INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Q: Can multipart movies be virtually merged?  (Read 3448 times)

masterjoe

• World Citizen
Q: Can multipart movies be virtually merged?
« on: April 16, 2015, 12:23:11 pm »

Lets assume I have a movie which is split in multiple chunks:

Movie CD1.avi
   Movie CD2.avi
   Movie CD3.avi

or

Movie 1of3.avi
   Movie 2of3.avi
   Movie 3of3.avi

is there a way to combine these pieces together (virtually! not physically) so that they appear as one continous media file over a DLNA server e.g.?
So that the result would only be "Movie.avi" (no postfixes) and it is the result of virtually joining all three parts together (gapless!).

Can this be done? If not... could you pls add this feature?

ferday

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Q: Can multipart movies be virtually merged?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2015, 01:16:30 pm »

Why?

Use a merge program like mkvmerge

maybe particles is the answer...start with the wiki and a forum search, I can't help with particles

masterjoe

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2015, 01:21:26 pm »

Why? Because its a tedious job to merge hundreds of multipart movies. Would you like to that?

Btw: Your tip brought me to STACKS - that is what I need.
However I currently do not understand how to set them up AUTOMATICALLY rather than manually...?
And do they do what I want to have or are they different??

CountryBumkin

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2015, 01:35:32 pm »

I have done this using the standard "makeMKV" program. You just append the second movie (part 2) to the end of the first, but you also have to cut out the ending credits and such to make it feel seamless. It's not hard to do in makeMKV.
I don't know if using Particles is easier - as I've never used them.
Post back on how it works.

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2015, 01:55:16 pm »

Particles has nothing to do with merging movies. Neither does stacks.

You can link files which might be the easiest. Arrange files in order, select all of them, right click > Library Tools > Link Tracks. Now when you play the first video file in the link the others will automatically play, too.

If you playback on your computer you will get cover art flashing between videos if using Red October HD. You need to switch to Red October to have a smooth transition from one file to the next.

masterjoe

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2015, 02:00:23 pm »

Does linking make the multipart videos behave as if they were only one file?

I don't think so. I want the mutipart videos to be virtually merged
so that they behave as if they were only one single video file.
And so they should appear in the library - especially via DLNA (that is how I use MC the most)!

How can that be achieved?

---

Using MKV merge and similar tools is no option at all. It can be used for joining together one movie but not for hundreds and hundreds of movie parts!
I need something automatic which does not touch the files physically.

masterjoe

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2015, 06:53:17 pm »

Bump.

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2015, 07:54:30 pm »

I don't think we have anything to do this, so, no.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2015, 10:38:09 pm »

Does linking make the multipart videos behave as if they were only one file?

I don't think so. I want the mutipart videos to be virtually merged.

MC cannot do this. The Linking feature was developed in response to similar requests for Audio files, and it solves most of the problems without requiring major underlying changes to the Library structure.  MC considers the file to be the database "atom", and always has, and this is not going to change.  In the future, maybe we can goad them into improvements in the Linking feature, but that's new, and they'll probably want to let it percolate for a while.  I wouldn't count on changes here anytime during MC20's lifespan, anyway.

However, that's not to say that MC can't deal with multiple file videos without having to merge them manually.  There are a few different strategies here:

* Simple mode: Just name them the same name, suffixed with "Part 1", "Part 2", etc afterwards.  This is ugly but it works if you only have a few.

* More advanced mode:
   - For all multi-part movies, tag them with the same [Name] (which is good because then the metadata lookup works right for them)
   - Fill [Disc #] with 1,2,3,n
   - Maybe disable [Use Bookmarking] for all but the first [Disc #] file.

For the latter, you can construct a Theater View that shows movies in a flat listing where when you open a single-part movie, it opens just that movie, and multi-part movies, it drills down to the "episodes".  You can do this a few different ways.  The easiest is to just add [Name] as the final Category to your view.  You can change the file caption for Theater View to suffix the [Disc #] to the displayed name if it exists.

If you do this, though, you might want to consider making it also handle full "series" of movies (such as Indiana Jones, Star Wars, etc).  I use [Series] and [Episode] to capture this information (and make them sort correctly in my Media Views).  You can even, if you want, make them display in a cool "flat" list in Theater View with a special expression field.  Here's one strategy for creating a Theater Media View that might give you some ideas:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=78198.0

That method has some downsides, though, so I prefer to use clever captioning in Theater View to have them all show up together, but in the right order and labeled nicely.  The same tricks work for Media Network Views so, you can use it with JRemote and whatnot too.

In the end, there are ways to deal with it. When you play them back, MC will play them back seamlessly (or darn close, assuming you have local access to the files and aren't transcoding them on the fly or serving them via MCWS).  So, you'll be able to just "enter through" them and it'll play the files in order.  You won't be able to use bookmarking on the movie really ("further in" in the files than the first "disc" at least), but... Meh.  If it is something I'd actually watch and re-watch over and over (which basically amounts to my kid's movies) I'd just merge them.

So, not perfect in every conceivable way, but you can deal with them in a decently slick method.  I implemented most of this stuff before, and still have a bunch of them in my "archives" of old media, but I certainly don't rip discs that way anymore, so it has largely faded away.  Now, if I do end up with a new split-into-segments movie that I actually care about (not way back in my cold storage or a delete-after-watching quality movie) I whip out mkvmerge and just merge them (which takes only a minute or two per movie, max).
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

astromo

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2015, 03:51:46 am »

I'd go with the advice to put MakeMKV to work.

A bit of messing about but you could then use MKVmerge to code in chapter marks. Easy to do with the chaptersdb database. When you play back in MC, you've then got the chapter marks to navigate with. Otherwise give particles a go.
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

dmac6419

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2015, 08:23:34 am »

Synology put them together perfecly,dont know how they do it,some of the competition also puts them together,but not jriver

masterjoe

• World Citizen
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2015, 08:53:59 am »

I would like to see a feature - lets call it STRIPES - that allows to virtually join
(and unjoin) multiple files together so that they seem to be one (the media length will increase!).
Of course the resolution has to be the same.
But when transcoding is active it wouldn't matter which codecs or compression ratios they use.

Stacks are well and good. But I need STRIPES :)

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2015, 05:11:30 pm »

I would like to see a feature - lets call it STRIPES - that allows to virtually join
(and unjoin) multiple files together so that they seem to be one (the media length will increase!).
Of course the resolution has to be the same.
But when transcoding is active it wouldn't matter which codecs or compression ratios they use.

Stacks are well and good. But I need STRIPES :)

I think an expansion of the current Linking feature like this would be cool for the future.  But, probably not right now.  Bigger fish and all of that.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

masterjoe

• World Citizen
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2015, 06:18:14 am »

Yeah, that would be so great. I am looking forward for such a feature.  :)
It would help reducing clutter.
Pages: [1]   Go Up