INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: WMA Conversion  (Read 2521 times)

OleBoot

• Recent member
WMA Conversion
« on: May 02, 2015, 05:51:13 pm »

If I use Library Tools, Convert Format to create lossless WMA files from flac files, they always end up as 16/44.1.  I thought that lossless WMA supported up to 24/96?

Vincent Kars

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: WMA Conversion
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2015, 01:28:49 pm »

It does.
What is the bit depth and sample rate of your FLACs?
As far as I know JRiver converts to the same sample rate and bit depth as the source

OleBoot

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2015, 01:40:37 pm »

It does.
What is the bit depth and sample rate of your FLACs?
As far as I know JRiver converts to the same sample rate and bit depth as the source

I've tried  24/48 and 24/96 FLACs, and all end up as 16/44.1 after conversion.

blgentry

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2015, 04:45:01 pm »

In the Convert pane at the lower left, you'll see Options.  Click that and you'll get a big dialog box.  Near the bottom center of that dialog is a part that says "Apply DSP..." and a clickable link that for DSP Settings.  If Apply DSP is checked, then the DSP settings will get used, including and Output Format settings that you have set up.

If that's not it, try to convert to a different format like ALAC or something else that can contain 24/96 audio.

Good luck.

Brian.

OleBoot

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2015, 05:12:50 pm »

Tried every combination I could think of, and result always the same. I must admit at this point that my reason for asking this was pure curiosity - I am converting the files for use in a new car, and I am not certain if the higher res formats would be supported anyway.  The car has the infamous Ford Sync, and it seems the only lossless formats supported are WMA and WAV. As WAV files would have been too big, I went for WMA. Thx for the suggestions.

blgentry

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2015, 07:01:28 pm »

Modern Sync systems can be a real PITA.  I've played WAV from them, but haven't tried WMA of any flavor, let alone lossless.  I think in your situation I'd probably eat my principles and just convert to a very high bit rate lossy file like 320 kpbs MP3 or 256kpbs AAC or something.  Whatever makes browsing easiest on the Sync.

OTOH, I'd also probably try to replace the Sync system since:

A)  I love good car stereos.
B)  Sync is odd and makes upgrades that use the Sync head unit problematic.

But you didn't ask that!  Good luck to you.

Brian.

OleBoot

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2015, 07:49:02 pm »

LOL, Sync takes you to the lowest common denominator. I found that the Sync system had a real problem with cover art and song titles with WMA files, so I ended up converting the files on my computer with JRiver to the highest quality MP3. Even on the car stereo, they seem a little bit flatter than he WMA lossless, but good enough. Particularly if the wife is with me and doing the incessant talking thing.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2015, 09:57:52 am »

Conversion to WMA Lossless will always be 44.1 and 16-bit.

Use another format if that's a problem, like APE or FLAC.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

OleBoot

• Recent member
Re: WMA Conversion and Volume Leveling
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2015, 06:21:01 pm »

I understand now that WMA lossless files are limited to 16/44.1, but now have a question about volume leveling when I use convert format to create files for use in my car on a USB drive. I enabled DSP in the options box and checked Volume Leveling in the DSP options. I then simply selected all the albums I wanted to convert and did a Convert Format. Individual albums are good, but there is a big difference between albums. Do I need to put everything I want to convert in a Playlist and then select all tracks in the Playlist and hit Library Tools, Convert Format?  If so, how would I add albums at a later date? Would I need to add to the Playlist and convert the whole Playlist again?
Pages: [1]   Go Up