INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Creating a playlist with music from different libraries  (Read 5380 times)

wrogers814

• Recent member
Creating a playlist with music from different libraries
« on: May 05, 2016, 09:18:01 pm »

Hi:

I must be missing something. I am trying to create a playlist with files from different libraries. I have all my Jazz musinc in one library, my R & B music in another. my 'American songbook" music in another, etc. I want two create a playlist with music from these different libraries. How is this done?

Using MC20 on win 10

Thanks

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Creating a playlist with musiv from different libraries
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2016, 09:52:20 pm »

You can't do that, but why are you using separate libraries?

wrogers814

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2016, 02:01:31 pm »

I think it's due to my lack of understanding of how to effectively and efficiently implement the library features of MC.I imported my Jazz, Classical, pop, and soul + R&B+ blues albums into separate libraries because I felt that  putting everything into one library would be too much stuff and make it too cumbersome and time consuming to search and select.

I take from your reply that there is a way to organize your music collection (I have thousands of pieces) in one library. If so, clue me on this.

Thanks,

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2016, 04:19:24 pm »

I take from your reply that there is a way to organize your music collection (I have thousands of pieces) in one library. If so, clue me on this.

This question could be answered with a rather long explanation.  For right now, I'm just going to give a little basic answer that hopefully will push you in the right direction.

One of MC's "killer features" that's really not found in any other media player is "Media Views".  Over in the left navigation pane, you'll see items like Audio, Video, etc.  Inside Audio you'll see Albums, Artists, Panes, etc.  All of these are Media Views.

Media Views can be customized in a LOT of ways.  You can also build your own!  I would suggest building several top level media views, probably inside of Audio, that group your collection in a way that makes sense to you.  Maybe you'd like to just build 4 top level views to emulate the way you already organized it using independent libraries.  So you'd build top level views of:

Jazz
Classical
Pop
Soul/R&B/Blues

For each of these views, you can set rules for what will be included, or excluded.  I would expect that you could make Jazz use "Genre=Jazz" (and any other jazz related genres).  Same thing for Classical.  Pop would probably be the hardest, but still not that hard.  You'd set up Pop so that "Genre is not equal to ..." and then list the genres that are NOT pop (jazz, classical, Soul, etc).

Each of these views will now only show those parts of your collection.

There's lots more detail that can be discussed about this.  I'll leave it here for now.  Try some experiments.  If you have questions, ask and we'll try to help.

Good luck!

Brian.

wrogers814

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2016, 08:56:27 pm »

Brian:

Thanks much; an excellent explanation. You have provided me with a clear and exciting roadmap.
Pages: [1]   Go Up