INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Discs 1 & 2 track sets are mixed into one  (Read 4590 times)

tuneup

• Galactic Citizen
Discs 1 & 2 track sets are mixed into one
« on: May 04, 2015, 06:02:41 pm »

I rip discs using dBpoweramp Batch Ripper on a Nimbie USB Plus. When I look at a 2-CD set directly in my Synology 214play (using my computer to view the NAS contents) or if I look at the notes in Batch Ripper, it shows 2 different discs named Disc 1 and Disc 2 inside the folder with the album name. But when I try to play the album in JRiver or JRemote, the discs are mixed into one and there is no Disc 1 or 2 listed as part of the album name. Track 1 of Disc 1 is followed by track 1 of Disc 2, track 2 of Disc 1 is followed by track 2 of Disc 2, etc. and they play in this messed up order.  :-[ :-[ The naming I used is:

[IFCOMP]#2 - VARIOUS ARTISTS\[album] [IFMULTI] \CD[disc]\[]\[track]_[title]_[Album] _[artist][][IF!COMP][IFVALUE]album artist,[album artist],[artist][]\[album] [IFMULTI] \CD[disc]\[]\[track]_[title]_[Album]_[artist][]

Is the problem in the naming? If so, what should I change/add? If not, what could be causing this problem?

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Discs 1 & 2 track sets are mixed into one
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2015, 06:33:14 pm »

Does the sorting of your view include [Disc #]?  Are the files actually tagged in MC with that field properly?
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

blgentry

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2015, 07:24:40 pm »

Glynor's got it.  I've had this happen a few times.  In each case for me, it was simply that the Disc# wasn't included in the song files metadata.  Adding the disc# to each one fixed it so that it displays exactly as you'd expect.

Brian.

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2015, 08:24:38 pm »

Just to add, the names of the folders are not what is used to differentiate the track in MC, the tags do that.  If the disc # tags is not set, once in MC, you can select the album and sort on filename, which should list the disc 1 tracks together and the disk 2 tracks together, based on the folder names. That makes it easier to select the tracks in order to add the disc # tags.

Arindelle

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2015, 04:13:56 am »

Glynor's got it.  I've had this happen a few times.  In each case for me, it was simply that the Disc# wasn't included in the song files metadata.  Adding the disc# to each one fixed it so that it displays exactly as you'd expect.

Brian.
yes, Brian's right on this. Just make sure you have a disk number in the box on the main screen or when reviewing metadata - doesn't matter if it 1 or 1/3. Also verify that the disk# is being written to disk in the metadata options.

Also remember to correct the Album name from "Whatever, disk 2" to just "Whatever" for all the disks in the set. Otherwise you will have multiple folders for the same album with just one sub folder. Looks like a mask similar to the one I use ;)

No need to re-rip of course, you can modify the pathname from within JRiver just make sure that field displays - don't have to use the Rename, Move tool for this.

tuneup

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2015, 04:42:01 pm »

Thank you all very much. I will dig into this and reply further.

Yes Arendelle, that's your mask. What, you don't have multi-disc sets in your pop collection?  ;) ;) Or did I just make an ignorant joke because disc # doesn't belong in your mask, but somewhere else?

Arindelle

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2015, 04:54:22 pm »

Thank you all very much. I will dig into this and reply further.

Yes Arendelle, that's your mask. What, you don't have multi-disc sets in your pop collection?  ;) ;) Or did I just make an ignorant joke because disc # doesn't belong in your mask, but somewhere else?
I think I had a pint too many   not following you ;D ... sure I have a lot of 'em, they're there on purpose

tuneup

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2015, 09:10:51 pm »

Just to add, the names of the folders are not what is used to differentiate the track in MC, the tags do that.  If the disc # tags is not set, once in MC, you can select the album and sort on filename, which should list the disc 1 tracks together and the disk 2 tracks together, based on the folder names. That makes it easier to select the tracks in order to add the disc # tags.

I am still quite the newbie here. I hunted in the wiki and used every drop menu, but don't see how to "sort by file name" or how to add meta data tags in JR. I think I did misinterpret the disc # choices and therefore left out the disc # tag in dBpoweramp so I think I have now corrected that, but will have to test it with another multi-disc set.

Arindelle, I see the disc # doesn't belong in your mask, but in meta data tags. So you didn't have a pint too many and I apologize for the mistaken joke.

blgentry

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2015, 09:41:16 pm »

^ Go find the album in question in one of the views.  Album view might be an easy one.  Make sure you have a list of all the songs, with columns for their attributes.  One of those columns should be filename.  If it's not there, right click on one of the column headers and choose filename, and it should then appear.

Click (regular left click) on the filename column header and it should give you an option to temporarily sort by filename.  Once that's done, verify that the songs are in the correct order, grouping discs together.  Next, select all the songs from one of the discs.  Say disc #1.  With them selected, choose "Tag".  You can do this by right clicking on a song and finding the "Tag" menu item.  Or just press <Alt>Enter.

That will bring up the Tagging pane on the left.  You should see a nice list of metadata tags.  If it's a small list, find the little box at the upper left of the Tagging Pane and click it.  Select "show all tags" from there to show every tag available.  Find the Disc# tag.  Fill it out as the proper disc number.  Press enter.  Now that whole group of songs should be tagged with the correct disc number.

Now highlight all of the songs on disc 2, and repeat.  Then disc 3, etc.  It took a whole lot longer for you to read this than it will take to actually tag them.  It's pretty quick.  :)

Good luck.

Brian.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2015, 11:03:22 pm »

http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Sort_the_Content_Pane
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Fill_Properties_from_Filename
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Library_Fields

A whole bunch of the wiki around Media Views and basic use of Standard View is, unfortunately, woefully incomplete and out of date.  It is on my project list for the wiki certainly, but it is a huge job.

However, there are a ton of great links. In particular, if you read the Organizing My Media thread linked from the Fill Properties article listed above, you'll probably be in much better shape than you are now.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

tuneup

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2015, 11:14:51 pm »

Thank you so much Brian and glynor! I will dig into this as soon as I can.

tuneup

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2015, 09:37:29 pm »

Click (regular left click) on the filename column header and it should give you an option to temporarily sort by filename.  Once that's done, verify that the songs are in the correct order, grouping discs together.  Next, select all the songs from one of the discs.  Say disc #1.  With them selected, choose "Tag".  You can do this by right clicking on a song and finding the "Tag" menu item.  Or just press <Alt>Enter.

Previously, for some reason, I only tried right-clicking on the filename column. When I left-click, I am able to do exactly what you said and the 2 discs are now separated. THANK YOU BRIAN!  :D

blgentry

« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2015, 10:06:06 pm »

Yay!  Glad my advice helped.  Now you're on your way to a perfectly tagged music collection!

Brian.

chrisc

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2015, 02:40:01 am »

Hope this is in the correct thread!  Not quote the same as the OP, but to do with the library

Three days ago, imported a 3 CD set of Clara Schumann Piano.  Before importing, I checked the meta-data to make sure all the fields were correct.  CD1 was labelled Volume 1, CD2, Volume 2, etc.  Imported these into the library.  When I went to Audio view, it showed me volumes 1 and 3, no trace of volume 2.  Also, volume 3 only contained 5 tracks out of the 18

Why does JRiver do this?

Yet this morning when I looked again, all 3 albums are stored and catalogued correctly!
If music be the food of love, play on
Pages: [1]   Go Up