INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Photo organizing using multiple clients  (Read 2129 times)

jrdiandrea

• Galactic Citizen
Photo organizing using multiple clients
« on: April 14, 2015, 01:07:44 pm »

I've been working on scanning hundreds of old photos to add to my digital photo library. I have not really used the photo section much yet until I completed scanning all of the pix which I recently did.

I have created tags on all of my photos thru MC including Album, Genre, Event, Date, Place & people.

A couple questions;

- All of my scanned photos were in one folder called "scans." I also tagged them all while they were in this one folder. Now i want to move each group to an existing folder that has other like photos. Will moving the files mess up the tagging I've already done?

- If I make tag changes on the MC acting as server do all of the changes alsp appear on each of my 4 clients?

- Can i make tag changes on one of the clients and expect these changes will sinc to the server?  (I have sync on each of the clients)

- Why do all of my music covers show up ?!!! This is driving me crazy!

Thanks for any suggestions.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Photo organizing using multiple clients
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2015, 01:16:01 pm »

The Rename, Move, & Copy tool can move files according to how they are tagged.  Try a few before you do very many.

ferday

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2015, 01:18:16 pm »

configure your auto import to see the folder "scans".  they will appear in the MC library

it's best to configure a view specific to your "scans" folder (the view will ONLY see the images in that folder).  this will eliminate seeing all your music covers...unless they are also in the scans folder in which case i'd move one or the other to another folder

you can make tag changes on the client but you need to be using the authenticated server (just make sure it's checked in the options).  the tag changes sometimes take a while to show up.  also when tagging through a client, remember if you are doing a long session of tagging it can cause some weird issues because of this delay

if you make tag changes on the server, the tag changes will show up on all the clients (after the delay).  it is much better to tag from the server and NOT the client to avoid any weird problems!  

to move your images it's absolutely the best to use the Rename, Move, Copy tool within MC...this guarantees all tag changes etc. will be automatically moved with the files.  also make sure that you have set the "write tag changes to files where possible" in the import options!

jrdiandrea

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2015, 02:04:46 pm »

Thanks to all who replied. Good advice. Man.....the work continues!

jrdiandrea

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2015, 02:22:46 pm »

"....... also make sure that you have set the "write tag changes to files where possible" in the import options!"

ferday, could you explain exactly how to do this? I don't see where to do this..

ferday

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2015, 03:24:57 pm »

Tools>Import>Configure Auto Import

in the Tasks section, scroll down and make sure the "write file tags when analyzing audio..." is checked

jrdiandrea

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2015, 03:28:08 pm »

dah.

Thank you!

jrdiandrea

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2015, 09:54:01 am »

I'm still having issues with my music & movie cover art showing up under images. I know they are considered images too, of course, but how do I get just my "photos" to appear?  I've not seen an adjustment where I can point to just the folder where my photos are. Under library options I have all of my media folders selected as those to watch for this library. Maybe I've over looked how to drill down some where?

apostos

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2015, 12:09:02 pm »

I just tagged my photos to resolve this issue...

Media Type is Image
Media Sub Type is Photo

ferday

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2015, 12:09:31 pm »

the "best" way to do it is to create a view

under the photos tree on the left, copy one of the views (whichever one you like using) and rename the new view whatever
under the file rules, set a new rule that "filename (path) contains" [insert your folder here, like scans or whatever]

the new view will only show files that are from the scans folder now and not all the cover art etc.

Micromecca

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2015, 01:35:36 am »

I just tagged my photos to resolve this issue...

Media Type is Image
Media Sub Type is Photo

Apply this tagging to your import rules, it will save you having to manually tag again in future.
Pages: [1]   Go Up