INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ZoneSwitch. What am I doing wrong?  (Read 1581 times)

newHAPPYuser2015

• World Citizen
ZoneSwitch. What am I doing wrong?
« on: April 23, 2015, 12:44:37 pm »

Here is hoping someone could help me figure it out.

I created two zones - video and music. I also created two zoneswitch rules:
- video rule: [Media Type]=[Video], play in ''video'' and stop playback in ''music''
- music rule: -[Media Type]=[Video], play in ''music'' and stop playback in ''video''

If JMC is closed and I open a video file, playback starts in ''video'' zone. Then if I start playing music, playback in ''video'' zone stops and music starts playing in ''music'' zone. So everything is good.

If music is already playing in ''music'' zone and I open a video file, then instead of video I get an album art of currently playing song blown to full screen. Meanwhile video I wanted to watch gets added to playing now of ''video'' zone. But when I try to start video playback from playing now of the ''video'' zone I get a popup window saying something went wrong with the playback.

In case if it's relevant: I start video playback from within windows explorer

Thanks

pfm555

• World Citizen
Re: ZoneSwitch. What am I doing wrong?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2015, 01:57:05 pm »

First off let me say that I am not familiar with starting video from windows explorer so I don't know how this affects the zone switch. Just looking at your zoneswitch rules they are conflicting. You have media type = video on both. The music rule should be media type = audio.

newHAPPYuser2015

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2015, 02:31:19 pm »

The rule for music zone uses "media type is not video". I didn't think it would be conflicting. Nevertheless, I substituted it for "media type is audio" and it made no difference. The behavior is the same.

pfm555

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2015, 01:15:10 pm »

Explain what you are actually wanting to happen  with the two zones. as far as the error have you gone into each zone and selected the default audio device. right click on the zone>playback options select default audio.

newHAPPYuser2015

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2015, 03:34:42 pm »

as far as the error have you gone into each zone and selected the default audio device. right click on the zone>playback options select default audio.

When creating "video" zone I copied all settings from "music" zone so it should be fine I guess? Also as I mentioned in the first post video plays fine if music isn't playing before opening a video file.

Explain what you are actually wanting to happen  with the two zones

I wanted to setup a separate zone for video so that video zone would have different volume level.

I try to use JMC for video playback but keep reverting back to the other program which I usually use for video playback. Like JMC for music though.

pfm555

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2015, 08:10:52 am »

I would suggest read the wiki on zones. There are a number of posts that explains how zones and zoneswitch work. That said, each zone needs to have its own device. For example, my setup has the video zone's  default audio device set to AMD HDMI Output (AMD High Definition Device) [WASAPI]. This sends 5.1 to my video zone. I have the audio zone's default audio device set to HIgh Definition Device [WASAPI]. This sends two channels to my audio zone. My pre pro has multiple zones capabilities. I have the speaker jack from the computer connected to the second zone input. The output from the second zone on the pre pro is connected to a separate amplifier which powers the speakers for my audio zone. In my case the audio zone is to provide outdoor music.  With the multizone feature on my prepro I have separate volume in both zones. In my setup I don't want to stop playback in either zone so I leave it blank in the zoneswitch rules.  This enables me  to play music outside and watch a movie inside at the same time. If I want music in both zones I use zonelink. Maybe someone else with more knowledge of zones can give you a better solution but this works flawlessly for me. Hope this helps.

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2015, 09:22:42 am »

In case if it's relevant: I start video playback from within windows explorer

This is probably your problem; to confirm: does it work correctly when you play video or audio from within MC (not using explorer)?
Pages: [1]   Go Up