INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: POST IPOD SUPPORT QUESTIONS HERE  (Read 42919 times)

GaryD9

• Recent member
Re: POST IPOD SUPPORT QUESTIONS HERE
« Reply #150 on: September 25, 2003, 03:55:04 am »

• Next we have to try and figure out how the iPod creates it's own dynamic playlists. As Kurt pointed out, if you have a "Recently Played" smartlist on a MiPod, it will update w/the tunes you played without a resync of the MiPod.  Not sure how they're doing it.  I think Jim needs to get you a Mac so you can test this out.  ;)

Agreed here...  It would be great if my "unrated tracks" and "Haven't heard in weeks" smartlists updated on the ipod by itself without me having to re-sync.  

Take care
Gary

SteveG

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #151 on: September 25, 2003, 06:39:25 am »

With the one step sync, are smartlists repopulated after the ipod->pc sync, but before the pc->ipod sync?

In tonight's build, smartlists now will be updated after the iPod to MC synch before the MC to iPod synch.

Roadrunner,

Audilble files (i.e .aa) on iPod that are interacted with via MC will handle bookmarking. This feature is not implemented for other file types in MC. That may happen in a future release.

Adam,

Thanks for the notes on testing the All Music. The problems were caused by and unrelated problem that is now fixed. The short of it is that if you clicked on the One Click Synch, your iPod was not getting recognized as a synchable device which resulted in the "No files to Upload" type messages. This is fixed tonight, so if you can rerun your test and give me some kind of verification regarding "All Music" that would be great.

Adam and Kurt,

I changed the right click menus to read "Synchronize" and "Import Ipod data into MC". I left them for now becuause with "Synchronize" alone you cannot handle the possibility of a user who wants iPod data to go to MC without synching MC to iPod at the same time. I think some may want to do this (I do) so I don't want to remove it at this time.

markp99

• World Citizen
« Reply #152 on: September 25, 2003, 07:00:35 am »

<<moved this post here>>

I just created a couple "Playlist Groups".  

Sync'ing to iPod (one-btn-sync) only sends the underlying Playlists, not the parent groups.  Is this normal??    

This was a one-button-sync and I did see the parent playlist group in the dialog box with the child playlists *checked*.

Example:

Favorites
 ++ Rock/Pop
 ++ Gospel

"Favorites" Playlist Group label did not transfer to iPod, only "++ Rock/Pop" and "++ Gospel" appear as playlists on the iPod.

Ideas?

mclaugh

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #153 on: September 25, 2003, 07:07:13 am »

perhaps consider two additional edits:
1. Put checkboxes next to the playlist group nodes that select/deselect child objects -- it would ease the loss of the Select All/None buttons.
2. Remove the top-level "Playlists" node completely, for two reasons:  we know they're playlists, and the node takes up screen real estate.

This would be awesome.  An ipod user could have several "playlist groups", each one corresponding to a particular day/event- typical workday, weekend, family trip, driving w/ significant other.  Seeing as (for me) much of the wait each day consists of trying to add/remove one or two playlists for that day's activities, I'm all for these checkboxes next to Playlist Groups.
Keep up the good work, SteveG!

bd6675

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #154 on: September 25, 2003, 07:21:32 am »

Hey Steve,

I am really at a loss here.  I tried what you told me to do (use .259, check IPOD date and time and wipe out pod and start fresh).  I did that then I loaded my songs back on to the ipod (40gb-2.0.1- win) and played a few songs.  I then reconnected and I see that the number plays field and the last played date have changed like they should and my smartlist in the playlist view in MC9 has updated, however, when I try to synch it does not remove the songs from the playlist on the IPOD.  I must be doing something wrong with the synch process or my formula on my smartlist is wrong.  The formula I am using is: [Last Played=>=40320] .  If that is not the problem then I must be screwing something up when I synch.  I am not sure if I should have my Smartlist already created once I load all my music back on to my ipod and then play for testing, or if I should create it after I get all my music back on  and play for testing (or if that makes a difference at all).  Also, when I synch, should I click on the one-step synch button or should I use the two step synch method......clicking synch ipod with mc and then synch mc with ipod.  In addition should I uncheck update tags?  I really have no idea what is going on.  I have been fighting with this thing for hours and hours and have had no success.  I must be doing something wrong in this whole process.  It seems that the only thing that is missing is the part where the songs are removed from my smartlist on my ipod.  I really want to get this figured out.  Any help would be most appreciated.  Is anyone else having this problem with 2.0.1 ipods?

