INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Playlist Search  (Read 1550 times)

Llannis

• Junior Woodchuck
Playlist Search
« on: April 07, 2015, 01:04:02 am »

Hello,
is there a way to search through my Playlists?

I have organized my music with Playlists and Playlists Groups, and since the database has grown to much, I need to be able to search through the Playlist Groups and Playlists to find what I need.

I have tried searching terms by entering "Playlist" or ,Playlist at the end of my search, without success. I guess there must be a way to define my search.

Can anyone help me?

Arindelle

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Playlist Search
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2015, 06:49:03 am »

As Playlists is not a field. How about adding a custom tag like Playlist Name -- that way you could find which songs genres, artists etc were withing playlists. Is this what you want to do?

Llannis

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2015, 12:38:11 pm »

Hi Arindelle,

unfortunately this doesn't work for me.

I need to be able to search in the "playlists" and "Playlist Groups" Titles only,
just like when we make artistsnames-only or albums-only searches.

Is this possible?

PS. I have a custom field-column with Playlists, but this doesn't seem to work when I search something, since I need somehow to specify at the search box; that I need to search in "Playlist Groups and Playlists" Titles.

Arindelle

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2015, 02:44:02 am »

hmmm maybe I'm still confused but now I'm taking you to mean that if you have created groups of playlists and playlists themselves (NOT smartlists), let's call them Group_I, II, III and Playlist_A B C D E etc. .. you want to type them in the search box and find stuff via that criteria (eg search for group_1; or search Playlist E ) is that right?

Now the database (aka library)is searchable along parameters associated to fields (tags). However, you can search by playlist name using the Wizard option from the search box ... the field which is not accessible is called (playlistid for info); actually playlists are in the database as a numeric string it looks like. If you have lots like apparently you do, my idea was to actually name the playlist as text and not a number

If you go into Options=>Library=>Manage Library Fields you can create custom fields. You should (it sounds at least like if I understood :P ) create a new field maybe something like Playlist_Name, Playlist_Group).  see attached. I'd presume you want this to actually write to the file, if not don't check the box. Also assuming it would be a default search (marked as optional in the screenshot) To see the new field in the tag window you might have to click on the also show option (icon - top left of the window).

Then you would have to select all the tracks by playlist and enter the name into this field. Normally there is a way to autofill in new fields from others .. unfortunately not in this case that I know of.

If you decide to do this you can also build Views around this so you can also filter or search by other criteria (like artist date etc). Bear in mind for views, the normal grouping is using Album Artist-Album Name. You would probably want to change that to group along the newly created field. Personally I see no reason to create a Playlist group field as you would probably use another field like genre, but who knows maybe you have a radio station running off of the software  ;D

Now maybe I totally misunderstood and wasted time for both of us   :D. Otherwise, maybe this will help you get started. Just backup your library manually before messing around with the fields, k?

PS - you might want to re-think about using tag data to create smartlists rather than having a zillion playlists before manually tagging these. I only use playlists personally for export reasons or when I never want them to change. If they are based on any kind of criteria, they are in smartlists. Just saying ...

Llannis

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2015, 05:21:04 am »

Hi Arindelle,
Thank you for helping me out. You understood very well my problem, and I get that its a bit complicated :)

How I have organized the music:
I have grouped the music by Era, and then by Composers and then by Tempo and finally by Mood and in each playlist the tracks are in a specific sequence. Its not for playing for radio stations but in order to be able to play live at community events and find what I need really fast.

The tags couldn't help me at the time I organized everything (with the knowledge I had). There might be other ways more efficient, especially using the Views and Smartlists but, I still can't figure them out :( and I have already spent a few thousand hours organizing this thing  ;D (dump me).

Now, I tried making a custom Playlist_Name field but the problem is that when a track is in two playlist_groups i.e. composer - singer, and I choose (ctrl-a) all the tracks in a group to add the name of the field (Playlist_Name=X) it will overwrite the previous one. Maybe I could sort and choose each already filled field and write both names "X, Z", but this seems to take too long.

PS. I would love to sent you a sample of two groups maybe, in case you have suggestions of organizing better my database, but in will be at least until June to find free time to reorganize everything.

Arindelle

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2015, 05:56:34 am »

Hey Llannis

ok its a separator issue for your multiple listings. You need to use the semi-colon between the different playlist names.

This would be much simpler to create another field (I know but no worries it will autofill in :) ) -- its called a calculated field that we can make into a list field. This will avoid the problem you indicate, and also you can use checkboxes to edit later. Should be painless to do

create a new field call it what ever say Playlist_NameList (dunno whatever you want, I'll just use that as an example. You don't have to do this first step but just in case takes a second longer.

1) create new data field like before save it

2) reopen the dialogue box and edit the new field, choosing calculated data this time; paste this expression - make sure you substitute [Playlist_Name] OR the data field you created before if it is not the same

Code: [Select]
[Playlist_Name]&datatype=[list]
see the screenshot below. BTW always make a manual backup of you library before as I said

Now if you fill in the new field, in my example Playlist_NameList, either by typing it in or by clicking on the boxes that will show up. It will auto fill the 1st field or vice versa. You'll see the difference, it works like genre or soloist more or less. so if you have Bach and Adagio and Baroque. If you add or modify these tags into the new field. The Data field will look like this Bach; Adagio; Baroque. It is also possible to type directly into the first field including the ";" but this is sort of unwieldy.

Actually, as you have these categorized already, you could retag directly as the composer is probably already filled out you only have three fields to do (might want to use Period instead of Era, but I think Tempo and Mood are standard Vorbis Comment fields (what JRiver uses basically). Then all you would have to do is make a couple of smartlists and keep your tagging up to date. No more fixed playlists :)

Got to run hope this helps

Arindelle

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2015, 06:03:10 am »

PS. I would love to sent you a sample of two groups maybe, in case you have suggestions of organizing better my database, but in will be at least until June to find free time to reorganize everything.
sure send it might not be able to get to it right away PM or mail works  8)

Llannis

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2015, 06:08:19 am »

Thank you very much Arindelle,

I tried it and it is very usefull but I get files in the specified playlist, and not the playlist itself.

Is there a possibility that I can search only at the very left pane where the playlists (and groups of playlists) are?
In this way the other playlists will disappear and I will view only those that match to my search.

The utility of this will be that I don't need to search in the vast database of playlists for a composer.

Additionaly I will be able to understand that I have already added for example U2 in my playlist database and find that playlist to add the additional songs I have in mind. There are some instances that I create duplicated Group of Playlists because I don't remember that there is already a Group-Folder with that name.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2015, 05:10:39 pm »

For the record, the problem is that you are using Playlists to manage your media, which is not how MC is designed.

You should be using Media Views instead.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/
Pages: [1]   Go Up