INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC Client - sometimes get unable to write to C:  (Read 944 times)

csimon

• Citizen of the Universe
MC Client - sometimes get unable to write to C:
« on: May 07, 2015, 03:09:34 pm »

I have a tablet that I'm running an MC client on to a server PC that has a TV tuner.

Sometimes, but not always (and I don't know what to do to reproduce it), I get an error dialog on the client exiting the Tools/Options dialog (in Standard View), along the lines of "Unable to write timeshifting buffer to C:".

MC on this client is running under the Guest account, therefore should definitely not have access to C:. But I don't know why the client should be attempting to write a file locally when this should happen on the server.

The timeshifting location in the TV options on the client is as the default, i.e. the Videos directory in the user profile (Guest).  The location on the server is also as default, i.e. the Videos folder of the user that the server instance is running under.

I assume that, when connected to a library server, none of the TV options on the client are actually relevant or used?  Just that the TV feature must be enabled on the client before you can access the TV on the server?

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Dogs of the world unite!
Re: MC Client - sometimes get unable to write to C:
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2015, 03:58:32 pm »

We do test write to specified file location.  That probably is the cause.  However, if it is the user's video folder, we should not have an access problem.

Some settings are still needed on the client.  For example, well, probably not on a tablet, if you have a tuner on the client, MC uses it for live TV playback, so that the tuners on the server can record other channels.  In such cases, the recording and time-shifting location is still relevant on a client.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center
Pages: [1]   Go Up