Thanks,

Chris

Kurt Young

• Tastes like crab, talks like people.
« Reply #155 on: September 25, 2003, 07:53:08 am »

<<moved this post here>>

I just created a couple "Playlist Groups".  

Sync'ing to iPod (one-btn-sync) only sends the underlying Playlists, not the parent groups.  Is this normal??    

This was a one-button-sync and I did see the parent playlist group in the dialog box with the child playlists *checked*.

Example:

Favorites
 ++ Rock/Pop
 ++ Gospel

"Favorites" Playlist Group label did not transfer to iPod, only "++ Rock/Pop" and "++ Gospel" appear as playlists on the iPod.

Ideas?

This is a limitation of the iPod.  It does not understand playlist groups.  Thus, when you synch, all playlists will appear in alphabetical order on the iPod, no matter how they are grouped on MC.  (or did i misunderstand your question?)
 mjextman.exe /ipodsync

Kurt Young

« Reply #156 on: September 25, 2003, 07:57:48 am »

<snip!>
Adam and Kurt,

I changed the right click menus to read "Synchronize" and "Import Ipod data into MC". I left them for now becuause with "Synchronize" alone you cannot handle the possibility of a user who wants iPod data to go to MC without synching MC to iPod at the same time. I think some may want to do this (I do) so I don't want to remove it at this time.
<snip!>

Thanks for the wording change, sir.  I agree, though, that eventually (that is, as soon as the one-step process is completed and stable) the two menu options should become one.  Having the "Import iPod Data Into MC" command always available by itself would invite multiple imports, which would totally skew MC's data:  users would be able to click import over and over again.

Unless, that is, you can find a way to prevent a second import... somehow make MC able to say "Hey, you've already imported your iPod data... you can't do it again until it changes from the last time you did it"
 mjextman.exe /ipodsync

bd6675

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #157 on: September 25, 2003, 07:58:02 am »

I was just thinking about what else could be casuing this....would it have anything to do with the fact that on my ipod I have Shuffle set to Songs?  I doubt that it does...but I am trying to rack my brain and I can not think of anything.  I doubt that I have a defective ipod because everything else works fine......

Chris

cct1

• World Citizen
  • I like shiny things
« Reply #158 on: September 25, 2003, 08:19:30 am »

Steve,

What you've done with this is friggin' awesome.  

I agree with Adam and Kurt about changing that "select all" and "select none" buttons on the synch screen--it has accounted for quite a bit of confusion over at the 'lounge....

And if there is a way for you to get the last played playlists to update in the ipod itself like it does for the Macpods, you might as well get your affairs in order before you implement it, because you will be going straight to heaven...

Man I love clicking on that ipod icon and synching--it's truely awesome.  Again, thanks for all your hard work on this, it is truely and greatly appreciated...

Chris

BlueGlow

• Galactic Citizen
  • Absence of alternatives clears the mind nicely.
« Reply #159 on: September 25, 2003, 09:23:30 am »

Odd behavior debugged: I would dock the iPod and it would work for about 20 seconds while displaying "do not disconnect", mount ok so the iPod icon no longer shows the red X, then immediately unmount and go back to the iPod menu unless MC was running and had focus. The solution was to open the iPod Manager and set Home Application to None. I had recently set it to Media Center. Now my iPod stays mounted until I safely eject it. I hope that account will help someone else doing late night searching. : )

BlueGlow

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #160 on: September 25, 2003, 09:29:20 am »

BTW, has anyone done an iPod troubleshooting FAQ/digest yet? I checked Adam's great help file, this amazing forum, and the Apple support site and had no joy.

Adam, your help file was the biggest help. It gave me a great clean, organized place to start from in debugging this problem. Thanks very much!

ashawley

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #161 on: September 25, 2003, 09:59:04 am »

<shameless plug>
Blueglow:
Check the MC9 Board over at www.ipodlounge.com/forums.

