INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MP3 Encoder License within MC20 for Windows?  (Read 1213 times)

aviateur

• World Citizen
MP3 Encoder License within MC20 for Windows?
« on: April 23, 2015, 09:43:35 pm »

Is the MP3 Encoder license included in the MC20 for Windows license? I currently manage a 'flac' library with Media Jukebox but I am currently forced to use another product, dbPoweramp Music Converter, to create mp3 files in a separate Media Jukebox library for iPod syncing purposes. This process is convoluted and redundant at best. If the MC20 for Windows product includes the MP3 license, that would be reason enough to upgrade immediately so that syncing (flac-to-mp3) the iPod would take place within the 'flac' library environment. Please say it's so!
Two Cows Walk Into a Bar ...

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: MP3 Encoder License within MC20 for Windows?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2015, 10:07:40 pm »

MC uses LAME which is a free, open source MP3 encoder (considered by basically everyone to be the best and it is really now the "Standard" option used by essentially everyone).  It automatically downloads and configures LAME and uses it automatically.

There is no additional cost.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

aviateur

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2015, 12:08:06 pm »

'Glynor', thanks for the reply. Based on your response, I started the trial version and was able to have limited success with creating mp3s on a 160GB iPod. The 'showstopper' was the Conversion Cache folder created on the local C: SSD, which totally consumed the entire SSD less 1GB and brought the conversion process to a 'screeching' halt (actually I did not hear much screeching but I'm sure you get the point). I did see an option within File Locations to turn OFF the cache creation so I will experiment with that. As a circumvention, I manually deleted the cache folder, uninstalled, and then re-installed the trial version. But based on your reply, I was able to execute enough of the process to determine that managing the iPod, flac-to-mp3, for playback purposes is possible.

If the remainder of my trial goes well, and so far it is, I plan to purchase a license on May 1. I will then experiment with the 'portable' drive option. I will employ a 4TB HD, which is actually an internal HD on an external docking station. I believe this type of device is referred to as a 'sled', which should isolate all storage requirements to the target drive and thus leaving the local SSD drive alone. If that is successful, the abundantly large conversion cache folder, if selected ON, can grow as large as the 160GB iPod requires. Again, thanks for the helpful reply. It was exactly what I needed to know. Cheers, Lawrence
Two Cows Walk Into a Bar ...

Hendrik

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2015, 01:17:32 pm »

If you have a normal HDD in your system, you can also move the cache to another folder on the other drive.  If you do a lot of transfers, having the conversion cache can be beneficial.
But the same option can also just turn it off - and it appears you already found the option! :)
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters
Pages: [1]   Go Up