INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Music Lobby for the PocketPC? Has anyone used it?  (Read 2407 times)

kiwi

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Don't worry, be happy...
Music Lobby for the PocketPC? Has anyone used it?
« on: September 29, 2003, 03:22:14 pm »

Hey, I just saw Music Lobby PPC.  It looks very interesting and seems to only be priced at $35.

http://www.cinemaronline.com/musiclobbyppc.html

I don't mind spending that kind of money if it works out of the box.  Has anyone used it?  It looks like it has a much nicer interface than NetRemote has.  

Plus, I figure that dealing with all of the configuration of NetRemote will take over 2 hours, and well, I can work for those 2 hours and easily make more money than this program costs.

On that note, does anyone know whether there are any PocketPCs that have 4-6 inch LCD displays?

kiwi

marketability

• World Citizen
  • eat!
Re: Music Lobby for the PocketPC? Has anyone used
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2003, 11:26:21 pm »

Don't know about MusicLobby but can vouch for NetRemote
Couple of hours? took me 5 minutes!
if you try NR just remember
1. tick the "populate tree" option in views
2. installed JUST the mediaserver plugin from NR after each update of MC

NR is well cool - a great complement to MC

Zoner

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2003, 12:49:37 am »

One thing to be aware of: MusicLobby PPC v1 doesn't support multiple zones.

AFAIK all PPCs have the same (tiny) screen size.

kiwi

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2003, 08:27:59 am »

Don't know about MusicLobby but can vouch for NetRemote
Couple of hours? took me 5 minutes!
if you try NR just remember
1. tick the "populate tree" option in views
2. installed JUST the mediaserver plugin from NR after each update of MC

NR is well cool - a great complement to MC

I'll definitely have to give it a try.  I'm extremely pleased to hear that it doesn't take that long.  I've just been warry about free programs because they are often a bit of a crap shoot in terms of setup ease.

One thing to be aware of: MusicLobby PPC v1 doesn't support multiple zones.

good to know.  It's not a big deal for me, since this system is only for listening to music on my dedicated sound system.  I want the computer in the next room so that I don't have to hear the hard drives or the fans.

AFAIK all PPCs have the same (tiny) screen size.

:'(

that's what I figured.  I really want to have a device that I can carry around to check email, surf the web and read pdfs.  Something inbetween a full computer (TabletPC) and a PocketPC.  A nice 6 or 7 inch display, with the same guts as a pocketpc would be perfect.

kiwi

marketability

• World Citizen
  • eat!
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2003, 10:20:32 am »

that's what I figured.  I really want to have a device that I can carry around to check email, surf the web and read pdfs.  Something inbetween a full computer (TabletPC) and a PocketPC.  A nice 6 or 7 inch display, with the same guts as a pocketpc would be perfect

I'm on a similar square - I bought a Fujitsu Stylus secondhand on ebay (only paid £150) its a handheld - stylus driven PC running Microsoft W98. Its not fast but since I only run NetRemote or IExplore on it, its plenty good enough. Keep an eye out for one?

The new Stylus models are better spec but way expensive.

How about a ViewSonic 10" screen smart display - still a bit lumpy though at £700

Mastiff

• MC Beta Team
  • The Multi-Zone Tzar
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2003, 12:52:11 pm »

If you check out the NetRemote webpage Ben has made a version especially for the Siemens SIMpad. And there was a powerbuy of those things a few weeks ago, another one may come. I bought one, and it seems ideal for my use: WC surfing and NetRemote in the living room and the home theater.  ;D
Tor with the Cinema Inferno & Multi-Zone Audio system

pclausen

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2003, 01:12:12 pm »

I have MusicLobby PPC and  run it on my Dell Axim.  Works quite well, but as was pointed out, it doesn't currently support multizone which is a problem for me as I have 6 configured in MC9.

I also have a Viewsonic airpanel (the 15" version) and it gives me a 1024x768 remote desktop to my machine running MC9.  Running a thin client like this is extremely fast since my 2.8GHz media server is doing all the work.

Btw, you need MainLobby ($65) in addition to MusicLobby/MusicLobby PPC in order for it to work.

kiwi

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2003, 01:21:06 pm »

Btw, you need MainLobby ($65) in addition to MusicLobby/MusicLobby PPC in order for it to work.

That's a bummer.  So $100 for a program to use a a remote.  That just drastically raised the level of trouble that I'd have to go through to create a free solution.

I guess that if I had it setup with a display in the room where I'd benefit from ML.  But with only the hand held, I'll probably go with NetRemote.  At least to start with.

Btw, how do you like you Dell Axim?

kiwi

kiwi

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2003, 01:41:03 pm »

That Siemens SIMpad looks pretty cool.  I'll have to see whether I can find one.  Hopefully at a discount.  I've poked around and see a few such devices, but they are all going for $1000-1500 or so.  For that, I'd just get TabletPC and be all set.

Time to probe eBay.

kiwi

pclausen

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2003, 02:23:30 pm »

Kiwi, I like the Axim a lot.

Btw, I started out running NetRemote until MusicLobby/PPC came out.  NetRemote was pretty easy to setup to work with MC9, is free and supports multizones in MC9.

I ultimately went with the Lobby suite becase I wanted the same look and feel for everything (PPC, airpanel, local screens).

mcascio

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2003, 03:00:12 pm »

Hey Guys,

Just to clarify a few things. MusicLobby PocketPC does not require MainLobby - you only need to spend $35.   The full version of MusicLobby does though.  Once you start playing around with MainLobby you'll start to realize all the cool things you'll be able to do in addition to running MusicLobby.  

I'm currently controlling zones from "MY" version of MusicLobby PPC - it will be available in the next free update along with improved performance and some other features.

The hot topic I've seen as of lately is using Remote Desktop via an Airpanel to connect to the Lobby Suite in combination with WinConnect Server XP.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=299438&perpage=20&highlight=thinsoft&pagenumber=1

ThinSoft's application allows you to connect via remote desktop to a single computer from multiple computers.  Typically the primary user would be locked out.

I'll be doing a powerbuy very soon if anyone is interested in getting their software at a discounted price. Contact me asap if interested: mario@cinemaronline.com
Mario Cascio
Cinemar
http://www.cinemaronline.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up