There's a wealth of knowledge there and a bunch of us'll be happy to help you.  And there are some FAQs there too.

</shameless plug>

;D  

Adam

Chrispod

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #162 on: September 25, 2003, 10:26:00 am »

I have to write!!!!! HOOOOOOOORRRRRAAAAAAAAAAYYYYY!!!!!!!

I just installed version 9.1.259 and I'm absolutely amazed.  I plugged in my iPod, clicked on the letter,  and quickly a "retrieving files" window came up and there, before my eyes were my files.  QUICKLY!  Then, I synched to put on the week's new cd's, and even more quickly, they transfered!!!  I didn't have to search iPod for files, then resynch!  I've asked for this for months, bugged ADAM like crazy, and there, now you have it.

THANKS, it just keeps getting better.  Christopher

SteveG

« Reply #163 on: September 25, 2003, 11:25:56 am »

Everyone,

Tonight's build(9.1.260) features:

1) Smartlists now will be updated after the iPod to MC synch before the MC to iPod synch.

2) Resizeable Synch dialogue.

3) Removed "Playlists" from root of Synch Dialogue

4) Renamed items in right click for synching.

For those who want the checkboxes for subitems in the synch tree, can you explore the right-click items in the Synch tree for  "Select all subitems" and "Deselect all subitems"? I think this gets us most of the way there.

In regards to the "Select All" and "Select None", removing them is trivial, but I use them (others maybe)? I don't see the confusion. I hear your statement that some playlists don't transfer, but if this is the case, there is a bug which I should fix. For anyone who sees this, please give details so I can reproduce.

Adam,

In regards to the Sync progress and making MC like it, this won't happen. The alternative is to make the iPod one like MC for consistency, but I think that may not be for the best.

Chris (bd6675),

Please try again with tonight's build. My best guess is that the smartlists in MC were not getting refreshed after the iPod to MC synch, which was a problem until today's build.

roadrunner562

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #164 on: September 25, 2003, 11:45:05 am »

Steveg,

Do you know if there is a way to convert .cda files to audilble files (i.e .aa) to use the bookmark function?

Thanks

SteveG

« Reply #165 on: September 25, 2003, 11:48:20 am »

Roadrunner,

I do not know, but someone else may be able to suggest something.

Steve

jgourd

• Galactic Citizen
  • Geurilla Recording At Its Best
« Reply #166 on: September 25, 2003, 12:43:26 pm »

Thanks for the checkbox, that did the trick. Now if only I could figure out how to make new views  ?

schwaa

• Junior Woodchuck
  • and then...
« Reply #167 on: September 25, 2003, 01:33:41 pm »

If you can, try the reinitialize. I can not think of a reason why if after a rebuild everything is OK that disconnecting and reconnecting would screw things up unless you have MusicMatch installed and it is trying to write into the Database. Anyway, please try the reinitialize and lets go from there.

Steve

I am now using .259 and initialized iPod. This allowed me to re-synch, reloading all my songs. However, I am still getting the same error I reported in my previous post if I unmount, unplug, replug, remount and reload MC. Though it is now worse. When I rebuild the database, it goes through the few minute process of rebuilding. Upon completion MC attempts to read iPod and then pops up another Information box saying "Error reading the database. Please rebuild database from iPod." I have gone through this exercise a few times with the same results.

At this point I have no access to iPod.....  All help is greatly appreciated. In case this might be an issue, again please note that the plugin I am using is 9.0.55, not the 9.0.38 currently posted.

ashawley

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #168 on: September 25, 2003, 01:51:04 pm »

schwaa:

I didn't see you state it (could have missed it), but have you done a full restore w/the Apple updater?  If you haven't, you should try that.....

