INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: [Query] TV Tuner Support on MC Linux  (Read 3000 times)

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
[Query] TV Tuner Support on MC Linux
« on: April 02, 2015, 10:11:21 am »

Is TV Tuner recording or viewing support likely in MC for Linux in the future?  If so, is it likely to be this cycle?  Next cycle?  Or is it affirmatively off the table?

I'm currently rebuilding my server and I realized that the only thing I need a windows virtual machine for anymore is the TV recording functionality in Mediacenter.  Otherwise, JRiver for Linux is "feature complete" as a server for my purposes. 

I have a networked TV Tuner that supports linux and seems to work with other linux media centers, which suggests it's at least in the realm of the possible.  I thought I'd ask before I went through setting up a new windows VM (and navigating that licensing nightmare).

I recognize it's not likely a near-term possibility, but I thought I'd ask just in case  ;D

Hendrik

• Administrator
Re: [Query] TV Tuner Support on MC Linux
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2015, 10:44:26 am »

Nothing is entirely off the table, but for which version its going to be in... Probably not very soon. TV is still being perfected on Windows, and Yaobing is hard at work to support new devices and improve the overall experience... Linux or Mac would open a whole new world of pain there.

In short, maybe some day, we can't say when yet.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

astromo

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2015, 03:56:26 am »

I was thinking the same thing. It would be ideal to have this function on board to make an Id the ideal gift to family members because it would turn it into a do it all package.

And Hendrik, we know you JRiver guys love dev pain..  ;D

My suggestion, for when the time is right, would be to consider the SD HD HomeRun network platform as a starting point for the future:
https://www.silicondust.com/support/downloads/linux/
Works for Mac too if you think along those lines.

Makes sense to me when you think about the strong following for SD hardware amongst those already on the bus. May also help to avoid driver hassles with various usb based hardware. The fact that this would suit me has nothing something to do with the suggestion..  ;)
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2015, 07:26:27 am »

Yeah, when I mentioned above that I had a "networked TV tuner that supports Linux" I was referring to an HDHomerun Prime.  It seems like the networked tuners are significantly easier to interface with than the PCI or USB tuners if linux support is any indication.  Silicon Dust actually provides the source for their libs, which is encouraging.

mrpro

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2015, 06:47:21 pm »

I'm currently rebuilding my server and I realized that the only thing I need a windows virtual machine for anymore is the TV recording functionality in Mediacenter.  Otherwise, JRiver for Linux is "feature complete" as a server for my purposes. 

I have a networked TV Tuner that supports linux and seems to work with other linux media centers, which suggests it's at least in the realm of the possible.  I thought I'd ask before I went through setting up a new windows VM (and navigating that licensing nightmare).

I recognize it's not likely a near-term possibility, but I thought I'd ask just in case  ;D

I echo those sentiments. I live in the US, but in my search for interim Linux solutions, I had trouble initially finding a Linux app that supports NTSC QAM.

I have settled on a small. free app called MeTV until JRiver TV support is available. It's not very full featured, but it does have good performance with my Hauppauge internal PCI-X tuner.
Pages: [1]   Go Up