INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Will using an ID or NUC vs usb hard drive improve sound quality?  (Read 2675 times)

audiojerry

• Recent member

I'm currently use an HDD connected to my laptop 3.0 input running MC 21 with USB out to my dac 15' away from my laptop. I use this setup for audio only and not for networking.  I'm happy with the sound quality, but would using an ID or nuc offer any improvement? 

robt

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Will using an ID or NUC vs usb hard drive improve sound quality?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2017, 02:06:36 pm »

The simple answer I would suggest is probably not, with a rider that if the rest of your equipment is top end then there might be small gains to be had.

A laptop is a potentially noisy environment with spinning hard discs and power supplies that will introduce a small amount of noise. A NUC with an SSD can be a better source, but unless you have a top notch DAC, amplifier and speakers the gain will probably not be noticeable. If you are chasing the ultimate then perhaps its worthwhile. I went from an expensive Cyrus streamer to a NUC and although I didnt notice any difference in sound quality, I did gain the flexibility of JRiver.

I personally think a NUC is the way to go being so small and versatile and compared with some other dedicated equipment, much cheaper too!

Interested to hear others thoughts on this subject...

audiojerry

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2017, 02:28:27 pm »

Thanks for the reply, robt,

I wouldn't mind using a nuc to run MC, but then wouldn't I also need to add an operating system, keyboard, mouse, and monitor?

robt

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2017, 02:48:44 pm »

If you buy an Intel NUC, I think I'm right in saying that they are all licensed for Windows 10 (but perhaps others know better!). Mine came with Win 10 pre installed.

You dont need the other items, I control mine either remotely from another machine using VNC (a free remote access program), my Android tablet (with Gizmo or Eos) and a cheap second hand Logitech Harmony One remote controller. For the last option, I do have a screen attached. I never intended to use it that way, I originally thought I'd use it "headless" for audio only, but as soon as you realise what JRiver can do, ie add TV, video and photo viewing as well as superb music playback it just seemed a no brainer to add a screen.

On the odd occasion I want to update the bios or similar, I just plug in a dongle from a Logitech wireless keyboard from my desktop. I can particularly recommend the Logitech remote as I have it configured to switch on the NUC, screen, DAC, and amplifier with one button press and off is also one button. And it works brilliantly with the theatre view in JRiver. TV is supplied by an HDHomerun tv server, another neat solution.

So many options, and its very satisfying to get it all working!

audiojerry

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2017, 11:29:53 pm »

If you buy an Intel NUC, I think I'm right in saying that they are all licensed for Windows 10 (but perhaps others know better!). Mine came with Win 10 pre installed..............................

That sounds like a great setup!  Which model Intel did you get and from where?
Pages: [1]   Go Up