Adam

ashawley

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #169 on: September 25, 2003, 01:52:58 pm »

<snip>
Adam,

In regards to the Sync progress and making MC like it, this won't happen.
</snip>

See, I am a loser.  ;) ;D

Adam

BillRaff

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #170 on: September 25, 2003, 02:00:50 pm »

Hi all, I also am seeing the behavior schwaa is seeing. I too have a 3G 30gb Ipod and have tried updating using the updater and then resynching with MC. I did some testing last night (don't have my ipod with me tonight) and found that when I only synched smaller playlists all seemed to be fine. But if I loaded it up (which takes a bit of time for a 30 gigger) the initial synch went fine. I would them disconnect and play a few tunes. Upon a reconnection I would receive the error about the time when you would normally see the 'retreiving files' dialog. I wonder if the amount of data being retreived has anything to do with the error? Any other 30gb users not having this issue?

Media Center Registered 9.1.259 -- C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center\

Microsoft Windows XP  Workstation 5.1 Service Pack 1 (Build 2600)
Intel Pentium 4 1615 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 1048 MB, Free - 733 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2800.1106 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.82 (xpsp1.020828-1920) / Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2800.1226 / Shell32.dll: 6.00.2800.1233 (xpsp2.030604-1804) / wnaspi32.dll: Internal ASPI Layer

Ripping /   Drive D:   Copy mode:ModeBurstBigBuffer   CD Type:IDE   Read speed:Max
 Drive E:   Copy mode:ModeBurstBigBuffer   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
 Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: No /  Calc replay gain: No /  Copy volume: 32767
 Eject after ripping: No /  Play sound after ripping: No  

Burning /  Drive E: PLEXTOR  CD-R   PX-W4012A   Addr: 1:1:0  Speed:40  MaxSpeed:40  BurnProof:Yes
 Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: Yes /  Write CD-Text: Yes
 Use playback settings: No /  Normalization: None

pufftissue

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #171 on: September 25, 2003, 03:05:23 pm »

Make that three people.  I am seeing the same errors, and have been ever since i have been using these beta versions beginning around beta 254, that schwaa and Billraff are seeing.

If I sync just like 100-200 tracks or so, things are ok, meaning, no crashes (though last played has never worked totally correctly for me).  

I sync a playlist "all music", and once I unmount my ipod, play a few songs, and reconnect it, I get an "error reading database".  I have gotten this error repeatedly despite deleting mediacenter 9, and reformatting with ipod updater 1.3 about 4 times.  Rebuilding my database from ipod also doesn't help.

I am using 2nd gen ipod, 20 gb, software 1.3, beta 260 mc9, winxp sp1, P4 2.8 ghz computer.

It might be something all 3 of us are doing wrong, which is a distinct possibility, but I know enough to uninstall a program, reboot, reformat my ipod, and try again.  But even that is not working for me.  My untrained eye seems to think the errors come when synching your entire database.  

Thanks

schwaa

• Junior Woodchuck
  • and then...
« Reply #172 on: September 25, 2003, 04:45:36 pm »

Well, so I took Adam's advice and used iPod Updater to Reformat (though it did not work, thanks for the suggestion!), then used MC to initialize, and re-synched again. Initially, immediately after synching MC behaves normally and I have full access to iPod.  But sure enough, I unplugged replugged, etc. and got the same error.  MC will not "read" iPod and no amount of database rebuilding or any of the other suggestions have thus far corrected this problem.
I have never even loaded MusicMatch. Could my plugin version be a problem, 9.0.58? Again, all help is good help..

cct1

• World Citizen
  • I like shiny things
« Reply #173 on: September 25, 2003, 05:46:32 pm »

Steve,

Ok, here's the problem with the "select all" or "select none":  A significant number of people when they're learning to synch, will check the playlists they want to synch, then hit the "select all" button rather than "Ok".  This causes a major league screw up in playlists...And it's easy to understand how this could happen--you check your playlists, see the "select all button" on the left  (people think they are selecting all the playlists they checked), where you'd think the synch button would be--but what you really want is the "Ok" button.

One thought would be simply to flip flop the buttons--move the OK and Cancel button to the left, and the select all, select none, and  options button to the right--and maybe consider changing the name of the "select all" button to "select all playlists", although that could still be misninterpreted...Another option would be just to get rid of the select all/select none buttons altogether...You're right, it's a question of semantics, but I can tell you this has lead to quite a bit of confusion for people synching for the first time--Adam and Kurt can back me up on this.  Or at least I think they can.  Or at least I hope they can....

