INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: is it normal to have a longer loading time of videos when played back on android  (Read 1771 times)

HTPC4ME

• Citizen of the Universe
  • LIFE IS A RADIO... CRANK IT UP TO 11!

ran some tests tonight on windows laptops on home wifi network, after loading Main library and then choosing to play something in the library from the server on the client, the videos (no matter the size) instantly play... If i scroll/FFWD/RWD on any laptop on wireless network it's instantaneous.

however when using any android device (gizmo, eos) on cellphone/tablet there is always a 5, 10, 20 second load time, also anytime I scroll/FFWD/RWD on the android devices there is also a 5,10,20 load time.

is there a setting or something i can tweak, so that our android devices load/FFWD/RWD as fast as laptop devices while on home network?

Thanks

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!

This is normal.  When playing to an Android tablet, MC kicks off a Transcoding Stream for the video then server that stream to your device once it has buffered at bit.  The time it takes will be dependant on the transcoding power of the PC running MC Server and the type of video that needs to be transcoded.  When you do a seek, it has to start the process again at the new seek point.

Edit - there will also be a bit of buffering happening at the Android end as well.

By comparison when you do this on another PC running MC (if it is using "Play local file if one matches Library Server file is found") is the same as if you were playing it on the server (almost instant).
JRiver CEO Elect

HTPC4ME

ok, thanks Jmone
quickie...being the server im using is only used for jriver... is there a way to speed up transcoding power? use all processors at full potential or something?
 it has 16gb ram, ssd for OS, i7-2600k@3.40 3.7ghz
thanks

By comparison when you do this on another PC running MC (if it is using "Play local file if one matches Library Server file is found") is the same as if you were playing it on the server (almost instant).
yes, it's really fast, and smooth.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!

Mmmm. I just tested on my i7-3770K / SSD / 24GB (Win 8) MC Server and a Blu-ray started playing on my Remote (EOS) in 6 sec and I don't think the two CPU are that different performance wise.  Have a look in Resource Manager and see what is happening when you kick off your playback on the remote.
JRiver CEO Elect

HTPC4ME

mine was precisely 6 seconds as well with eos, for 1:59:00 movie. :)
CPU went to 91% instantly, then after a second or 2, faded down.
guess thats the fastest she'll do.
Thanks for test, and info Jmone
Pages: [1]   Go Up