately it's easy and quick to restart.  However, I'm not at all pleased about not being able to talk to YADB today, about which see other thread.

dragyn

Re: Import playlist?
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2003, 03:31:35 pm »

In particular, the tag (property) editor seems quite good.

Don't get too used to it. It has changed in 9.1

bvm

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2003, 03:53:56 pm »

Don't get too used to it. It has changed in 9.1

Are you trying to tell me it's gone (or going) downhill?

rocketsauce

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2003, 05:20:49 pm »

No, he's trying to tell you that there is a huge difference between the user interface from 9.0 to 9.1, so things that you get used to doing in 9.0 will most likely be different in 9.1 and the tagging interface has definitely changed in 9.1.

Also, you will lose all of your View Schemes when you upgrade from 9.0 to 9.1. So, if you're new to MC it might be better to just start now with 9.1 rather than spend a lot of time getting 9.0 customized and then upgrading only to find out that everything has changed and many/most of your customizations are lost.

Rob

bvm

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2003, 11:04:06 pm »

So, if you're new to MC it might be better to just start now with 9.1 rather than spend a lot of time getting 9.0 customized and then upgrading only to find out that everything has changed and many/most of your customizations are lost.

I'm currently running my 30-day trial of 9.0.  Can I switch to 9.1 and have the trial continue?  I've seen other posts that suggest I might not be able to.  (Not that I've invested heavily in View schemes yet, but I expect to at some point.)

rocketsauce

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2003, 12:15:10 am »

Can I switch to 9.1 and have the trial continue?

I really don't know for sure, but it seems logical to me that it should continue.

I do know, though, that if you let the trial period expire while using 9.0, you will not be able to get a 30 day trial with 9.1.

Rob
Pages: [1]   Go Up