Chris

udeups

• World Citizen
« Reply #174 on: September 25, 2003, 06:26:18 pm »

I kinda like the Select All and Select None simply for convenience. I wouldn't mind if they were more buried, but it certainly is convenient when you synch a lot of playlists.

ashawley

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #175 on: September 25, 2003, 08:39:03 pm »

schwaa:

When you say "it didn't work" do you mean the Restore didn't work, or after doing the restore you still had the same problem?  If the Restore didn't work, we've got to get that resolved first.

I think Steve recommended that you get tonight's .260 build.  Did you do that?  That will have version 9.0.59 of the plugin in it.  

Steve:
I've found a bug w/Playlists not appearing.  This is the same issue I ran into last night.  Not sure how it happened. I did 3 syncs tonight (one to update library, 1 to copy new tunes on, another one after I'd changed some ratings in MC9).  After the first sync I removed the iPod and the playlists were on there fine. After the 2nd and 3rd syncs, when I checked playlists I didn't have any.  The artists all showed up fine.  The only way I was able to get playlists back on was to rebuild the iPod database and then the sync added the playlists fine.

Also, would it be possible to not auto-expand the Auto-Smartlist (music) Playlist Group?  I don't know about everyone else, but I don't sync w/that at all, I have my own playlist group that I sync with.  It'd be nice if you could expand all the playlists groups that have checks in them.  That would probably work for everyone.

Oh, wanted to report that the Smartlist refresh works fine though.  At least it did fine on the first sync I did.

Adam

Kurt Young

« Reply #176 on: September 25, 2003, 09:13:03 pm »

One thing about .260 -- the "Auto Smartlists (Music)" playlist group always begins expanded when I first bring up the sync dialogue, :D

Chris, you know that I like ganging up on Steve with you and Adam... I mean, it's really the only fun I get to have these days.

But, I found myself using the "select none" button yesterday and today.  It's just darn handy.  So... y'all remember BlueGlow's prototype dialouge?  I like it!  I especially like the select all/none links.  One hearty "Aye!" from cc.

(minus the "playlists" node, of course.  Thankee, Steve, :))
 mjextman.exe /ipodsync

BlueGlow

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #177 on: September 25, 2003, 09:56:48 pm »

Trying 260 tonight, sync is working fine. Import iPod data into MC did not seem to work. I tried it twice and neither the ratings or the last played transferred.

First time I clicked the bottom toolbar "Portable Download" icon which displayed the Synchronization dialog. I selected all three options, delete, update, and sync. The sync progressed normally, but the newly rated songs did not transfer. Then I rated and played again and tried it via the right click "Import iPod data into MC" option.  

ugilt

• Junior Woodchuck
  • a picture says more than a thousand words...
« Reply #178 on: September 25, 2003, 09:57:19 pm »

I too like the above suggestion for a nicer look & feel
- if you find the time, pls consider this.

BlueGlow

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #179 on: September 25, 2003, 10:20:08 pm »

Kurt,
Thanks for the vote of support. <g> I customized it for the iPod, but it looks like Steve might be trying to generalize it for any handheld since he is avoiding the word iPod in the dialog. Also, I would lose the 'Select All/None' active links and train people to use the right click on on a node.

Steve,
Could you please remove the auto-expand on 'Auto Smartlists (music)'?  I find it much easier to have a separate set of playlists for the handheld player and the default MC playlists just get in the way.

Thanks,
 BG

BlueGlow

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #180 on: September 25, 2003, 10:24:30 pm »

Initializing iPod again tonight.  Ratings and last played wouldn't work any way I tried. Starting the 25 GB transfer now, see you in the morning.  ;D

BG

mclaugh

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #181 on: September 26, 2003, 03:17:03 am »

I haven't succumbed to one button sync yet, so bear with me.... (and I'm at work now, so I don't remember all the exact wording).
I didn't have much time to play with 260 last night, but I did see one thing that made me curious.  There is now a third check box on the "synchronize" screen, for what looks like bringing the play counts and stuff from the Ipod to MC.  Is this checkbox the same as right clicking on the Ipod's drive letter and choosing "sync ipod info with MC"?
Thanks.

