INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Using iPhone as renderer-DSP?  (Read 2239 times)

Geekspeak

• Recent member
Using iPhone as renderer-DSP?
« on: April 15, 2015, 11:00:59 pm »

Using iPhone (jremote) as renderer in my car, and would like to apply the same volume leveling I have in my house when streaming from my server to my receiver. Is it possible to apply the same dsp settings (volume, cross fade) that I have in my house to my iPhone output?

Also, what is the output of my jremote? Is it the uncompressed file on my server, or does it get compressed/converted?

Arindelle

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Using iPhone as renderer-DSP?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2015, 04:23:34 am »

Using iPhone (jremote) as renderer in my car, and would like to apply the same volume leveling I have in my house when streaming from my server to my receiver. Is it possible to apply the same dsp settings (volume, cross fade) that I have in my house to my iPhone output?

hmm not sure  :D

Also, what is the output of my jremote? Is it the uncompressed file on my server, or does it get compressed/converted?
thats your choice ... Go to Options=>Media Network=>Client Options=>Audio Conversion on the machine running media server. Your choice will probably will depend on the band width. If you actually can control the dsp, which I'm not sure of, things like cross fading will slow things down są might not be a good idea .. also I think this setting is not zone specific ... so that means if you choose to compress/transcode the stream to your phone, then all other clients on a LAN for example would be affected I think.

Micromecca

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2015, 01:29:26 am »

Go to Options=>Media Network=>Client Options=>Audio Conversion on the machine running media server.

Doesn't that option only apply when it's configured on an actual MC client connected to a Library Server?

Arindelle

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2015, 04:02:36 am »

Doesn't that option only apply when it's configured on an actual MC client connected to a Library Server?
JRemote is acting as a client in your case, isn't it? I see I left out the parentheses .. should have said on the PC running media server, go to options etc.  So if you set that to Don't convert it will be sending out the native file "format" to all its clients. Transcoding at the server level is faster over a WAN, so I suppose that is why the option is there.

Then in JRemote, you can specify if you want it to transcode or not and if you choose to then you can indicate 320, 128 or 64kps. So if you turn transcoding off and you are streaming flac et 16bit/44.1K that's what you should be getting. I don't have the bandwidth to do that so mine is set to 320kps, but if your network supports it go for it.

Micromecca

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2015, 04:07:45 am »

Hi, I don't use JRemote I was just commenting on your reply.
I'm quite sure that those options you pointed out are only applicable to an actual JRiver MC Server Client and don't don't make any difference if configured on the actual server.

M

Arindelle

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2015, 04:14:34 am »

Hi, I don't use JRemote I was just commenting on your reply.
I'm quite sure that those options are only applicable to an actual JRiver MC Server Client and don't don't make any difference if configured on the actual server.

M
really ... well if I'm wrong about that one, sorry for any confusion .. been set up that way for years, but now that I re-read the option makes sense what you are saying .. I'll have to look into that

PS -- oops thought you were the OP

Micromecca

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2015, 04:17:00 am »

Hopefully someone will confirm for us, but I've always used it that way and it does what it says on the tin.

JRemote and Gizmo have their own transcoding preference options which I would assume get sent to the server (and still get transcoded on the server)

Arindelle

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2015, 04:22:31 am »

Hopefully someone will confirm for us, but I've always used it that way and it does what it says on the tin.

JRemote and Gizmo have their own transcoding preference options which I would assume get sent to the server (and still get transcoded on the server)
not saying you are wrong, actually it makes sense .. I know though that you can have the server change the sample rate ahead of a DAC and I might be confusing the two. Just thought the option was there to have the transcoding burden over WAN be on the PC and not on the external device ... but hey I'm often wrong .. what do they say about teaching old dogs new tricks  :D

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2015, 04:31:59 am »

Is it possible to apply the same dsp settings (volume, cross fade) that I have in my house to my iPhone output?
Not currently.
It would be very useful to have some way of configuring DSP for Gizmo playback - preferably a per-device option if that's at all possible.

There is a transcoding option in JRemote, which lets you either leave audio in its original format or convert to MP3.
Unfortunately not all formats are supported unless you convert everything to MP3.
I would like to see some expanded options such as converting unsupported formats to WAV or FLAC streams, rather than having to downconvert everything to MP3.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2015, 07:17:33 am »

Correct.

Arindelle

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2015, 01:43:22 pm »

ah ok. Thanks guys for clarifying this I'll edit my post then.
Pages: [1]   Go Up