SteveG

« Reply #182 on: September 26, 2003, 07:04:08 am »

jgourd,

What do you mean by 'make new views'?

schwaa, BillRaff, Pufftissue,

1) Are you ejecting iPod from within MC?

2) Can you try closing MC and then ejecting MC from Windows?

3) Do not install any plugins from the Plugin page. Simply get the latest version of MC and that way you will automatically be at the latest version of the Portable Plugin. (Schwa, I noticed you said you had version 9.0.55 which is old. You should be at 9.0.59 and then at 9.0.60 after tonight)

If this does not give you some clues, when you reconnect iPod and see the Rebuild message, send me a copy of your iTunesDB file from iPod (Drive Letter\iPod_Control\iTunes\iTunesDB) and I can sort it out. (steve @ jriver.com)

Adam,

See, I am a loser.

:D

Only because this issue is a losing battle for now.

Everyone,

The auto expand on Auto Smartlists is removed tonight. I will implement some of the suggestions for the interface.  

BlueGlow,

Let me know if all is better for you. If not, remind me what firmware you are running.

mclaugh,

The checkbox is the same as the right click option you mention.

PS Did anyone try to resize the Synch Dialogue?

bd6675

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #183 on: September 26, 2003, 07:05:09 am »

I upgraded to .260 started with a clean ipod, played a few tracks and then reconnected and hit the little one-step ipod synch button.  The Synch Playlist window came up to select which playlists I wanted to synch.  I selected all my playlists including my smartlist ( [Last Played]=>=40320 ) and made sure the update tags and synch data to MC boxes were checked and then clicked OK and it showed that the songs I just played were not coming across which is normal and then I checked my Media Library and it should the last played date and the number plays fields were updated and then I checked my smartlist under the ipod view in MC9 and the tracks were not removed from the playlist.

This is the same problem I have always had....with every build of MC9.  I am still not sure if I am doing something wrong or not but with every build it reacts the same way which leads me to believe I am doing something wrong.  Is anyone else with 40 gb (2.0.1) winipod having this problem?  Is there a setting in MC9 that is not set correctly?  Again, I thank everyone for their hard work on this....but I am still unable to use the smartlist feature correctly.

Thanks,

Chris

BlueGlow

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #184 on: September 26, 2003, 07:21:58 am »

It's morning and the sync is done. I experimented again and ratings et al are not transferring. Nothing seems to happen when I select the option other than MC retrieving the file info again.

For the record, it's a 30 GB iPod that did transfer with previous builds. I have now restored twice and initialized twice with no change in behavior. Is there anything more I should try or should I just wait for the next build?

Thanks.

bd6675

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #185 on: September 26, 2003, 07:42:38 am »

Hey Steve,

Here is an update.  As I mentioned in post 183 I tried the new build and a clean IPOD and the same thing happened....the smartlist on the IPOD was not updating.  Okay...so, I then decided to delete my last played smartlist from my IPOD and then synch with no playlists selected so that it would remove the smartlist from my ipod.  That worked.  Then I resynched with only the smartlist selected and it synched the correct number of tracks..it made an exact/correct copy of my smartlist that was showing up under the playlist view in MC9.  I then disconnected and played another song.  It showed up correctly under the IPOD view of MC9, in the Media Library view and it removed it from my smartlist under the Playlist view in MC9.  Okay....then I resynched and it did not update my smartlist on my IPOD.  It seems that the only way to get the correct number of tracks to appear in the smartlist on my IPOD is to delete it and readd it every time. That is the only way it will update the smartlist on my IPOD.  I guess this is a bit of new information....however, I have no idea why this is and if it at all gives you any clues.

Thanks,

Chris

PS:  I will not give up on this thing (even at the cost of my sanity)

BlueGlow

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #186 on: September 26, 2003, 07:46:00 am »

Hi Steve, just saw your message, my firmware is 2.01.

Also, I just did a hex compare on the Play Counts file from my iPod before and after rating and playing a few songs and the file is different after playing. I was concerned when I saw the file size and time hadn't changed, but it seems to always keep the time when the last update finished.

ashawley

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #187 on: September 26, 2003, 09:46:46 am »

Steve:

Any thoughts on the disappearing (or not transferring) playlist problem I've been experiencing?

Re: the Select All/None.  I think a good compromise is the Select All/None links that have been proposed.  That makes the functionality still available, but not quite as, er, obvious.

bd6675:
Your problem is bugging me too. What about doing another simple test.  Create a smartlist of 10 random tracks (Add Modifier>Limit set it to 10 tracks)

Then sync just this playlist w/your iPod.  Check the playlist, then do another sync.  See if it changes.  I know this works as I do something similar every day.  I'd be interested to see your results.

Adam

rwf

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #188 on: September 26, 2003, 12:10:42 pm »

I'm having the same problem(s) as schwaa, BillRaff and Pufftissue - the initial transfer of tunes from MC9.1.260 seemed to be successful (had successfully restored via Apple Updater, and then formatted in MC9). I ejected from within MC9. Then upon reconnecting, MC9 reports "error reading database, please rebuild from ipod" -- rebuilding process ends in similar message "error reading database, please rebuild from ipod". Retrying ends in same error message.

This was a sync with a small playlist. Since music IS put onto the ipod, I decided to restore/reformat and do a big sync (might as well have all the music while the issue's being resolved).

Did that - tunes are there, reconnect problem still there too - this time I noticed that no playlists show up. I think that the one playlist from effort #1 did show up (but couldn't absolutely swear to it) All of the "Browse" categories seem properly populated (including 'Composer' which often got screwed up unless I sync'd incrementally).

Seeing your request for the iTunesDB from one of the others with similar issues, I looked for it and couldn't find anything. The only two folders in K:IPOD are "Calendars" and "Contacts" - (I looked from within MC9 and from "My Computer") am I completely misunderstanding what you're asking for and how/where to find it?

Present problem aside - MC9 is a terrific program. I recently began regularly using the 9.1 betas starting with .251 (used lots of 9.0 betas but decided to take a beta-break for a while) - am almost positive that this reconnection difficulty didn't arise until .259.

20GB 2G, version 1.2.6; Pentium III 1.2,
Media Center Registered 9.1.260 -- C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center\

Microsoft Windows XP  Workstation 5.1 Service Pack 1 (Build 2600)
Intel Unknown 797 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 523 MB, Free - 303 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2800.1106 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.82 (xpsp1.020828-1920) / Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2800.1106 (xpsp1.020828-1920) / Shell32.dll: 6.00.2800.1233 (xpsp2.030604-1804) / wnaspi32.dll: 4.70 , ASPI for Win32         DLL, Copyright © 1989-2001 Adaptec, Inc. / Aspi32.sys: 4.70

Ripping /   Drive G:   Copy mode:ModeSecure   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
 Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: No /  Calc replay gain: Yes /  Copy volume: 32767
 Eject after ripping: Yes /  Play sound after ripping: No  

Burning /  No burners found.
 Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: Yes /  Write CD-Text: No
 Use playback settings: No /  Normalization: None

SteveG

« Reply #189 on: September 26, 2003, 12:19:52 pm »

rwf,

Try browsing to that file from Windows Explorer.

Everyone,

The good news is I think I have a fix for some of the problems reported above. Specifically I think it could resolve reports by Adam (missing playlists), Chris (updating after synching) and BlueGlow(updating).  There were some problems with redrawing the tree after the one click synch that I think is responsible for a variety of things that have been reported. The bad news is that there will be no build today. Sorry. On Monday please get the next build and we will take it from there.

Steve

BlueGlow

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #190 on: September 26, 2003, 01:16:17 pm »

No problem, Steve, thanks and have a great weekend!

BG

webcash

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #191 on: September 26, 2003, 02:03:38 pm »

Tried searching everywhere but unable to find a soloution.I am having a problem with ripped compilation cds.On the Pc they show the correct artists once synched with the ipod they artist changes to multiple artists.I have tried to edit them with the ipod connected and this either crashes the machine or has no effect once the synch is redone.
Am i doing something wrong or is this a defect

Peter

Currently set to ARTIST as my choice as advised by the genius otherwise known as ADAM
:)_

milehigh

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #192 on: September 26, 2003, 06:45:17 pm »

Hi,

I am new to MJ so pardon my ignorance - I was looking through this post and was wondering if there was some sort of default list of Smart Playlist choices - i.e the screen shot above that shows playlists and then has checkboxes for several types - rating 2, 3, most played, etc.

I would like to use these on my home computer (windows) and hate to reinvent the wheel coming up with smartlist "rules" if there is already something like this around.

Please let me know if there is.  I know this doesn't apply to the IPOD theme - but let's say I have IPOD envy and would like something like this on my home computer (windows).  Plus I am lazy...... ;)

ashawley

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #193 on: September 26, 2003, 08:09:07 pm »

Peter...

It didn't work?   ?  I guess I'm no genius after all.  ;D
Someone here will have to chime in, that Auto Aritist stuff has always stumped me.

milehigh:

Are you saying you just want to use those smartlists on MC9?  Sure, the ones you see are actually called "Auto-Smartists" that MC9 makes, they show on the iPod screen above as it uses smartlists as well, but by default they are under Playlists>Autosmartlists (music), you can just access them and play them in MC9--no iPod required.  ;D

Adam

BlueGlow

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #194 on: September 26, 2003, 11:09:34 pm »

Adam, I think MileHigh is saying that he would like to be able to download Smartlists like skins and plugins, just click on a link and that list is added. I agree I don't have any trouble creating my own lists, but I would love to be able to send a pack of Smartlists (with view settings) to friends and post them here as well. Cutting and pasting is certainly possible, but not a great option when you're feeling lazy.  :)

sirshambling

• Galactic Citizen
  • real soul lives on....
« Reply #195 on: September 27, 2003, 12:15:15 am »

Steve,

Thanks very much for fixing the Artist/Album Artist difficulty - the synch process seems to be going very well now.

One strange thing though. I happened to look at the About section of my 2nd gen Ipod and even though I have over 3,000 songs on it it says that I have 18.4GB free of the 18.5GB space the device has. Don't know how long this has been the case as I haven't looked at this since the builds entered the 250's.

Keep going!

John.

milehigh

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #196 on: September 27, 2003, 08:04:56 am »

BlueGlow - you are absolutly right!  Maybe we should start a thread - share your favorite smartlists!  

I am new to MJ/MC and have really just started playing around with it - I only d/l MJ because I didn't think I needed all the other items (I really don't but maybe I will look at MC 9 due to the auto smartlists......

I will start the new thread....  

Thanks guys

Bob007

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #197 on: September 27, 2003, 08:48:35 am »

SteveG:
PS Did anyone try to resize the Synch Dialogue?

I was the one who asked for this, Steve, but unfortunately I've been too busy with work over the last couple of days so I've only just had a chance to upgrade and try it out....IT WORKS - what more can I say  :)...Thanks.

I also like the "Select All Subitems" / "Deselect All Subitems" right-click feature -- very neat and a godsend for me given the way I have my numerous Smartlists/Playlists organised.

BillRaff

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #198 on: September 27, 2003, 04:42:42 pm »

Steve

I sent you a copy of an iTunes database from my iPod. Still seeing the issue with the database becoming corrupted. The issue seems to be related to the amount of files on the iPod as if I keep the playlists small I don't see the issue. This started for me about 3 or 4 builds ago. The dialog says to rebuild from iPod but that always fails and leaves the iPod empty. Have to initialize the iPod to successfully synch. :-/

ashawley

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #199 on: September 27, 2003, 08:15:39 pm »

sirshambling:

Just so you feel in good company the bug of the iPod not reporting the available space correctly has been around since 1st gen iPods.  Before MC9 iPod support was around.  So, I doubt it's an MC9 bug.  No one to my knowledge have ever been able to figure it out.  It happens on some iPods, but not others.  I've never had the problem on 3 different ones...others have had it on multiple one...go figure.

milehigh & blueglow:

DOH!  OK, I get it.  The only way I know is to highlight the smartlist rules and do copy/paste....but it sounds like you want something more elegant than that...  ;)

Adam
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up